It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board

• My Hemorrhoidectomy Recovery

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-31-2009, 08:15 AM   #1
    Painindc
    (male)

Painindc HB User
    My Hemorrhoidectomy Recovery

Well thought I would do a rehash of my surgery experience for others. I've found reading the experiences of others has helped give me the support and encouragement I need to make it through.

I should start off by saying I am a 25 otherwise healthy male. Been battling mostly internal hem's since 17! Tried the laser treatment, hydrocortisone, more fiber, diet changes you name it....yeah I've done it. Flares were somewhere in the order of every two or 3 months, although in the last year, they became more frequent.

Decided I wanted surgery while I was still young to get rid of existing skin tags and two internal hem's that were still giving me discomfort after years of treatment. Hems probably not as bad as others on here and didn't need surgery perse.
    DAY ONE

My surgery was scheduled for 10:20 am. I arrived anxiously at the hospital at about 8:00 am. I was given the choice between an epidural and a spinal. The only real difference, as I was informed, was the size of the needle and the fact that I was more likely to get a headache from the epidural. Opted for the spinal. Wasn't too bad, although when they told me to lean over a pillow and the nurse grabbed my shoulders, I envisioned , the pain associated with a spinal tap from Ms. Ever's Boys. Definitely didn't hurt much at all.

Was put stomach down on a metal table and was completely numb from the waist down. Half high and half conscious on something else the anestesialogist had given me, my colorectal doctor went to work. I was in an out but picked up a few things here and there such as, "Notice I'm doing the incision like this", and, " ya see that there?". There was a 3rd year med student from georgetown sitting in on the procedure with my doc.

Well 45 minutes later, seemed more like 10, doctor let me know I was all done. Completely numb from the waist down I needed to be helped back into my "bed" and was wheeled into recovery. They checked my vitals for the next 1.5 hours and didn't release me back to my "final" room until I had regained some feeling in my legs.

Wheeled me back to my room so that the spinal could wear off. Told me that I had to be able to urinate and walk on my own before they discharged me. Was in heaven as the nurses supplied me with ginger ale and graham crackers--I hadn't eaten in 36 hours at that point. Was happily watching tv and thinking to myself..."This is a breeze!" and "I could do this again next week, no sweat!". About 2 hours later started to feel some pain creeping up back there and was promptly given a Percocet. The nurse informed me that I could not have my next dose until 11pm that night.

Well 2 hours later I was discharged. Friend picked me up and we immediately headed for the pharmacy in the Georgetown area. Because it was rush hour pharmacy informed me that it would be a bit of a wait (30 mins) before he could fill my Percocet and Tramadol. At this time the full effects of the spinal and percocet were starting to wear off and my "this is a breeze" attitude began to morph into "oh ******". Decided to hobble up Wisconsin Ave with friend to get some sorbet. Great decision! Took my mind off the now nascent pain. After the sorbet hobbled back down wisconsin, in a hunched over position. The welcoming pain committee was here! What should've been a 30 second walk took about 3 mins. Finally got my tramadol and greedily downed my first dose.

Finally made it back to the house at about a 7-8 on the 1-10 pain scale. Decided the tramadol wasn't doing squat and took a second tramadol. Anxiously looked at the clock....it was only 8:30pm and couldn't take my next does of Percocet until 11. Decided to take my mind off the pain by laying down. Realized couldn't sleep due to the pain so decided to text all my friends and b****to them about the pain! Finally, about an hour later the Tramadol kicked in and I was able to get a fitful nap. Woke up at about 10:30pm and my butt demanded I take a percocet NOW! Fell into dream land about 45 mins later and had a fitful bout of sleep. Woke up every 2-3 hours. No bm's that day.

DAY TWO

Kept pain under control by taking Percocet every 7 hours and Tramadol in between my Percocet doses. Was really paranoid about stenosis so made sure to eat soup, crackers, Colace, and fiber through fruit. Towards the end of the day freaked out about still not having a bm and decided to take a little milk of magnesia to speed things along. Roughly 4 hours later had diarrhea. Hardly any pain during bm, but burned afterwards. Relieved myself by hopping into shower. Rest of day uneventful.

