It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board

• My Hemorrhoidectomy Story

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-15-2008, 10:06 AM   #1
    girlymom
    (female)

girlymom HB User
    My Hemorrhoidectomy Story

Well, I'm 4 days post op and I seem to have had, so far, a different story from everything else I've read on these boards. I am also highly opinionated so bear with me.
    I am 32 years old with 2 little girls. I currently weigh about 103 and am 5'4" tall. I gained 50 pounds with my first daughter (born April 2004) and had minor hemorrhoids during my pregnancy due to the weight gain. My blood pressure was perfect throughout and my doctor was not concerned in the slightest. However, I went 6 days past my due date and my daughter ended up being 8lbs3oz and did NOT want to drop into the birth canal so I pushed for over 2 1/2 hours to get her out. That was after being in labor for 3 days. MAJOR hemorrhoids within the first few minutes of pushing. My second pregnancy was different except that I gained over 50 pounds again. I went 4 days past my due date but didn't push at ALL because she popped right out at 6lbs10oz. I did not get my epidural for my second daughter because the anesthesiologist was in back to back surgeries for hours and hours.
    I lost all of the weight by breastfeeding for 13 months for my first baby and 14 months with my second. No pumping or supplementing. Just nursing.
    Okay, that's my history.
    I've had this one internal hemorrhoid that becomes thrombosed about 2 or 3 times a year since. The only time it REALLY hurts is if I tried to push it back in. Other than that it was just a little annoying and REALLY grossed me out. I can be spread eagle popping babies out of my vagina in front of strangers but anything to do with the backside grosses me out.
    My GP wanted to have it banded but I'm an end results kind of person and don't like anything that has a high chance for recurrence. I'd rather just do what's going to work the best to begin with.
    I saw a colorectal surgeon and he said he could either remove that one that bothered me or he could do one major surgery to get rid of everything I had in there. As I said, I'm an end results kind of person so I said to just do it all.
    Now, for some reason I thought he was going to do the PPH Hemorrhoidopexy. Let me preface this by saying that I had breast augmentation surgery on 7/11/08 (see previous comments about nursing for a total of 27 months!) and was scheduled for this surgery on 8/11/08. I think it's God's way of keeping me humble.
    I will say that my surgeon has horrible communication skills so if you're considering this procedure, PLEASE find someone who lays it all out on the line for you and tells you everything you need to know and more.
    The day of surgery, I just had my husband drop me off at the outpatient surgery center at the hospital. I chose not to do this inpatient because I cannot handle IV's and didn't want it in me all night long. Plus I knew I could relax easier at home...even with a 4 and 2 year old hanging on me.
    I still thought I was getting PPH so when the nurse put the consent form in front of me to sign and it said "Complex Hemorrhoidectomy" I was more than shocked and started to cry! All of these other patients had their families with them and I was all alone. By choice, I know, but still.
    So she started my IV and told me my surgery was pushed back half an hour! That would have been okay but it ended up being pushed back an hour! So I was knocked out at 1pm. I hadn't eaten anything the whole day before the surgery because I didn't want to poo the day of the surgery. I'd even taken some Miralax and Fiber Sure. My surgeon asked for a harmonic scalpel if that means anything. I woke up at 2:30 and my butt ached a bit but my leg really hurt. The nurse said my legs had been up in stirrups. Not a pleasant thought! She pushed some kind of pain meds into my IV and gave me a Percocet pill.
    I didn't see my dr at all and was discharged at 3:30. I kept having gas and when I got home, I felt leaking into my underwear and ran to the bathroom to find that the Miralax had finally kicked in. I had major (although painless) diarrhea. I wasn't really that uncomfortable all evening until I woke up at 4am in LOTS of pain. I had taken a Vicodin and a Valium at bedtime to help me sleep. At 4am I took some more Vicodin and it didn't help at all so I took another Valium and went back to sleep. My mom took my girls all day long Tuesday and my husband went to work. I laid on the couch and dozed all day. When I woke up at 4pm, I felt much better and had very little pain.
    I had had diarrhea again and started to worry about that stenosis thing. I've been eating lots of fiber foods and sprinkling Fiber Sure on everything I eat and into my water bottles.
    Wednesday I did a Fleet enema and had a poo quickly afterward that was really mushy but at least not diarrhea. A little sharp pain but not too bad.
    The only thing that really helps with the pain is to take a Vicodin and then another Vicodin an hour later.
    Yesterday, Thursday, I had a real poo with no help (other than the milk of magnesia and Senakot) and it was thin, but not super thin, and hurt, but wasn't excruciating. Today again I woke up feeling pain but it hasn't been as bad as I thought it would be. I think it has something to do with having gone through childbirth and having that as a basis for comparison. I've been using the sitz bath occasionally.
    I also called my dr office yesterday and found out that he removed 3 large internal hemorrhoids including the one that was coming out so I have lots of external stitches as well... one of which came off in the shower the other night.
    If you have any questions for me, please let me know. It's been 4 days and I do see a light at the end of the tunnel. I am a very optimistic kind of person and there have been times I've cried out to God for Him to take the pain away from me and also praising Him for the fact that there is a procedure to take care of these hemorrhoids. I'd rather feel excruciating pain for a few weeks now than sporadically throughout the rest of my life. I figured I'd heal better the younger I am when I get it done so that was my argument for doing it now rather than wait until my girls are a little older and more self-sufficient. I do have "bubbles" in the skin on my anus that looks like more hemorrhoids but I think that's just swelling that will go away.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-15-2008, 09:05 PM   #2
    mymich
    (female)

