It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board

• rectal prolapse

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-30-2010, 07:51 AM   #16
    Linda312
    (female)

Linda312 HB UserLinda312 HB User
    Re: rectal prolapse

Elley - Wow, that's a lot of money. But, if you can afford it at all, and you have as successful surgery as I did, it will change your life. I also live in CA - in the South Bay. My surgeon went in through the abdomen which apparently has more risks, but has less chance to reoccur in the long run. Good luck with everything. Let me know what you decide. Linda

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-30-2010, 10:09 AM   #17
    elley
    (female)

elley HB User

Hi Linda,

Where did you have your surgery and who was your doctor?

Thanks,
    Elley

Old 05-31-2010, 06:03 AM   #18
    Linda312
    (female)

Hey Elley - I had my surgery at Torrence Memorial and it was a good experience. My surgeon was Dr. Ravin Kumar of South Bay Colon & Rectal Surgeons. Good luck with everything. Let me know what you decide. Linda

The Following User Says Thank You to Linda312 For This Useful Post:
    elley (06-19-2011)
    Old 05-31-2010, 07:40 AM   #19
    elley
    (female)

elley HB User

Thanks Linda and I will let you know. Have a great Memorial Day

Elley

Old 06-18-2011, 09:18 PM   #20
    elley
    (female)

elley HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Linda312 View Post
    Hey Elley - I had my surgery at Torrence Memorial and it was a good experience. My surgeon was Dr. Ravin Kumar of South Bay Colon & Rectal Surgeons. Good luck with everything. Let me know what you decide. Linda
    Hi Linda,

Its been a long haul but I'm almost there...It took me a while to get into USC medical clinic, but finally in Nov of 2010 I got into see a colorectual dr. and they decided I needed surgery but since I was having some problems with my bladder that I needed an MRI...Their first appt. was 2/28/11.. then I needed a follow up apt. then an apt. with the Gyn...It is now June and I have an apt. tomorrow to sign the paper work for surgery for the Gyn dept. and on Monday to sign for the rectual surgery..Thanks to a great doctor who help push things through..so finally I am getting closer to getting my life back..How are you doing?
    Elley

Last edited by elley; 06-18-2011 at 09:18 PM.

Old 06-20-2011, 07:54 AM   #21
    Linda312
    (female)

Congratulations! Let me know when your surgery is scheduled. It's really hard right after, but it gets better and better. One thing the doctor didn't tell me was that it would take at least a week for my bowel movements to come back, that's the biggest thing I remember.

The other tip that helped me was from these boards -- for about a month after surgery I really only ate soft, easily digestible foods, potatoes, cottage cheese, a lot of Activia Yogurt. A lot of times your doctor will ok eating whatever you want much sooner, but I followed the advise from here and never had a problem since.

It's been about a year and a half since I had the surgery and my life has improved drastically. I will say, I still have some staining, but nothing like I used to. Also, my "routine" regarding my movements has changed. When I mentioned it to my doctor after surgery he very casually said - "oh yeah, you'll find you have a new normal and it's different for everyone." I assume it will be the same for you. I hope this is not too graphic, but these are things I would have wanted someone to tell me.

Good luck. If you have any questions, I'll be more than happy to try to answer them.

Best, Linda

elley (06-21-2011)
    Old 06-20-2011, 08:49 PM   #22
    elley
    (female)

elley HB User

Linda, thanks for your encouragement. I really needed it today. I went to my 9:00 apt. this morning, thinking all I had to do was sign papers for surgery and ended up waiting over 4 hours...the resident doctor I had was so negative in the way he presented the risks envolved, it made me very depressed. I realize they need to be discussed but it was his whole manner. The surgery is set for 7/28. I appreciate your advise and know these boards are very helpful. When I had spinctoplasty surgery in 2008, I got my best advise and help from here. I know what you mean about after surgery and having a new normal..I thought something was wrong with me, but later learned that was normal. Did you have abdominal surgery?

Thanks again for your help.

