It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board

• IBS sufferer with new bout of diarrhea w/some blood

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-01-2009, 05:53 PM   #1
    dianajune
    Inactive
    (female)

dianajune HB Userdianajune HB Userdianajune HB User
    IBS sufferer with new bout of diarrhea w/some blood

I was diagnosed with Irritable Bowel Syndrome probably at least 15 years ago, which was confirmed after having diarrhea with some blood in it. Not much, really. It's something I've been doing my best to cope with since that time, but with the stress I've been under it's getting worse.

I recently got a boatload of spinach from someone and have been eating it like crazy because I didn't want it to go to waste. And, I need to work on losing weight too. I've been having a spinach salad almost every day since I got it, except I haven't had any for the past couple of days.

Thursday evening I had what I'd call an "emergency potty break" during a phone call with one of my aunts. It was really embarrasing, and I noticed that I passed some medium-sized pieces of raw spinach. It looked like it wasn't even digested. That was Thursday - since that time I've been having alot of diarrhea, mostly brown/green in color. I noticed that prior to the diarrhea I had stools that were formed normally, just some green. I figured it was all the spinach that I had.

The diarrhea wasn't all that bad today and I thought I was getting over it, but it got worse this afternoon. I was at a friend's house and had to run to her bathroom and it was mostly green diarrhea. Later on after I got home, I had it again, only it looked really dark, so I checked and it was a combination of dark brown and green. Lots of mucus, and several times I noticed a little blood. Not very much, kind of like when I had a similar problem 15 years ago (without the green stuff).

About a month ago I found a large mass to the left of my belly button near my hysterectomy incision, and it scared me. I had a borderline ovarian cancer in 2004 and had a total hysterectomy, and 6 months later I had my gallbladder removed because of stones. So, my gut is pretty screwed up. The prognosis for my cancer is excellent, but even so, when I found that mass near my belly button I panicked.

I had abdominal xrays, which were normal. Then my doctor ordered an abdominal ct scan, the kind of scan where not only did I have to drink the barium, but they also gave me an injection of that radioactive dye. The ct scan showed only one thing - a hernia, which my doctor says doesn't need to be operated on. I'm still going ahead with a surgeon consult in September because I know someone who let her hernias (she had two) go for a long time and it almost turned into an emergency.

Back to my current problem - I know that the ct scan was normal (except for the hernia), and so were the abdominal xrays. These tests were done within the past month. Could the symptoms I've been having this week have anything to do with my eating raw spinach?

Also, a couple of days ago I cooked some sausage and thought I did a good enough job of it, but maybe not.

I'm not having a fever, nor am I throwing up. I just wish that my gut would feel normal, whatever normal is. Does anyone out there have any idea about what could be going on?

My doctor told me I have "somatic disorder" and that alot of the physical complaints I've been having (before this week symptoms started) were stress related.

Thoughts anyone???? I'd hate to run to the ER again if it's unneccessary.....help!

Last edited by dianajune; 08-01-2009 at 05:55 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-10-2009, 06:56 AM   #2
    anonlexaprogal
    (female)

anonlexaprogal HB User
    Re: IBS sufferer with new bout of diarrhea w/some blood

Was the blood on the stool or on the paper? I ask this b/c you could have a hemmoroid (sp?) that has been aggravated by the sudden diarrhea. You might want to get checked for that first instead of running to the ER.

I'd say the green is from the large amount of spinach. Also, spinach is ruffage right? Sooo, you may have over indulged and brought on the diarrhea. (I did this to myself after eating an entire bag of reduced fat oreos over the course of a week.)

Also, when you were diagnosed with IBS, were you given a flexible sigmoidoscopy or colonoscopy? Those procedures are done and biopsies are taken to rule in/out serious bowel issues. (I had one done for what my gastrointerologist thought was IBS. That's why I ask. He wanted to rule out some of the other possibilities.)