DAY THREE

Had my first true bm. Struggled to get a comfortable position on the toilet. Bm came out with relative easy. Pain was about a 3-4 during bm and thought to myself......that was easy! Spoke too soon and roughly 30 seconds to 1 minute after bm, extreme, intense, and god awful burning arrived. I can't lie the next 5 minutes were agony. Probably the worse pain/burning I've felt in my life and I am usually good with pain. Crawling/walking hopped into shower. After about 5 minutes excruciating pain morphed into bearable, stingy, throb. Pain went from about 8-9 to about 5-6 within 5 minute span. Had two more bm's that were equally painful within 6 hours time. Pain during those bm's weresalso between 3-4 and bearable. It was the pain after that was the killer. Was able to walk around pretty good though and aside from the bm's pain not too bad.

DAY FOUR

Had two bm's that were just as painful as the day before. At this point was now able to track roughly what time I have a bm and plan/prepare my mind/day accordingly. Realized that 4-6 hours after eating bm comes. Able to walk around quite well and even went out for a couple of hours. Over exerted myself, came home and rested and waited for the dreaded bm.

DAY FIVE

Today is day five and the very, very painful bm's continue. Had one earlier this morning. Still about 8-9 on the pain scale after the bm. Pain was pretty bad this morning, so much so, that it nauseated me briefly. Decided to call my doctor and was informed by the nurse that this pain is normal. Boo! Well now about to get an hour or so of rest. Haven't eaten yet. I'm aiming for two bm's a day. Three is way too many for me as the bm's are very tiring, so decided to cut down on what I eat. Haven't eaten yet today but drinking plenty of fluids. Will have a fiber filled lunch in an hour or so...this should suffice for my evening bm which I am not looking forward to.

I will keep you all posted!

The Following User Says Thank You to Painindc For This Useful Post:
    scaredguyinsac (06-12-2011)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-31-2009, 10:31 AM   #2
    Painindc
    (male)

Painindc HB User
    Re: My Hemorrhoidectomy Recovery

TIP OF THE DAY

1. DON'T wean yourself off of the pain meds too soon.

I did and it's no wonder my bm's were still hurting like all hell. I just had a bm but managed to take a percocet about 3 hours before it came--apparently I hadn't completely evacuated myself from the morning. Instead of it being a 8-9 from this morning it was more like a 7-8. Yes, still painful, but certainly not as bad as this morning AND better than it was WITH painkillers just a couple of days ago. So make sure to take your meds.

Last edited by Painindc; 07-31-2009 at 10:34 AM.

Old 08-01-2009, 10:06 AM   #3
    Painindc
    (male)

Painindc HB User

DAY SIX

What a difference a day makes! Well actually less than a day. Okay, so after my last post with the tip and everything, things seemed to get a lot better rather quickly. It's amazing, but like Tacomaguy said in his recovery post, most people report a lessening of pain overnight. In my case this is definitely true! So there is light at the end of the proverbial tunnel.

So yesterday, which was still day 5 I had another, very small, BM. I prepared myself for the excruciating burning, but it did not come! Now granted, there was still pain......hope you weren't expecting miracles, BUT, it was nothing like the burning I experienced earlier that day. The pain was about a 5-6 on the pain scale. Those couple of points on the pain scale make a huge difference, trust me. Admittedly, I made a little mistake last night. Before the surgery I regularly took probiotics to help with my digestive health. The probiotics have always made my poops firmer and more bulky. Like I said I'm really paranoid about stenosis--even have another thread on it--so I took it thinking it would make my stools just a little bit bigger and firmer. That was a mistake.

I had to strain on the BM, which is not good. Luckily I don't think I popped any stitches. Still I won't be reintroducing my probiotic for a few more days. So last night I took a percocet at around 7:30 pm for good measure, and after my less painful BM that night, took two ibuprofen for the swelling and that pressure feeling on your bum that gets really annoying after a few days. Anyway, didn't go to sleep until around 2:30am--yeah I'm a night owl and took one more tramadol, just in case I had to do a bm later that night. Well I'm happy to report that I only got up once and ended up sleeping until almost 11! Eliminating the percocet before bed was great as it really does mess with your sleep cycle.

