It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board

• constipation help please

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-03-2008, 10:17 AM   #1
    jennyp72
    (female)

jennyp72 HB User
    constipation help please

Hi Everyone

I am hoping someone has had the same problems and can advise me. I have really bad constipation- I usually only go once every 7-10 days. This gives me horrible pains in my abdomen and extreme bloating and discomfort. I have been to a GI and he did a colonoscopy recently. The colonoscopy came up fine- the only thing he said that my bowels have a lot of "twists and turns" which is common for women. All he said was to start a high fiber diet and take miralax if I don't have a bowel movement in 3 days.
    So I started the high fiber diet, AND using the miralax, and nothing has changed. Even with the miralax I can't go to the bathroom. It is SO uncomfortable.
    Even when I had the colonoscopy prep- the laxative was supposed to work after 1 hour and mine didn't work until 6 hours later- I almost had to cancel the colonoscopy b/c the laxative did not work on me.

Any advice? Has this happened to anyone where miralax and fiber supplements (like metamucil) does not work (or takes DAYS to work?)

Any comments appreciated- this is affecting my personal and professional life- I'll do anything to fix it!
    Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-03-2008, 04:51 PM   #2
    suzyljank
    (female)

suzyljank HB User
    Re: constipation help please

Hi, miralax can take 3 days to start working and you can tailor it to you. If the capful doesn't work take a little more. I eat a high fiber diet, take benefiber 2-3 times a day and a capful of miralax before bed and 1/2 tablespoon miralax when I wake up. It's also important to drink lots of fluids. It takes a while for a high fiber diet to kick in along with the rest of the stuff but don't give up. If miralax doesn't help try milk of magnesia. Lots of people take this on a daily basis. Good luck and I hope you find relief soon. Suzy

Old 10-03-2008, 06:41 PM   #3
    Mildred1260
    (female)

Mildred1260 HB User

same here! i go every 5 to 7 days with hard bowl movements> the only thing that help is fresh pecans from my tree or fresh roasted 1 day old peanuts. unfortunately this year the pecans trees have zero pecans....grrrrrr!

Old 10-05-2008, 05:41 PM   #4
    Luvmydog
    (female)

Luvmydog HB User

Have you tried using any probiotics, like Activia yougurt. It really helps me stay regular. If you don't like yogurt, you could try acidopolous (sp) in capsule form. Phillips has some new digestive health product on the market as well. Good luck

Old 10-06-2008, 12:45 AM   #5
    lucylucy
    Veteran
    (female)

lucylucy HB User

I had similar experiences. Miralax didn't seem to help me either, but I only took the regular dose for two different days. The whole bottle worked for my colonscopy prep, but took longer than I expected. I think it's safe to increase the amount of Miralax and you can take it every day for a while. It might be something that works better over some time.

Dulcolax worked faster for me.

I think my digestive system is just really slow. Most people digest and pass everything in just a few days, but I swear it must take me two or three times as long, especially if I'm not very active. After I had a barium test, it took more than a week to pass it all. It's been a week since my colonoscopy and I still don't feel back to normal yet.

If I want to avoid pain, it's really important for me to prevent constipation with water, fiber, and exercise. Otherwise my body overreacts, and the constipation is followed by diarrhea and pain. Fiber is helpful in preventing constipation, but it takes too long to work once constipation has really set in. The benefiber helps to soften the stools, but I'm not sure it helps them move any faster.

I would continue to take the Benefiber, but add more natural sources of fiber too - fruit, high fiber cereal, high fiber bread, beans, salad, etc. (I feel best when I eat frosted mini wheats every day.) And drink WATER, lots of water. I think activity helps my system move a little faster too. I get constipated faster when I'm sedentary. I don't get to walk much in my normal day, so I have to make a point to take a walk or go to the gym at night.

Old 10-07-2008, 08:04 AM   #6
    Harry
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User

It sounds like you are not drinking enough water and taking enough fiber -- both soluble and insoluble fibers.