Old 08-11-2009, 07:07 AM   #3
    vh90453
    Veteran
    (female)

vh90453 HB User

Any rectal bleeding needs to be thoroughly checked out. IBS NEVER causes bleeding. There are many things that cause bleeding most of them are not serious, however you should always have it thoroughly investigated. Your diarrhea has probably caused a hemmy to start bleeding but please have it checked.

Old 08-29-2009, 12:26 PM   #4
    megbunny
    (female)

megbunny HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dianajune View Post
    I was diagnosed with Irritable Bowel Syndrome probably at least 15 years ago, which was confirmed after having diarrhea with some blood in it. Not much, really. It's something I've been doing my best to cope with since that time, but with the stress I've been under it's getting worse.

I recently got a boatload of spinach from someone and have been eating it like crazy because I didn't want it to go to waste. And, I need to work on losing weight too. I've been having a spinach salad almost every day since I got it, except I haven't had any for the past couple of days.

Thursday evening I had what I'd call an "emergency potty break" during a phone call with one of my aunts. It was really embarrasing, and I noticed that I passed some medium-sized pieces of raw spinach. It looked like it wasn't even digested. That was Thursday - since that time I've been having alot of diarrhea, mostly brown/green in color. I noticed that prior to the diarrhea I had stools that were formed normally, just some green. I figured it was all the spinach that I had.

The diarrhea wasn't all that bad today and I thought I was getting over it, but it got worse this afternoon. I was at a friend's house and had to run to her bathroom and it was mostly green diarrhea. Later on after I got home, I had it again, only it looked really dark, so I checked and it was a combination of dark brown and green. Lots of mucus, and several times I noticed a little blood. Not very much, kind of like when I had a similar problem 15 years ago (without the green stuff).

About a month ago I found a large mass to the left of my belly button near my hysterectomy incision, and it scared me. I had a borderline ovarian cancer in 2004 and had a total hysterectomy, and 6 months later I had my gallbladder removed because of stones. So, my gut is pretty screwed up. The prognosis for my cancer is excellent, but even so, when I found that mass near my belly button I panicked.

I had abdominal xrays, which were normal. Then my doctor ordered an abdominal ct scan, the kind of scan where not only did I have to drink the barium, but they also gave me an injection of that radioactive dye. The ct scan showed only one thing - a hernia, which my doctor says doesn't need to be operated on. I'm still going ahead with a surgeon consult in September because I know someone who let her hernias (she had two) go for a long time and it almost turned into an emergency.

Back to my current problem - I know that the ct scan was normal (except for the hernia), and so were the abdominal xrays. These tests were done within the past month. Could the symptoms I've been having this week have anything to do with my eating raw spinach?

Also, a couple of days ago I cooked some sausage and thought I did a good enough job of it, but maybe not.

I'm not having a fever, nor am I throwing up. I just wish that my gut would feel normal, whatever normal is. Does anyone out there have any idea about what could be going on?

My doctor told me I have "somatic disorder" and that alot of the physical complaints I've been having (before this week symptoms started) were stress related.

Thoughts anyone???? I'd hate to run to the ER again if it's unneccessary.....help!
    hi i am new here and i found out that i have to get a colonoscopy i found bloody diarrhea went to the dr the dr said it could be hemorids i did have a toth pulled out awhile ago the dentist gave me something for it so i wouldn't be in pain then i started to bleed my dr said i could have ibs irritable bowel syndrome the bleeding stoped but still scared afraid they might find something and afraid i might die

Old 08-29-2009, 04:43 PM   #5
    MUC
    (male)

MUC HB User

I think IBS is the Flavor of the Month so doctors can sell new meds - there are no such thing as Ghosts either. Spinach cannot give you nourishment unless cooked - and your digestive system cannot cook spinach. Bleeding should be looked into but I think a return to rice and water for a while should alleviate your fears. Look into the method they use to determine allergies adding one thing at a time to see what happens...not looking to find if you have one, but to confirm that you do not and that you may have been a victim of your own overconcern?

Last edited by MUC; 08-29-2009 at 04:45 PM. Reason: typos

Closed Thread