Got up this morning and the urge to pass a BM was very strong. My BM lasted almost 10 minutes! I suspect the probiotic had me a little backed up from the night before. It's funny the pain during the bowel movement actually hurt worse this time. Still, the pain never exceeded a 5, which is very bearable. So....I think I've finally hit that corner guys and it's only day six! After two bm's that were not god awful I'm no longer dreading my next BM! It's a great feeling. I still have aching and pressure down there so I took two ibuprofen and a tramadol. But guess what?! I haven't had a percocet since 7:30 last night! That was over 17 hours ago and I'm doing okay. I'm still not my normal self but you get the picture....things do get better. Hang in there. The first few days aren't fun....I'll give you that, but it does get better!

I plan on weaning myself off the Tramado by day's end. By tomorrow I hope to be on just ibuprofen and I don't plan on taking any more percocet's! I will post tomorrow to update everyone.

Last edited by Painindc; 08-01-2009 at 10:07 AM.

Old 08-02-2009, 01:22 PM   #4
    Painindc
    (male)

Painindc HB User

DAY SEVEN

Okay, thought I would take a break from working from home. This is the first day that I can actually focus long enough to work. In any event....

Well I'm not as excited as I was yesterday. So after I posted I had another bowel movement that wasn't too pleasant. It was about a 7 on the pain scale. Granted it wasn't as bad as earlier in the week but it was worse than the one I had before that. For some strange reason it now hurts more during my bowel movement as opposed to after. The excruciating stinging after my BM--which is still there, just not as severe--has been replaced by pain during my BM. The part when my sphincter is contracting. Now, the pain is not excruciating, but it ain't pleasant either.

So after laying around all day I decided to attend a dinner party around 7 pm. Food was delicious and I didn't get to eat like I really wanted to because you know....it comes out. So after alternating between standing and sitting for a few hours I decided my body had had enough! The pain has also now been replaced with god awful aching! It's the worse feeling in the world. It feels like so much pressure and it makes sitting so uncomfortable. Somewhere between annoying and pain. I suspect the other reason I find the aching so noticeable is that I'm off the Percocet and Tramadol, and now only taking Ibuprofen.

One thing about the Ibuprofen, which is known as Advil or Motrin, it makes bleeding easier. So if you find you're a bleeder after surgery I would only recommend taking Motrin sparingly. I forgot to mention that at the dinner party I unfortunately had the urge to go. Was hesitant to do it but the thought of being constipated edged me on. Had a very small BM that was very bloody! Mind you I've had very, very little bleeding since the surgery so I know its the Motrin. The same thing happened the day before when I took it. So like I said if you're a bleeder after surgery I would not recommend it, also known as NSAID's. I'm pretty sure its the same reason they don't want you taking that stuff before the surgery as well.

So that's where I am folks. I had a BM earlier today which was still painful....maybe about a 6 on the pain scale. Right now the aching is driving me mad. I want to take a Tramadol but I don't find them very helpful. I liken the pain to growing pains, if you can recall them. It's an achy feeling only its on your bum. Right now I think I feel about 50% normal, maybe slightly more, but the BM's still suck. They've gone from hell, to dread, to sucking. So yeah, I guess that's an improvement. I really haven't made any changes to my diet and I haven't eaten as many vegetables or fruits as some on here. But I still haven't gotten constipated, am BM'ing regularly, and my stools are still soft. I think water, fiber (Benefiber), and stool softeners are more your friends than anything. Some fruits can be constipating, and some of the roughage from veggies may make your stools bigger than your recovering butt might be able to take right now. That's just my thought, but I couldn't imagine passing anything bigger than my fingers right now! Still, that doesn't mean eat like a pig. You don't want anything to mess with your digestive track right now....trust me.

Okay back to work. Hopefully it'll be better in the next few days.

Old 08-02-2009, 03:10 PM   #5
    Painindc
    (male)

Painindc HB User

P.S. on the Aching

Discovered the pressure was coming from a BM that I had not passed. After relieving myself it alleviated the pressure greatly. Can now sit and work. I assume the pressure feeling is from the stool making its way down.

The following user gives a hug of support to Painindc:
    lolitatriste (08-25-2011)
    Old 08-03-2009, 10:40 AM   #6
    Painindc
    (male)

Painindc HB User

DAY EIGHT / ONE WEEK

Quick rant before the update....

A hemorrhoidectomy is a serious surgery. It has a very painful recovery. In fact, it is probably one of the most painful post recovery surgeries out there. It can have serious complications in the hands of a crappy surgeon. That said, I am thankful for this board and the people who have gone through this or will go through this ordeal. Got into it with a friend of mine who became so disgusted with me mentioning "passing of stools" yesterday. I went off. In the last week I have gotten so many, "Ewwws" and "oh my god that's terrible but disgusting" when I tell people about my surgery. I find it irritating that the mention of a hemorrhoidectomy, or passing stools, turns Americans adults into schoolyard playmates.

America get OVER your a$$. Everyone poops, that is and will be life. Some of us are unlucky enough to suffer from hemorrhoids, and at a young age to boot. Instead of an "eww" how about another, "how you feeling?" or "anything I can do to help?". This is a PAINFUL surgery. I'm sorry the word hemorrhoids engenders childlike laughter and disgust but this isn't a nose job or a breast implant. This is real deal. Empathy goes a long way. Americans it's time we get over the words POOP, BUTT, BUMM, and STOOLS. It's time YOU get over YOURSELF!

Now.......for the updates

I took my last Percocet Friday night and my last Tramadol yesterday morning. I haven't taken Ibuprofen since last night and my bum aches slightly. I'd say its at about a 2/3 on the pain scale so that is progress! My BM's are still a bit painful, but the stinging afterwards lasts only about a minute now. All in all the pain during and after is at about a 5-6 now, but the pain subsides fairly quickly now. Within 5 minutes I am at about a 2/3 on the pain/scale.

The recovery has been tough and subject to highs and lows. Stool softener has been my best friend. When you don't have to strain the pain is greatly reduced. Water has been my best friend. Hot showers have been amazingly refreshing and alleviating to the pain. Stock up on lotion before the surgery....you're going to be in the water a lot. I don't think I could have done the sitz bath, unless it was in the bathtub...too much pressure. I found the shower to be the best, letting the water run down my backside and directly on the butt, while I leaned against a wall. I feel like I am about 70% healed but still have a ways to go before the aching, swelling, gets back to normal.

I will update accordingly.

Last edited by Painindc; 08-03-2009 at 10:46 AM.

Old 08-03-2009, 11:39 AM   #7
    Kristicat21
    (female)

Kristicat21 HB User

Glad your recovery is going well. I only had 1 hemorrhoid removed (thrombosed) and the past 5 days have been tough. It doesn't help that I'm 9 months pregnant and have a 2 year old... Anyways - I cannot imagine what those of you who had a hemorrhoidectomy are going through!!! I have a hard enough time with a BM right now...

I just wanted to say that I agree with you about people needing to be a little more supportive about these types of issues. No one cares unless they have experienced it. I'm so lucky my husband has been extremely helpful and supportive while I've been recovering.

Old 08-04-2009, 10:13 PM   #8
    Painindc
    (male)

Painindc HB User

DAY NINE

Not much of an eventful day. Today I resumed my normal diet, which is actually very healthy, and high protein. I like to lift weights and eat well. Obviously, I won't be lifting for a little while longer. I also reintroduced my probiotic, which has a side effect of making my stools more bulky, and makes me poop less. Typically, once or twice a day, as opposed to three times a day.

I only had two BM's today, which I am thankful for. My stools, which I am attributing to the probiotic were the largest they've ever been since the surgery. About the size of my thumb. It's funny, the most painful part of passing a BM is still the beginning. It's the moment where my sphincter is contracting to let the stool pass, before the stool actually begins exiting. Perhaps too much info, but I figure people that will have a hemorrhoidectomy will appreciate these type of descriptors--like a point of reference. Anyway, the pain with the first BM this morning was around a 5/6 today. I really have to get my mind into it...it's almost like I'm in labor (well if I ever could be in labor which is a biological impossibility) and I'm prepping my mind for that painful but necessary push! Anyway, after the bm begins exiting the pain lessens fairly quickly. The rest of the BM was about a 2-3 and I experienced mild itching afterwards. Also very little stinging.