Elley

Old 06-20-2011, 08:55 PM   #23
    flipfleury
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

flipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by kristenxrenee View Post
    I been having problems with my bowels, and based on my internet research I'm pretty sure I have a rectal prolapse. It has moved past the point of only coming out when I use the bathroom, and it often stays out and is very painful until I put it back in myself. I've heard if it starts coming out a lot more then it already it is, I will need surgery and not just have it corrected by not straining any longer. Does anyone know how long it will be before it turns into a full prolapse where it comes out by the inches?
    I don't how long it will take for it to become a full prolapse but if you continue to strain and force stool out it will happen sooner than later. Start drinking at least 64 0z. a day of water,eat a wide variety of fresh fruits and vegetables,whole grains found in breads and cereals,nuts,beans,get 30 minutes of exercise daily,make time in your morning routine to sit on the toilet for 30 minutes everyday at the same time to have a bowel movement. Eat breakfast with some fat in it,whole grains in cereal or bread and a fruit high fiber, and a hot beverage.It takes 20-30 minutes for peristalsis to kick in and you should get a strong urge to have a bowel movement. This is the time to sit on the toilet. Do not strain or force the stool out instead take 10 slow deep breaths and then on the 11 th slow deep breath hold it to the count of 15 and then slowly release it and repeat this 3-4 times and then begin the 10 slow deep breaths again and keep repeating the cycle for up to 30 minutes or until you have had a bowel movement. This does work as I do this routine every morning after breakfast. I have had chronic constipation all my life up until I started this morning routine in the beginning of March 2011.My mom used to have to give me a glycerin suppository and enemas and I still had to strain to pass the large,hard, dry stool and it hurt a lot. Even as adult if I don't have a bowel movement at least every other day then I have a hard time having a bowel movement so that's why I have to have one everyday. If I don't drink enough water or eat eat enough fiber then I suffer the consequences by having hard,dry stools that hurt to pass and I have to strain a lot. It's so much easier and healthier to have a bowel movement everyday for me anyways.

Old 06-21-2011, 06:29 AM   #24
    Linda312
    (female)

Hey Elley...

Well, good for you - you got a date. I can understand how you'd be depressed after listening to the doctor, but you're right - they have to tell you. And the risks are there whether they put them "in your face" or not. Just clear your mind now and concentrate that, when it's all over, you'll be much happier.

I've never had abdominal surgery, I'm sure that's pretty rough, too. And you came out of it. This has been my only surgery. I do remember, after having surgery, using the morphine button quite a lot the first day, then after that hardly at all. The big thing I remember was feeling sick, and waiting to "go" or fart so they knew my system was working which took a few days. Then it took over a week after I got home to "do my business," then about a month after that before I started feeling somewhat normal again. I was surprised how long it took once I was home, but truly, it's been great ever since. If I could help you in any way I'd tell you to focus on the end results.

Also, I agree with flipfleury about eating/drinking -- except, no fiber after surgery. It's too hard on your system. I, too, try to have enough fiber/water, but I really introduced the fiber slowly after the surgery -- otherwise you get bad gas.

That's about all I can think to tell you. Let me know if you have any other questions. If not, good luck on 7/28. Keep me updated!

~Linda

The following user gives a hug of support to Linda312:
    elley (06-21-2011)
    elley (06-21-2011)
    Old 07-17-2011, 07:47 PM   #25
    elley
    (female)

elley HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Linda312 View Post
    Hey Elley...

Well, good for you - you got a date. I can understand how you'd be depressed after listening to the doctor, but you're right - they have to tell you. And the risks are there whether they put them "in your face" or not. Just clear your mind now and concentrate that, when it's all over, you'll be much happier.

I've never had abdominal surgery, I'm sure that's pretty rough, too. And you came out of it. This has been my only surgery. I do remember, after having surgery, using the morphine button quite a lot the first day, then after that hardly at all. The big thing I remember was feeling sick, and waiting to "go" or fart so they knew my system was working which took a few days. Then it took over a week after I got home to "do my business," then about a month after that before I started feeling somewhat normal again. I was surprised how long it took once I was home, but truly, it's been great ever since. If I could help you in any way I'd tell you to focus on the end results.

Also, I agree with flipfleury about eating/drinking -- except, no fiber after surgery. It's too hard on your system. I, too, try to have enough fiber/water, but I really introduced the fiber slowly after the surgery -- otherwise you get bad gas.

That's about all I can think to tell you. Let me know if you have any other questions. If not, good luck on 7/28. Keep me updated!

~Linda
    Hi Linda,
    A few questions as surgery draws closer... What web sight did you say you were on to find out what to expect, and what to eat...also how long were you off of work..how long was your surgery?...I will be having bladder repair along with rectual repair so do you know a web sight that has info on that also...

Thanks for all your help and encouragement..