Old 01-29-2009, 12:23 PM   #7
    crissyjune
    (female)

crissyjune HB User

Hello, I happened upon your question about your troubles with abdominal bloating and constipation. I know that sometimes ovarian troubles will cause these symptoms as well. I am not trying to diagnose you, but if you are still suffering and it is not getting better, you might want to talk to your gyn doctor. I hope this helps. crissyjune

Old 03-02-2009, 09:49 AM   #8
    jennyp72
    (female)

jennyp72 HB User

Hi Everyone

Thank you for all of the great advice...here is an update. I am still suffering from constipation, but it has gotten a little better. One thing that REALLY helped was going to a nutritionist. She gave me a list of high fiber foods and helped me figure out what I could add to my diet. The MOST help she gave me was to tell me to take 1-2 teaspoons of ground flaxseed every day. For a few months this helped me to be regular again. I think my body has adjusted to it so it is not helping as much (every 4 days usually, was 2-3 days when I started flaxseed). But I highly recommend it. I eat it every day in my Activia or Yo-Plait digestive health yogurt. Aside from that in order to maintain some type of regularity I have to eat 20-25 grams of fiber a day, drink tons of water and exercise.
    That being said, I am more regular but still VERY bloated in between each bowel movement. I still feel extremely frustrated and at the end of my rope. I have to work very very hard on my diet just to try and be normal. My stomach is in constant distress. It impacts my social life because I am so self-conscious and every day that I am bloated I wonder if I gained wait and am fat. It's horrible.
    Anyway, recently I started adding benefiber to my daily fiber regimen. I think if I kick up my exercise it will help as well. BUt I still have not found the "cure" to my problems.
    Im sorry if anyone else has to go through this because it is horrible.

Old 03-02-2009, 10:50 AM   #9
    kennyboy
    (male)

kennyboy HB Userkennyboy HB User

Hello, as you have said that your body has adjusted to the flax seed (which was helpful) try changing things a little so that you stop your digestive juices from adapting so readily. You could take flax seed oil (only a teaspoon, morning and night) with oat bran and top up with two desert spoons of coconut oil. Then the following week go back to the flax seed. Alternate between the two.

You don't mention taking oil in order to emulsify your stools so I take it you haven't tried that strategy. Worth a try at least. Read my posts on the use of oil, particularly olive oil to keep your movements soft and regular. Cheers.

Old 03-02-2009, 08:24 PM   #10
    jennyp72
    (female)

jennyp72 HB User

No I have never heard of oil for this...I will look for your posts and try it. I will try anything! Thanks again

Old 03-17-2011, 03:28 AM   #11
    hilda02
    (female)

hilda02 HB Userhilda02 HB User

Hi there . First of all I have had many colonoscopies for the same reason as yourself severe constipation to the point were I have recently gone 3 weeks without bowel motion. Incidently I have suffered with constipation since my teens I am now 60. Anyway went for bowel irrigation which moved small amount paid £45, but it was the information given to me which seems to have worked brilliantly. I was told to take flaxseed twice a day with cereal said to myself oh no here we go again but decided anything was worth a try. Decided I would need a good clear out before I started to take this. took the usual concotion to make me go which eventually worked senna lactulose docusate you know the usual. Anyway then decided to start the flaxseed. Nothing after taking for about a week then hey presto started to get normal feelings of wanting to go to the toilet amazed! Started off about once ever couple of days and now 3 weeks of going every day I just cant believe it. What you must remember if you try this is you must drink plenty of fluids this doesnt include tea as that acts as a diuretic. If you do try please let me now and as for needing an operation youve probably just got a sluggish bowel especially if you have been taking laxatives over a long period of time as you know this does make the bowel very lazy. Anyway good luck I hope this helps Oh by the way the seeds need to be ground up to work better I started off with 1 tablespoon morning and tea time I now only take one in the morning but dont forget the fluids that is very important otherwise it will have the opposite effect Let me know how you get on

Last edited by Administrator; 03-18-2011 at 08:33 PM.