Actually the itching has occurred sporadically throughout the day, which I assume is a good sign--that things are beginning to heal. I also started losing my stitches yesterday. I noticed a piece of it was breaking off in the shower and there were also bits in the toilet bowl after my BM. The pain during the rest of the day is now more of a dull ache, rather than pain. I didn't have to take any meds today! Which I guess is another milestone. It's hard to imagine but just a week ago I was in so much pain!

The second BM that I had about an hour ago was much better. It was only about a 4-5 on the pain scale. And the stinging after the BM was virtually non-existent. So...I think the worst is over! Still not my old self and sitting for too long is still uncomfortable. If its a hard seat.....forget about it. I'm still using my donut which is a life saver. I recommend anyone getting the surgery get one! I'm hoping the soreness and pain during BM's will lessen in the next couple of days. Trying to get to that 2 week mark! Apparently, the pain gets much better then.

Kristicat, thanks for the kind words! I can't believe you're going through this while being 9 months pregnant and with a small child! Kudos to you. That's amazing.

It's been a long road but I feel like I'm almost there....and the fact that I'm able to clean myself so much faster now after a BM, and the fact that I have no more protruding/prolasped internal hems makes the surgery so worth it! I was cleaning myself the other day and was thinking....it feels like I have a normal a$$h0le! It sounds ridiculous I know....but only those of us who suffer from hem's know how priceless it really is!

I'm hoping I can keep updating until the 2 week mark and then maybe the 1 month mark. Reading these recovery stories before and during my surgery have been priceless and a joy to read when you're sitting around doing nothing except waiting for a BM! I hope you all get something out of this as well.

Last edited by Painindc; 08-04-2009 at 10:22 PM.

Old 08-06-2009, 03:25 PM   #9
    Painindc
    (male)

Painindc HB User

DAY ELEVEN

This is definitely a process. I keep forgetting that. I had a turbinate reduction in February and that was a process too. Although the doctor said I would "recover" within two weeks I really wasn't my "normal" self until 6 weeks out.

I have a feeling it will be the same with this surgery.

Yesterday, day 10 was exhausting and frustrating. I got constipated. If there's any advice I could give you...don't begin using probiotics until waaay out in your recovery! So, I tried to reintroduce my probiotic again or healthy bacteria yesterday. Such a mistake. I'm so hard-headed!!! I made several bathroom attempts and made the big mistake of straining every time. Suffice to say it ended in a very sore bum...felt more like day 7 than day 10. Later in the evening I tried using an enema...didn't work only a few pebble like stools managed to make it out. At that point hadn't had a bm for almost 24 hours. Went to the grocery store and got some pears--apparently they're fantastic for constipation.

Worked like a charm! After eating two pears finally had a BM about 2-3 hours later. Close to midnight. BM was painful and I imagine all the straining only helped aggravate things down there. Pain was about a 5. Another thing I discovered yesterday.

Itching!!!

Especially prominent after the BM which in an odd sort of way intensified the pain. The itch was almost unbearable! And the worse part is you can't itch it! After my BM I looked like a fool trying to pat my buttocks and move all around trying to alleviate myself. It subsided after a few minutes. But still itching intermittently. I had to take Ibuprofen twice yesterday because of the straining.

Today I had a BM and the pain was about a 3-4. Again, itching! Not unbearable but still driving me mad! Pain during the rest of the day is fairly minimal. I'm able to move around with hardly any trouble at all. Still, I have to get up after sitting for long periods of time. I haven't taken any Ibuprofen today and its nearly 7 pm. I've made sure not to strain at all while on the toilet. So that means I've had a couple of false alarms. The nurse informed me not to strain at all...that the BM should come right out with minimal pushing. She also said that if nothing comes out after 30 seconds to 1 minute to get up and walk around and wait.

