It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board

• Stabbing lower back pain and bowels

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-18-2008, 08:17 AM   #1
    Gavi112
    (female)

Gavi112 HB User
    Stabbing lower back pain and bowels

For past year I have been experiencing a severe short stabbing pain in my lower back about one inch to either side of my spine - it affects one side or other but not both as same time - I tend to have one side for a few weeks then changes to other side.

It seems to occur when my bowel is active - as I get the crampy bowel feeling then the short stabbing pain.

I have had colonoscopy - had my appendix removed no infection found ( not related to this pain) and an exploratory op and all looked normal in small bowel, kidneys etc. Ultrasounds of organs. Endless blood tests. FEcal occult blood tests and stool samples.

I do have lumbar spine problems with 2 herniated discs and degenerated discs as well.

Usually my pain is confined to mornings as that is when I have most of my bowel movements - I usually go up to 4 times in morning and am loose then last thing in evening pass rabbit like droppings and mucus. This is normal for me for many many years.

Every Dr tells me that I have IBS hence the frequent bowel movements and the alteration in stool form and mucus and that damaged spinal nerves may be causing the pain before a bowel movement or when my bowel is active.

One explanation is that my bowel activity could physically be touching a nerve from my spine hence the connection and the fact it moves sides but is at exact same level.

I have just had another lumbar mri and am waiting results.

Just wondered if anyone can relate as its so weird but rather nasty!

The Following User Says Thank You to Gavi112 For This Useful Post:
    Jojo911 (10-01-2012)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread