It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board

• Stopping Flagyl

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-26-2008, 10:31 PM   #1
    Forristicat
    (male)

Forristicat HB User
    Stopping Flagyl

Hey guys

I have been on Flagyl (Metronidazole 400 mg) for about 2 months (3 tablets a day) after having an operation for an abcess, and inflammed bowel being removed. I was also diagnosed with Crohn's Disease. I went today to talk to a gastroenterologist about stopping the Flagyl (read a lot about the side effects), as i have been feeling tired in general, having some pains in the hands (like nerve pains?)...and diarrahoea even though this Flagyl is meant to supposedly help with this. Also some mild nausea and a lack of appetite

The Doctor kept on referring to a study and mentioned that if he gave 100 people who had Crohns flagyl and 100 who had crohns did not have flagyl for a 3 month period the people on flagyl for the 3 months post op would do better...whatever.

He did say tho if it is making you too sick that that is my life and ultimately my decision to stop the medication. I have been on it for 2 months and have also been on it being on the IV drip version of it when i was in hospital. I have not taken it since yesterday lunch time in order to give myself a break from this crap- and perhaps give my good bacteria time to recover. I am thinking of stopping this for a while and only continuing it if things get worse...what is everyones opinion on this? I dislike antibiotics in general and while i realise i had to have them, i have been on them for a little over 2 months and dont see the point of taking it for 1 further month, considering how powerful this stuff is.

your thoughts?

Last edited by Forristicat; 08-26-2008 at 10:36 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-25-2010, 08:36 AM   #2
    James uc
    (male)

James uc HB User
    Re: Stopping Flagyl

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Forristicat View Post
    Hey guys

I have been on Flagyl (Metronidazole 400 mg) for about 2 months (3 tablets a day) after having an operation for an abcess, and inflammed bowel being removed. I was also diagnosed with Crohn's Disease. I went today to talk to a gastroenterologist about stopping the Flagyl (read a lot about the side effects), as i have been feeling tired in general, having some pains in the hands (like nerve pains?)...and diarrahoea even though this Flagyl is meant to supposedly help with this. Also some mild nausea and a lack of appetite

The Doctor kept on referring to a study and mentioned that if he gave 100 people who had Crohns flagyl and 100 who had crohns did not have flagyl for a 3 month period the people on flagyl for the 3 months post op would do better...whatever.

He did say tho if it is making you too sick that that is my life and ultimately my decision to stop the medication. I have been on it for 2 months and have also been on it being on the IV drip version of it when i was in hospital. I have not taken it since yesterday lunch time in order to give myself a break from this crap- and perhaps give my good bacteria time to recover. I am thinking of stopping this for a while and only continuing it if things get worse...what is everyones opinion on this? I dislike antibiotics in general and while i realise i had to have them, i have been on them for a little over 2 months and dont see the point of taking it for 1 further month, considering how powerful this stuff is.

your thoughts?
    This messeage is in response to Stopping Flagyl:
    I want to make it clear that I am not the type of person that jumps on the band wagon just because everyone else has. I can only speek from my personal experience. I was prescribed flagyl after a small UC flare up between remicade treatments. Like always, I did some internet research on this drug before taking it. The side effects and horror stories almost seemed unreailistic but I kept in mind that most people that are going to take the time to post something are the ones that had problems. After much debate and discussion with my health and wellness manager at work, my wife (An internal Med. Nurse of 21 yrs), and my family Dr, I desided to keep an open mind and follow through with taking FLAGYL. Day 1: The first night I took this medicine, I felt like my head was swimming and I felt funny. I had a strange feeling and felt uneasy and nervous. I was scared and did not want to be alone. Well, I made it through the night and felt OK the next morning. I took my morning dosage and really didnt feel too bad. I went to work and made it half the day before I really started feeling bad. I have been blessed with a wonderful wife in the medical career field so I left work to have bloodwork done. Day two: Again, I woke up and really didnt feel horrible other than it seemed my UC symptoms were a little worse (loose stool, mucus, and blood). Other than fatigue that I blamed on my UC, I really didn't feel that bad. That all changed after the second dose that day. I felt like I was about to die. I had flu like symptoms, first I had chills, then it turned to hot flashes, and then I was spaced out. Around 4:00 to 5:00 pm I started feeling better, so I thought. The severity of the symptoms worsened but I insisted on continuing the treatment for the full course because I was suspected to have C Diff and I did not want to take the chance of contributing to the nurturing of another antibiotic resistant bacteria. Along with the horrible taste in my mouth, my tougue felt like it was on fire and had what looked like blisters on the very back accompinied by what I thought was thrush. My neck felt like it was being squeezed but I did not have trouble breathing. My head was cloudy and at times I would catch myself staring off at nothing at all. My neck also ached and I started to develop a sharp pain between my shoulder blade and backbone that would hurt when I took deep breaths. Needless to say, I only was able to suffer through this for a total of 6 days of the 10 day treatment before my wife forced me to stop. It has been four days now and the horrible taste and thrush like symptoms are getting better but are still hanging on. I still have unrested sleep with weird dreams and wake up with a nagging headache. In short, I felt like this medicine was killing me, like I was being poisoned. I am sure that not everyones experience is not as bad as mine and this may be a great medicine but if you have any of these symptoms dont make the mistake I did by continuing to take this medicine.

Closed Thread