It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board

• Hemorrhoidectomy and fissurectomy (SP) today.. This am Here is what i have done

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-07-2009, 03:03 AM   #1
    Scaredmomof3
    (female)

Scaredmomof3 HB User
    Hemorrhoidectomy and fissurectomy (SP) today.. This am Here is what i have done

On Monday went to the store to purchase the following:

Chap Stick (anesthesia makes your lips dry)
    Lotion
    Throat Lozenges (the tube they put in your throat after you are asleep makes it very sore)
    Miralax
    Metamucil
    Stool Softeners (hey who knows what is going to work)
    Laxatives
    Magnesium Citrate
    New soft comfy pj's (any excuse for new pj's)
    Pads
    New cheap panties that can be tossed if need be
    Crystal light on the go packets
    Epsom Salt
    Picked up my prescription on Tuesday for pain meds and Valium
    Books and magazines
    Vaseline to put on your bum to keep it from drying out

Monday night, took my first laxative

Tuesday Took second laxative and started eating a diet that was not very bulky, easily digested food

Wednesday all liquid diet, (doctor did not say it was necessary but after what I have read I did it anyway)
    Magnesium citrate was taken around 4:00
    Drank more water that I remember every drinking all day long
    spent lots of time in the bathroom went to bed early

Thursday - woke up way to early, did an enema (wanted to make certain my colon was flushed and that I would have nothing in there to result in constipation the first couple days)
    Took a bath
    Surgery is at 10:45 will leave the house at 7:30

I will let you all know if all of or any of this seemed to be helpful and update you on how the procedure goes, pain etc.

Last edited by Scaredmomof3; 05-09-2009 at 04:25 AM. Reason: add item to shopping list

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-07-2009, 12:50 PM   #2
    Scaredmomof3
    (female)

Scaredmomof3 HB User
    Re: Hemorrhoidectomy and fissurectomy (SP) today.. This am Here is what i have done

Okay I am home from the surgery. Real quick update

I got their late due to traffic, they could see I was stressed so I was given a happy pill right away.. Which made all things fine with me.

They did my IV gave me more meds, then before I knew It I was rolled into the OR. I was given a different medicine and the next thing I know I am waking up cold as can be in a different room.

I was in post op for 2.5 hours as I did not want to wake up. Once I was good and awake I was moved to PACU 2

and now here I sit at home

I have thrown up twice, which is a new to me I have never gottten sick with anesthesia before.

I am not in any pain as of yet, but I am still highly medicated.. I will update you as things move on and out..

Old 05-08-2009, 05:59 AM   #3
    Scaredmomof3
    (female)

Scaredmomof3 HB User
    Re: Hemorrhoidectomy and fissurectomy (SP) today.. This am Here is what i have done

Friday, Day one after surgery.

I did okay yesterday after the procedure, I arrived at the hospital late due to an accident, this stressed me beyond believe. Thank goodness the doctor noticed my distress and got me a Valium right away, within no time I was calm and settled.

The nurse put my IV in and well she missed the vein and had to try again, so as you see my day is not starting out all that great.

Finally all the meds are in me and off I go to the OR. I am in there maybe five minutes before they give me the meds to knock me out. The nest thing I know I am waking up in PACU. I am not really in pain at this point I am just very groggy, however that changed in about 30 minutes time. At which point they gave me meds to help with the pain.

My husband talked the dr into letting me go home. I could have strangled him. I wanted to stay overnight. I could have gotten better meds

My biggest problem yesterday was the feel that I needed to urinate and the fact that I could not go. I was also very nauseated. I could not eat anything, thank goodness I was not hungry.

I took a bath late last night and too my surprise I was able to pee, however it was in the tub and I have found that is the easiest way, Gross I know, but I showered after.

Now for the pain, yes it hurts and it hurts like nothing I know to compare it with. As you all know that is a very sensitive area. At first the plan was not to have any stitches, however due to my history of blood loss and transfusions they decided to sew me up.

They removed three hemorrhoids, one external and two internal. For packing they used a gel that will gradually dissolve.

I have had a very small BM, it was all liquid so it was no big deal, again the biggest problem is not being able to pee unless I am in the bath.

I got up bright and early this morning and have already had two baths I am managing my pain for the most part. Moving around is okay, not the best in the world just okay.

Old 05-09-2009, 04:24 AM   #4
    Scaredmomof3
    (female)

Scaredmomof3 HB User

Two days after surgery.

Yesterday was not a fun day at all. I continued to have issues with going to urinate, I did sleep a good bit, that seemed to be the only time I was not in pain.

The doctors office called around 3ish to check on me. I spoke with them about not being able to go pee and the fact tha I had yet to have a true BM. I was then told that it could take up to 72 hours before I have one, especially seeing how I cleansed prior to the procedure.

I commented that I thought that while the baths were helping to relieve the pain while I was in there that they were also drying out my skin and that I believed that was causing me more pain. She told me to try putting vasceline on my back side when I get out.

All I can say is why the heck did she not tell me that before. I am now going pee without the bath, and well my backside does not itch or feel so dry, the pain is so much better.

SO GET VASELINE and put it on your bum...

I have not had a pain pill since 2:00 am, it is now 7:30 here, so five hours, today is my day to stretch them out to six hours. I would like to be off of them by Monday. So far so good.

I hope that this is helping some of you who have yet to go through this procedure.

Old 05-10-2009, 05:49 PM   #5
    Scaredmomof3
    (female)

Scaredmomof3 HB User

Okay three days post op and well still no bm I am doing everything they said and even cut out the pain meds. Considering that I am hurting like hell that was a big one. If no bm by morning I am taking a pill. sorry but I am hurting to bad to keep on like this.

I have thought of doing an enema but damn that sounds painful.

other than that nothing is new

Closed Thread