It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board

• "Natural" Laxatives for Constipation?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-13-2009, 12:32 PM   #1
    Sunka
    (female)

Sunka HB User
    "Natural" Laxatives for Constipation?

Hi, I am having issues with constipation. I use an antacid and also pain medication that I just found out can cause constipation. It's not unusual for me to go 5 days without having a movement, and a lot of times I have to strain just to get a little result. I read a couple of discussions that mention "natural" laxatives, could anyone share what they are? I have been trying "Smooth Moves" tea by Traditional Medicinals, and that worked great once, but this last time I just got abdominal pain and a lot of gas. The Metamucil didn't help much, either. I would like to go the natural route if possible. I am afraid that if I go to my dr with this issue that he will blame the pain medication and my life would be unbearable without it. Thanks for any help and advice!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-13-2009, 02:52 PM   #2
    kennyboy
    (male)

kennyboy HB Userkennyboy HB User
    Re: "Natural" Laxatives for Constipation?

Oat bran, coconut oil, 2 desert spoons of olive oil with each meal. 1 sachet of soluble fibre containing Ispaghula husk with each meal. Plenty of fresh friut and vegetables and as much water as you can drink. These are all natural stool softeners that will work without side effects. As you have found out already single brand remedies will probably give you pain and wind eventually and in my experience should only be used infrequently.

Old 04-13-2009, 10:35 PM   #3
    Sunka
    (female)

Sunka HB User

OK, thanks, I will try that, I'm all for non-chemical solutions. I would be afraid to become dependent on them and THEN where would I be!! Thanks again!!

Old 04-14-2009, 04:04 AM   #4
    kennyboy
    (male)

kennyboy HB Userkennyboy HB User

Thanks for replying.

The aim for you should be to try and achieve an emulsified stool (which is a stool containing oil and water). The oat bran (and other fibers from your fruit and vegetables) soaks up the water you drink and stops the stool from drying out too much and becoming hard in your colon, which is what constipation is. Over the counter remedies don't do that and can be quite painful when they mess up the bacterial balance in your gut. None of the ingredients I've mentioned will do that.

You might get a bit of wind while your bacteria adjust to the new concoction but eventually it will settle down. It is hard to overdose on any of the things mentioned. Cretans for example consume up to 31 litres of olive oil a year and they are the healthiest people in Europe. The only thing you might need to limit is the oat bran because if you have any diverticulitis developing in your large intestine then it could cause problems but if you have a healthy large intestine you should have no problems at all with any quantity. I take a heap of about four desert spoons with my breakfast and have no problems at all.

The Ispaghula husk (soluble fiber) you can get with a product called Fybogel which we get in the UK over the counter. Pregnant women and children can take it because it's so harmless but you might need to find an alternative brand if they don't sell Fybogel where you are. Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Old 04-16-2009, 08:01 PM   #5
    Sunka
    (female)

Sunka HB User

I'm not sure of the health of my large intestine. I'm not sure if that's where the problems start or if it's in the smaller intestines. I can eat fiber and take Metamucil and get NO results for days. It affects my eating, too, I can't eat if I still feel full or bloated. I'm just starting on Philips Probiotics, been taking them for about a week now, with no visible results; I'm thinking it might take a little longer?? But I'm definitely going to try the oat bran/olive oil remedy next payday when I can afford to stock up. A big problem is my dr doesn't take my complaints very seriously; one time I was on a medication that made my hair fall out, and he just laughed & suggested Rogaine...so I'm not confident of his assistance in this area, you know? But I'm relieved (no pun intended) to know you guys are out there to talk to when I need to!!! Thanks!!

Old 04-17-2009, 01:35 PM   #6
    auntjudyg
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

auntjudyg HB User

I have only been on pain medications for short stints, and in general get sufficient fiber from veggies, fruits and legumes; but when I travel so that that is not always possible, I have used fiber supplements along with Triphala. Triphala is an ayurvedic remedy that has been used for hundreds of years on the Indian subcontinent. It is not stimulating the way Senna, Cascara, and some other herbal laxatives can be.

Good luck!

Old 04-19-2009, 08:22 AM   #7
    NY 1009
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

NY 1009 HB UserNY 1009 HB UserNY 1009 HB User

Sunka,
    I just came across your post and wanted to tell you what I use and what my sister uses that's all natural. I JUST answered another persons post too about it on another post about it.
    It's called, "Bentonite Clay" and is ALL natural and has been used for many centuries for it's medicinal properties all over the world. The holisitic practice is familiar with it. AND it's cheap. or affordable I should say.
    PLUS they used it to treat the soldiers in the Balkan war of 1910 during the cholera outbreak to reduce mortality. It worked for something like 63%

It softens the stool gently. You don't get harsh bowel movements such as having to run to the bathroom in case you have an accident. It's gentle....

It comes in liquid form in a bottle already made up, or in powder form where you can mix it yourself and you only have to take a tablespoon or two a day. I only take 1 Tbl in the morning on an empty stomach one hour before eating anything.
    Another thing I use is sodium bicarbonate with other solutions in it such as potassium bicarbonate, magnesium bicarbonate and calcium bicarbonate.
    I drink it a few times in water through out the course of my day and have no problem going to the bathroom when I take it.
    it's when I run out of the product do I start having trouble again. I can't get this one at my local health food store.

Also, another natural thing I eat, is "green apples" before bed time. I know we're not supposed to eat past a certain hour, but I do and it helped. PLUS prune juice and dried prunes. They're not only healthy for us, but delicious too. you just have to make sure not to eat too many of them, otherwise you'll be running to the bathroom when you least expect it. LOL

Hope I was of some help to you,

Linda

Old 04-19-2009, 10:31 AM   #8
    Sunka
    (female)

Sunka HB User

Thank you so much, Linda and AuntJudy!! You know, I may have to re-think the prune juice thing. I've always associated it with a 'grandma remedy' and maybe I need to realize that grandma had these problems and that its a solution, right?? Can one find that clay in a herbal store?? I tried an oat bran/coconut oil/olive oil mixture and was displeased with the olive oil residue in my mouth - plus didn't notice any result, maybe it's one of those things where you need to take it more than twice to see results. ((Yes, I tend to be a little impatient when I want to GO)) In the meantime, I'm reminding myself to not strain and push. Also I just found out the cholesterol medicine my dr just put me on has constipation as one of the side effects, maybe it's time to have a talk with the dr and say HEY these meds are doing this. **sigh**
    I'm just so grateful to have people to talk to this about!! Thank you so much!!

Old 04-22-2009, 12:04 AM   #9
    osteopath09
    (female)

osteopath09 HB User

22-04-2009, 04:26 PM

Osteopath
    Newborn Join Date: Apr 2009

Free osteopathic treatments

We are looking for males/females that have been suffering from constipation for over 3 months.

The study invloves 4 free osteopathic treaments with follow up questionairs.

The treatment is very gentle, involves massage, articualtion and a variety of other techniques.

By treating constipation in this natural way you can help other conditions such hemorrhoids.

The treatments will take place at Victoria
    university Osteopathic clinic on Flinders lane in the Melbounre CBD, Australia

If you are interested please call 9919 1043.

Old 04-23-2009, 01:05 PM   #10
    Sunka
    (female)

Sunka HB User

Oh boy, now we have bots in healthboards, not just chat rooms! Whatever generated this automatic post????

Closed Thread