Elley

Old 07-24-2011, 03:49 PM   #26
    Linda312
    (female)

Hey Elley,

Honestly, I found everything on this website. Check over some of the other threads. They were particularly helpful in terms of what to do/expect after surgery. All I can say is -- no matter what your doctor tells you about eating whatever you want... TAKE IT SLOW. I ate easy-to-digest foods for over a month then gradually transitioned and have never had a problem since. I'm not sure about the length of my surgery, I think it was about 3-4 hours. I do remember feeling sick to my stomach right after surgery, and taking full advantage of the morphine press for the first day. After that I didn't use pain killers at all. I didn't have bladder problems, but I'd see if I could find a thread on this site if I were you. Just remember, even if all goes great, you're going to be miserable for about a week. And it will take a few months to even feel somewhat normal. BUT if yours goes like mine, it'll ultimately be a good thing. Take care. Good luck! Let me know. ~Linda

Old 09-14-2011, 08:35 PM   #27
    elley
    (female)

elley HB User

Hi Linda,

Well my surgery was cancelled the day before it was scheduled. I was very upset as I had been waiting for so long and was all ready. I went through a lot of emotions, but bottom line it was all for the best. There was a new Doctor that came on and he wanted to study my file. After all the doctors' meeting together it was decided I really didn't need the bladder surgery and my prolasped rectum was done abdominal/lapriscopic with the colon cut and pulled up and attached, just like yours. The pain was very minimal, and the only real problem I had was diarrhea. The first time I ate about 15 minutes later, I had a big mess, couldn't get out of bed soon enough.
    I had surgery on Thursday morning 8/18, and went home Saturday morning 8/20. I felt great and was so glad I did not have to be cut down my stomach. I had 5 small holes on my stomach.
    It will be 4 weeks since surgery tomorrow and I am feeling good except for not being able to have a real good bowel...I will feel it coming out and go to the bathroom and it will be just a little bit and after this goes on for a while...back and forth to the bathroom it starts to burn when I feel it slipping out..When I seen the doctor on Monday he said to try an strengthen my muscles by pulling them in an holding them and release...many times a day.. Am also having problems with controlling gas..it has a mind of its own..so I like to be close to home at times. I really liked my doctor and was so glad he did the surgery he did and I know soon everything will be better than ever (can't wait). Sorry it took me so long to write. I hope you are doing great.

Elley

Old 09-29-2011, 06:31 AM   #28
    Linda312
    (female)

Hi Elley,

So glad to hear from you! Sorry it's taken me so long to respond, I've just been crazed with work. (Thank goodness) I'm really happy to hear how things came out for you. it seems like it was such a good thing that they cancelled surgery and did the lapriscopic procedure instead. If I remember, it took me about 3 months to fully get back on track. Although, my doctor said to me at one point -- you have to expect a new normal. Which is true, for me at least. Like I don't do a dump in the mornings anymore, I tend to do a little bit all day long. LOL re: gas. I get it, too. Although it has gotten better. I hope you're doing even better now. Let me know how it's going! Best, Linda

Old 10-06-2011, 06:38 PM   #29
    elley
    (female)

elley HB User

Hi Linda,

It was so good to hear from you again, it really helps. I can't believe it will be 7 weeks tomorrow, since I had surgery and yes it does get better. Some days are pretty good and then I'll have a couple off days. I so miss having a good dump first thing in the morning and not having to worry about it for the rest of the day. I remember when I had Spinctoplasty (sp) surgery and the web page on that surgery was so informative. One of the girls said when she went to the bathroom (after surgery) her poop was like turtle heads I so could identify...I thought something was wrong cause my doctor for that surgery didnt explain all that and you just think things will return to normal...not...it took about 3 to 6 months and a lot of experimenting with food...I feel like I'm doing that all over again with this surgery. Thanks again for your encouragement and your sharing.

Have a great weekend Elley

Last edited by elley; 10-06-2011 at 06:39 PM.

The Following User Says Thank You to elley For This Useful Post:
    maddieg1947 (10-07-2011)
    Old 10-13-2011, 12:45 PM   #30
    sally901
    (female)

sally901 HB User

Please help with this problem. I have chronic constipation and I thought I had haemorriods (sp) but after reading these posts I am wondering if I have prolapse rectal. After the BM I try to push the haemorriods in and then lie down for a while till it stays in. A lot of times its okay I don't have pain just a little bulge and after I push it in I am fine. Do you think I might still have prolapsed rectal. How to tell. I am embarassed to go to doctor for this. If it is painful I put the ointment and the pain goes away.
    Would appreciate everybody's help here.

Closed Thread