mymich HB User
    Re: My Hemorrhoidectomy Story

When I had mine I was in severe pain and did not go to the bathroom for 5 days. Then I looked and noticed a small corner of something sticking out. Come to find out, the nurse left the packing inside of me when she was to remove it before I left. The pain was so intense because I had to PULL IT OUT MYSELF in a warm bath. My makings of a nightmare horror flick!!

Old 08-15-2008, 11:12 PM   #3
    girlymom
    (female)

girlymom HB User

Yikes! I've actually read that a lot of times they leave the packing in there on purpose and that you're supposed to pass it during your first BM.
    When I had my first baby, I only had a second degree tear when her shoulders came out, which required 7 stitches. Besides the severe hemorrhoids, I was so afraid to push out any poo that I didn't go for 5 days. The same thing happened when I had my second baby except for that I didn't have any hemorrhoids! But 5 days is such a long time that I have been taking stool softeners and laxatives and sprinkling Fiber Sure on EVERYTHING since my hemorrhoidectomy to make sure that I have a BM every day. I'm also taking tons of GasX because when I toot I'm never sure if it's going to be a BM so I run to the bathroom and sit down to pass gas every time!

Old 08-26-2008, 11:46 AM   #4
    anida43
    (female)

anida43 HB User

I'm having my surgery in the morning and in a last minute attempt I was hoping to find someones story that does not sound like a nightmare when I came accross yours.
    I'm having external and internal hemmoroids removed that I've had for years from (like yourself) pregnancy and child birth. Most of the posts I found here make it sound horrible and I came close to backing out. But the Dr's I've seen and consulted made me feel like it's not as bad as I see in these posts. Don't get me wrong, my surgeon did tell me that I will hate and curse him out for the first week but it does get better after that.
    I've had surgeries before, regular kiddney stones (very painful) and natural chaild birth twice, third time C-section so I consider myself no stranger to pain. Even people that I've spoken to in person that have had this procedure (including my family doctor) told me it's painful but still nothing like some of the stories I've read here. Your story gave me hope that I can do this. So thank you, wish me luck and I will come back after the surgery and let you know how my surgery and recovery is going!