Old 04-30-2011, 07:14 AM   #12
    flipfleury
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

flipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jennyp72 View Post
    Hi Everyone

I am hoping someone has had the same problems and can advise me. I have really bad constipation- I usually only go once every 7-10 days. This gives me horrible pains in my abdomen and extreme bloating and discomfort. I have been to a GI and he did a colonoscopy recently. The colonoscopy came up fine- the only thing he said that my bowels have a lot of "twists and turns" which is common for women. All he said was to start a high fiber diet and take miralax if I don't have a bowel movement in 3 days.
    So I started the high fiber diet, AND using the miralax, and nothing has changed. Even with the miralax I can't go to the bathroom. It is SO uncomfortable.
    Even when I had the colonoscopy prep- the laxative was supposed to work after 1 hour and mine didn't work until 6 hours later- I almost had to cancel the colonoscopy b/c the laxative did not work on me.

Any advice? Has this happened to anyone where miralax and fiber supplements (like metamucil) does not work (or takes DAYS to work?)

Any comments appreciated- this is affecting my personal and professional life- I'll do anything to fix it!
    Thanks
    Are you drinking at least 64 oz. a day of water with the increase of fiber and taking Miralax ? If you don't drink enough water this will constipate you even more. Taking Miralax,Metamucil, and Citrucel don't produce a bowel movement for least 12 hours and as long as 72 hours after you take it. always drink another 8 oz. glass of water right after taking miralax. The stool that is already in your rectum is already too large,hard and dried out for the miralax to work on this, so take a glycerine suppository to try to soften that stool up and break up so it's easier to pass.If that doesn't work within 2 hours try using an oil based enema. You might already have a bowel impaction. This has to be removed by manually putting a gloved hand with vaseline on it and putting up your rectum and pulling the stool out with your index and middle finger. I don't recommend that you do this yourself but go to the emergency room and have a doctor or nurse do this because you could cause internal damage . Try exercising everyday for at least 30 minutes a day as this helps to move the stool down your colon faster. One of the best ways I have found to keep me from getting constipated is to eat a bowl of oatmeal with ground flax seed,cinnamon and 6 stewed prunes, and taking Citrucel with fresh squeezed lemon juice for added flavor and 1 tsp. of L-glutamine powder. I warm the water and lemon juice in the microwave for 1 minute before I add the Citrucel and L-glutamine powder. after I finish eating my breakfast in about 20 minutes later I go sit on the toilet for 30 minutes to have a bowel movement. I use only slow deep breathing exercises and kegel exercises.( also known as pelvic floor exercises) I take slow deep breaths and hold it to the count of 15 and I do this 3-4 times in a row as this helps to put enough pressure on the abdominal muscles to push the stool out on its own without straining or squeezing your stomach and forcefully pushing the stool out. I do this method everyday at the same time. Most of the time now I don't need to sit on the toilet for 30 minutes because I usually have a bowel movement within 2-5 minutes of sitting on the toilet. I stay on the toilet for another 5 minutes to make sure my bowels are done moving and they have completely emptied out. I have had chronic constipation since my early childhood so for me this method has been a miracle because I no longer have anymore constipation problems. Most of the time now I have two bowel movements a day, one in the morning after breakfast and one in the evening after I get home from work. I know much it hurts to pass large,hard and dried stool by straining and forcing the stool out that why I changed my eating ,drinking,and bowel habits because I am tired of the painful times of trying to have a bowel movement after every three or four days of not having one. I have read that being chronically constipated puts you at a much higher risk for colon and rectal cancer because when the stool sits in the colon too long the toxins build up in the stool and it releases these toxins into the colon. That's why our body is made to get rid of the waste material (stool) at least once a day or every other day. I also read it is best to have a bowel movement everyday for overall good colon health and our general health.

Old 04-30-2011, 11:01 AM   #13
    Harry
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User

You need to take a fiber like metamucil or citrucel daily 2 or 3 times daily.

I think you are not intaking enough water soluble fiber daily. I take just plain psyllium seed husk powder mixed with a glass --followed by a glass of water twice daily.

You just need to follow the directions on the container. They will work.

Harry

Last edited by Harry; 04-30-2011 at 11:05 AM.

