It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board

• how long does it take to heal after fissure surgery

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-04-2009, 03:05 PM   #1
    jocomom2
    (female)

jocomom2 HB User
    how long does it take to heal after fissure surgery

I had surgery for an anal fissure, internal and external hemrhoids 14 days ago. I still cannot go back to work. The pain is horrible. Having a BM is not as painful as it was initially but the pain afterward lingers for hours. I'm still taking hot baths several times a day. I still have drainage and am wearing a small cottonball to collect this drainage. I've been out of work 2.5 weeks. When will this get better? My doctor said about 10 days....obviously he's never had this surgery

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-29-2009, 03:24 PM   #2
    MUC
    (male)

MUC HB User
    Re: how long does it take to heal after fissure surgery

Not supposed to have hot baths - warm. Tried 30 ml of mineral oil and juice 2x day? Hemmerhoids take longer to heal than fissure and sphincterotomy. Are you overdoing fiber diet? What about ointments? Oily topical ones, and inserts like prep H CAUSE me to have spasms and pain.

Old 08-29-2009, 06:50 PM   #3
    jocomom2
    (female)

jocomom2 HB User
    Re: how long does it take to heal after fissure surgery

Thanks for the response. It's been 14 weeks since my surgery. I'm almost healed. I've had several post op visit and have had to have granulation tissue removed but overall I'm much better. My surgeon said it's not unusual to take this long to heal given the amount of "work" he had to do for me. Mineral oil, fiber, etc is not good for me since I have irritable bowel. I did not have to take any laxatives or stool softeners following my surgery since I have IBS ( the loose kind). Hot baths worked great because they gave me total relief from a pain. Knowing what I know now, if I could do it over again, I probably wouldn't do it. I think I would have tried a little longer to let the fissure heal with the diltiazem ointment. Anyway...it's all over now.

Closed Thread