Old 08-26-2008, 10:45 PM   #5
    girlymom
    (female)

girlymom HB User

I'm so glad you decided to go through with your surgery and I hope you have as successful of a recovery as I have had. I actually had a kidney stone when I was 20 weeks pregnant with my first baby. That hurt.
    It was 2 weeks yesterday since my surgery and I'm doing great. At my 1 week follow up dr appt, my surgeon was out of town so I saw a different one and he was really surprised at how well I was healing. He said I had almost no swelling at all and that I'd had a pretty major surgery. Since my last post, I started feeling much better over a few days and went off the Vicodin on day 5. Then on day 8 or so, I must have opened things up a bit during a bm because I had a really bad day that rivaled day 2. But the next day things started getting better again. The only really irritating thing is how much it itches! It feels like when you haven't wiped well enough after a bm.
    Be careful with the sitz baths! They feel wonderful after a bm, but I got a UTI! I use the prep h wipes after every bm and just try to take a few showers each day to cleanse that area.
    Here's my post op advice...
    Make sure you start taking your Vicodin just a few hours after your surgery. You'll feel okay because the local takes 12-24 hours to wear off, but I woke up at 2am moaning and in agony that first night. If your stomach can handle it, take 2 Vicodin along with some stool softeners. I personally looked at the ingredients on the box and only took the kind that said "stool softener" and not "laxative." I think I ended up with one of the Dulcolax brand ones.
    Take Gas X. It's amazing. It's the same ingredient that's in Mylicone that we give to babies for gassy tummies. It really works! I'm hooked!
    Make sure to get a script from your dr for Lidocaine jelly 2% or Lidocaine ointment 5%. It helps with the pain and the itching.
    Another option is and over the counter gel with benzocaine 20%. I tried to use that Dermoplast that the hospital gave me for my stitches from having my first baby. It doesn't help with this. I found out it's alcohol based, which is not good. So look for stuff that doesn't have any kind of alcohol listed as an inactive ingredient. I personally tried several different things and found that what worked best is Orajel Maximum Strength Gel. Make sure it's the gel and no alcohol listed on the back. It also has menthol or something in it and it instantly takes away the itch and pain. Lidocaine lasts longer but takes longer to kick in. I think I like the Orajel best. So you can find that over by the oral care stuff. A nice side effect is that when you pass gas, it smells better!
    I started driving again on Day 6 after my surgery. My 4 year old started preschool on Day 8 so I've been driving around quite a bit! I also got some of those Rite Aid brand wound pads (the 2x3 or the 3x3 work best) and put a fresh one against my rectum every time I went pee or had a bm after reapplying the Orajel or lidocaine. It keeps the area dry and I think that has something to do with how quickly I have been healing and how little swelling I had.
    I was supposed to start my period the day after my surgery so I skipped the blank pills in my birth control pill pack and immediately started a new pack. I actually did start a week later on Day 8 or 9, but it was so much better than if I'd had it during that first week.
    The worst part about the recovery from this surgery is that every day is a new day of healing because you open things up a little bit every time you have a bm.
    I hope things go well for you and let me know if you have any questions at all!
    God bless!!!

Old 08-26-2008, 10:54 PM   #6
    girlymom
    (female)

girlymom HB User

One more thing...
    I just read my original post and saw that I posted about "bubbles" that felt like hemorrhoids. Those did go away. The external stitches have all dissolved and now I can just feel where the skin is split. I'm sure that the crazy itching is from the tissue healing itself without the stitches.
    I also took Valium every night, sometimes 2, for 10 days. Probably a but excessive, but I don't like to be in pain or discomfort and I woke up too many times during the night in pain.
    Also, after that first post, the pain during a bm got worse. Sorry. The pain with every bm was really bad until about Day 10. Now it doesn't hurt, but it feels irritated. And itchy.

Old 09-02-2008, 11:37 PM   #7
    girlymom
    (female)

girlymom HB User

So I'm now 3 weeks 1 day post op and consider myself 95% recovered. I have occasional itching but my bowel movements are normal with no bleeding or discomfort. The skin feels probably 80% back to normal. I don't know if it will get back to normal completely but it's not a beauty contest and no one ever sees that area anyway... except for the nurse who does my laser hair removal! And I think she's seen worse. I actually pushed back my most recent appt a few weeks so that it would have more time to heal.
    Things are going well!