So yeah....that's where I am. No more agonizing pain. But, still not my normal self. I imagine that will take a couple more weeks. They only thing that causes any kind of minimal distress are the BM's which aren't too bad anymore. Also still not completely regulated and dealing with some pain and itching.

Last edited by Painindc; 08-06-2009 at 04:01 PM.

Old 08-06-2009, 08:47 PM   #10
    BlueDiamond
    (female)

BlueDiamond HB User

Hi:

Thank you for taking the time to write about your experience. I have been thinking of having my hemms removed for about 2 years now......

I truly understand the part of "feeling like you have a normal a$$hole." You're right, you have to experience a bad case of hemms to appreciate that statement.

I'm glad things are starting to get better for you. It does sound like a long recovery.

Keep us updated. Thank you!

BlueDiamond.

Old 08-08-2009, 04:33 PM   #11
    Painindc
    (male)

Painindc HB User

DAY THIRTEEN

Constipation, false alarms, and itching. That sums up the last two days for me.

Yesterday I had a BM in the morning. Then in the late afternoon the pressure feeling you get before pooping came. Went to the toilet and nothing came. Strained a little and still nothing came. Again the same feeling a couple of hours later--I swear I could feel it, the stool, but it wouldn't pass or maybe there really was nothing. But I was gassy and my stomach hurt so I'm sure it was stools.

Anyway I finally had a BM this morning--the biggest stool I've passed yet, almost looked normal. I wonder if thats part of the problem? Feel better but still have a full feeling like I need to go again. My BM's are not coming out as smoothly as I would like. I think I'm going to pick up some mineral oil. Right now I'm on fiber and stool softeners but that no longer seems to do the trick. I've never really had problems with constipation so this is new for me. It may be a part of the healing process, I don't know.

I am also having itching but it has calmed down now. I think some of it's from smaller external hem's that my doctor left or maybe they're not external hem's--not sure. I'll have to ask on Tuesday when I see her.

On a positive note my BM's are only slightly painful now! Maybe a 2/3 at most. Still using my donut for now. I took two ibuprofen last night because my bum was a bit achy but haven't taken any yet so far today.

I must admit....the really really painful BM's are starting to feel like a distant memory, although I will never forget that acid like pain! It makes you appreciate fiber intake so much more now! Fiber everyday. Fiber everyday. You bet I will. Until the next update.

Old 08-08-2009, 04:34 PM   #12
    Painindc
    (male)

Painindc HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BlueDiamond View Post
    Hi:

Thank you for taking the time to write about your experience. I have been thinking of having my hemms removed for about 2 years now......

I truly understand the part of "feeling like you have a normal a$$hole." You're right, you have to experience a bad case of hemms to appreciate that statement.

I'm glad things are starting to get better for you. It does sound like a long recovery.

Keep us updated. Thank you!

BlueDiamond.
    BlueDiamond,

It will be painful. But for me, it so far has been worth it. Granted that's something I only want to experience once! But it makes you appreciate eating healthy so that you can avoid getting them in the future.

Old 08-11-2009, 09:31 AM   #13
    Painindc
    (male)

Painindc HB User

DAY SIXTEEN

Just got back from the doc for my two week check up.

So the last few days have been marked by god awful itching and actually a resurgence of pain while passing a BM believe it or not. Since about Friday the itching in my bum area has intensified greatly. I mean "feels so good if I scratch but I can't" intense. Also pain during my bm's jumped from a 2/3 to a 4/5. Yup....I had a feeling the healing process wouldn't be a linear progression.

So what I had been thinking were external hemorrhoids that got irritated by the surgery were in fact not hemorrhoids at all. Yes I know.....the boards warn you about this, however it's something you have to experience for yourself. So for all those that are going to get a hemorrhoidectomy.......what you may think are swollen, itching, or burning external hemorrhoids around the 2 week mark, are more than likely not hemorrhoids.