Old 11-16-2011, 08:02 PM   #14
    flipfleury
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

flipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB User

Quote:
    Hi Everyone

Thanks
    I have IBS-A since 1996 but I have had chronic constipation problem all my life before the diagnosis of IBS. This is what I have found works for me the best since the early part of March of this year: I sit on the toilet every day at the same time to have a bowel movement for at least 30 minutes. When I started doing for the first 2-3 days I used a glycerin suppository to soften the stool inside my rectum to make it a lot easier to pass. I also put a glove on and put vaseline inside my anus and around the outside to make passing the stool easier and keep my skin from becoming irritated. I didn't strain or force instead I did slow deep breathing exercises which actually helps in aiding in having a bowel movement and it doesn't hurt like it does when you strain or force the stool out. I know how much that hurts because I have done that for so many years and it's like a searing knife cutting me up inside my rectum. This takes time,patience,and commitment to do this every day for at least 30 minutes or until you produce a bowel movement. I use the slow deep breathing exercises every day to help facilitate in having a bowel movement. I also had to make major changes in my eating and drinking habits. I eat 25-35 grams of dietary fiber every day and drink 64 oz. of water every day. I take Citrucel in the morning and then again in the evening after work. I eat oatmeal with flax seed,cinnamon and brown sugar and six stewed prunes for breakfast,for lunch a tossed salad,a piece of high fiber fruit like pears,strawberries,blackberries,raspberr ies, and dinner either chicken or fish and two vegetables like carrots,spinach,a winter squash,broccoli. Limit your cheese,chocolate,and bananas as these contribute or make constipation worse. This morning time on the toilet has been a lifesaver for me in keeps the bowels moving every day and it helps all my other symptoms from the IBS diminish almost to nothing especially the severe abdominal cramps,trapped gas problem and the explosive diarrhea episodes far and few between . I do have food allergies which I have a big negative effect on the IBS. No more feeling like I am sitting on a rock inside my rectum or the searing knife pain. I can't deviate from this program at all or I pay for it dearly the next day.

Old 11-16-2011, 08:07 PM   #15
    flipfleury
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Quote:
    Hi Everyone

Thanks
    I have IBS-A since 1996 but I have had chronic constipation problem all my life before the diagnosis of IBS. This is what I have found works for me the best since the early part of March of this year: I sit on the toilet every day at the same time to have a bowel movement for at least 30 minutes. When I started doing for the first 2-3 days I used a glycerin suppository to soften the stool inside my rectum to make it a lot easier to pass. I also put a glove on and put vaseline inside my anus and around the outside to make passing the stool easier and keep my skin from becoming irritated. I didn't strain or force instead I did slow deep breathing exercises which actually helps in aiding in having a bowel movement and it doesn't hurt like it does when you strain or force the stool out. I know how much that hurts because I have done that for so many years and it's like a searing knife cutting me up inside my rectum. This takes time,patience,and commitment to do this every day for at least 30 minutes or until you produce a bowel movement. I use the slow deep breathing exercises every day to help facilitate in having a bowel movement. I also had to make major changes in my eating and drinking habits. I eat 25-35 grams of dietary fiber every day and drink 64 oz. of water every day. I take Citrucel in the morning and then again in the evening after work. I eat oatmeal with flax seed,cinnamon and brown sugar and six stewed prunes for breakfast,for lunch a tossed salad,a piece of high fiber fruit like pears,strawberries,blackberries,raspberr ies, and dinner either chicken or fish and two vegetables like carrots,spinach,a winter squash,broccoli. Limit your cheese,chocolate,and bananas as these contribute or make constipation worse. This morning time on the toilet has been a lifesaver for me in keeps the bowels moving every day and it helps all my other symptoms from the IBS diminish almost to nothing especially the severe abdominal cramps,trapped gas problem and the explosive diarrhea episodes far and few between . I do have food allergies which I have a big negative effect on the IBS. No more feeling like I am sitting on a rock inside my rectum or the searing knife pain. I can't deviate from this program at all or I pay for it dearly the next day.

Closed Thread