Old 06-24-2009, 08:38 PM   #8
    jlb1191
    (female)

jlb1191 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by girlymom View Post
    So I'm now 3 weeks 1 day post op and consider myself 95% recovered. I have occasional itching but my bowel movements are normal with no bleeding or discomfort. The skin feels probably 80% back to normal. I don't know if it will get back to normal completely but it's not a beauty contest and no one ever sees that area anyway... except for the nurse who does my laser hair removal! And I think she's seen worse. I actually pushed back my most recent appt a few weeks so that it would have more time to heal.
    Things are going well!
    Hi, a few questions if you don't mind. How many external/internal did you have removed? For what seems like the worst (10 days) how much were you able to do as far as your kids, around the house etc. Trying to decide between a pph and traditional. Have alot of responsibilities at home and cannot be out for long but do not want to do this again!!! Have the same attitude as you and glad to hear everything went well for you--thanks!!

Old 06-26-2009, 12:53 AM   #9
    girlymom
    (female)

girlymom HB User

Wow! That surgery was almost a year ago! From what I remember, I was truly out of commission for just a few days. I drove to the dr 7 days after my surgery and he was surprised at how well I was healing. I had 3 stage 4 hemorrhoids; one which was prolapsed. When I went in for my surgery, I was under the impression that I was getting a PPH and was shocked to find out it was a complex hemorrhoidectomy. From what I was told, PPH has a much higher chance for recurrence. The thing that helped the most was taking Vicodin and Valium together at night. That was the only way I was able to sleep.
    I had just 2nd degree tears when I had each of my girls and I think that hurt worse. The only thing about this surgery was that every day when I would have a bm, the incisions would reopen a bit and have to start healing again. But if I didn't have consistent bm's, I would get constipated and it would make it worse. The hot water sitz baths were the only thing that gave me total relief for a few minutes, but ended up giving me a UTI, so ask for extra antibiotics just in case! Make sure it's an antibiotic that won't cause a yeast infection! The donut pillow didn't help at all. The only position I could lay in or sit on was on my side.
    Overall, I would say it was a total success. I still had a little flap for awhile, but it's gone. I'm not trying to win any beauty contests!
    Let me know if I can answer any more questions!

Old 06-26-2009, 04:58 AM   #10
    jlb1191
    (female)

jlb1191 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by girlymom View Post
    Wow! That surgery was almost a year ago! From what I remember, I was truly out of commission for just a few days. I drove to the dr 7 days after my surgery and he was surprised at how well I was healing. I had 3 stage 4 hemorrhoids; one which was prolapsed. When I went in for my surgery, I was under the impression that I was getting a PPH and was shocked to find out it was a complex hemorrhoidectomy. From what I was told, PPH has a much higher chance for recurrence. The thing that helped the most was taking Vicodin and Valium together at night. That was the only way I was able to sleep.
    I had just 2nd degree tears when I had each of my girls and I think that hurt worse. The only thing about this surgery was that every day when I would have a bm, the incisions would reopen a bit and have to start healing again. But if I didn't have consistent bm's, I would get constipated and it would make it worse. The hot water sitz baths were the only thing that gave me total relief for a few minutes, but ended up giving me a UTI, so ask for extra antibiotics just in case! Make sure it's an antibiotic that won't cause a yeast infection! The donut pillow didn't help at all. The only position I could lay in or sit on was on my side.
    Overall, I would say it was a total success. I still had a little flap for awhile, but it's gone. I'm not trying to win any beauty contests!
    Let me know if I can answer any more questions!
    Thanks so much for the info--it really helps!!!!!

Old 07-17-2011, 05:54 PM   #11
    jackforce1
    (male)

jackforce1 HB User

good to read a story where someone's rectum didn't turn inside out, seems like there aren't many of those on here

you and i think the same way about this whole thing, rather be in lots of pain a little while than chronic pain forever!

The Following User Says Thank You to jackforce1 For This Useful Post:
    girlymom (07-18-2011)
    Closed Thread