Anyway, went to the doctor saying that I believed my hemorrhoids were acting up. She looked at me and laughed..."We did surgery. Remember that?! I took out your internal hem and external hem.....those are not hemorrhoids". I couldn't believe it.....they look and feel just like them! But, alas they are not. She said that everything looked great and that the pain may be from a suture being pulled. She said give it another month before all the residual swelling resides.

My stools are fine. They are now close to regular size and still soft. However, it hurts again to poop, and the itching intensifies when I go now. Virtually no pain when moving around the house.....and I can drive in my car without a donut now. I still prefer to use it in the house and hard seats are still uncomfortable so I avoid them.

My doctor told me to begin decreasing the dosage of my stool softener to about two times a day by the end of the week. Once the pain is completely gone I plan to give it up entirely. So that's where I am in my hemorrhoidectomy journey. Will updated accordingly.

Old 08-14-2009, 08:06 PM   #14
    Painindc
    (male)

Painindc HB User

DAY NINETEEN

The not so straight path to recovery rears it's ugly head. I had a third/fourth degree internal and external hem removed a little less than 3 weeks ago.

Well since my last post I've backtracked a bit in my recovery. What I thought was an external hem but according to my doc is not, is giving me trouble now. Well, more than it did before. It's a lump on, or just inside the anal area. From the reading I've done on these boards its fairly common.

Because of this lump my BM's have been like Russian roulette the last few days. Some BM's are virtually painless, while others have been as painful as a 4/5. Granted I'm no longer sweating on the toilet but still the pain is undeniable. Also, itching has decreased, thank god, but it's still a bit annoying. The "lump" has also caused problems with sitting. Sitting is once again very uncomfortable. Painful might not be the right word, but it is uncomfortable enough that I've virtually had to lay on my side all day.

I was hoping for a speedier recovery and thought I was on my way to that....but that's fine. I'll take this. Others have gone through much, much worse. I'm still taking fiber (3 servings/day) and have cut back to 2 colace's(by the way I've been using a generic, which the nurse told me was just as good), and still drinking about 8 cups of water a day. I took a couple of hot showers today that helped with the pain after a BM. Again the pain is not debilitating or excruciating but enough to think about. I should add that I haven't been taking Ibuprofen for it, so perhaps it isn't that bad. Until next time.

Old 08-18-2009, 06:44 PM   #15
    Painindc
    (male)

Painindc HB User

THREE WEEKS

I'm just a little over the 3 week mark. The horrible pain I experienced in the first week is becoming a distant memory.

I'm still not 100% healed. I would say that I feel about 95% my old self for most of the day, but then that drops down to about 85% during a BM. The last few days the lump that I was talking about in my last post has finally begun to shrink. The pain associated with it has also decreased....thank god. I am now able to sit on hard chairs, although it's still not completely comfortable. But I wonder if that is just because I've gotten so accustomed to sitting on my donut and softer surfaces?

I'm surprised in the other recovery posts no one talked about itching as much as I have--or maybe I missed it. The itching started a little over a week ago. At first it was very, very intense. Now it is only annoying and sporadic as opposed to all the time. I actually am thankful for the itching as it is a sign of healing! Passing a BM is no longer an event, but it is still not a thoughtless endeavor. I still have some pain when passing....and the strange thing is the pain varies. In the last few days a couple have been 5's believe it or not, while some have been in the 1-3 range. I think 3-4 is a good average.

My BM's are almost 100% regulated again and normal size now......another good thing!

Another thing I noticed on the recovery posts--those getting a hemorrhoidectomy involving internal hem's seem to have a longer recovery. Don't know if that's always true but that's what I've noticed on here. Could be wrong so don't take it as fact. I know in my case that while I could've started working 1 week after surgery......it wouldn't have been fun. Not at all. Not knowing when you have to go and knowing that you have to go or risk being constipated would've been too much for me.

I am currently taking Colace (generic) two times a day and have tapered my fiber intake down to 2/day as well. I will cut back on the colace to once a day in a few days and hopefully have it completely eliminated by the end of the week.

Until the next update. I will keep this going until I'm 100%. And then perhaps a month update after that.

Last edited by Painindc; 08-18-2009 at 06:50 PM.

Closed Thread