It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board

• trying to get a colostomy reversal

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-19-2008, 03:07 PM   #1
    candi66
    (female)

candi66 HB User
    trying to get a colostomy reversal

I had a colostomy in dec.of 2007 due to an abscess diverticulitis. During my recovery, when my first 6 months were up and ready to have a reversal I had a major heart attack, now I have had to wait another 6 months, I am trying to get permission from my heart doctor to have the surgery. I am scared he may say no and I will have to wait longer. was wondering if anyone had been thru simular problems. I am not sure what to expect.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-22-2008, 04:00 AM   #2
    oscarooney
    (female)

oscarooney HB User
    Re: trying to get a colostomy reversal

Hi, I had an unplanned colostomy after gynae surgery went wrong this past May (bowel perforation that went undetected). I was told it would be six weeks until it could be reversed, but because I was very seriously ill and had several complications (lung collapses, DVTs, infections, laparotomy wound breaking down, blood transfusions) it turned into 3 months. Where my colostomy was sited meant the bag was leaking almost daily and was a very distressing time so those 3 months felt like years. Although I didn't want to listen, a surgeon friend at the time said that the wait was the best thing for me as my body may not have responded positively to reversal any earlier. I know that you don't want to hear 'be patient', but in my case at least I was fully ready for the reversal, it was successful and I have recovered well. If you don't feel confident in your consultant's opinion regarding the timing, however, I wouldn't hesitate in getting a second opinion. It's your body! Good luck.

Closed Thread