It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board

• Sphincteroplasty

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-17-2009, 05:18 AM   #1
    penny70
    (female)

penny70 HB User
    Sphincteroplasty

I am still trying different things to stop my leaking. I recently went on a mini vacation and found it really hard to try to shop without constantly hitting the public bathrooms. I ended up with taking an enema bottle into the bathroom with me while people pounded on the door for their turn. Not pleasant. Any other suggestions?
    Penny

Last edited by Administrator; 02-26-2010 at 04:24 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-18-2009, 03:59 AM   #2
    Nancy07
    (female)

Nancy07 HB User
    Re: I Survived Sphincteroplasty Part 14

Hello again everyone - I am 9 weeks post-op and still have the same infection! I am on my third antibiotic and though it has shrunk (shrank?) the infection, it is still there! I go back to my doctor on Thurs, and we'll see what he says.

I'm starting to wonder if they left something in there during surgery? I had a catscan 2 weeks after the plasty, wouldn't that show a foreign object?

I'm so sick of being infected and sore...and I have the runs all the time due to the constant antibiotics. I have no idea if my sphincter even works properly because I haven't had a normal BM in 9 weeks. And I'm still losing weight! I am so thin I've been having to buy new clothes because most of my skirts fall off of me.

Well, that's my update! How are you all?

Old 08-20-2009, 05:53 AM   #3
    penny70
    (female)

penny70 HB User

You must be discouraged with that amount of unending infection. It sounds like there's some improvement, though, so that is good. Have you not had any leaking or uncontrollable urges? That would be something to celebrate. I had a terrible time this morning, trying to figure out if it was the flax seed oil I took. That is off my diet now and I took an imodium just in case.
    Hope the rest of our crew finds us soon!
    Penny

Old 08-20-2009, 02:46 PM   #4
    Nancy07
    (female)

Nancy07 HB User

Yes, I still have leakage and uncontrollable urges every day! But the good news is, the infection is apparently gone, what is left is a lot of painful, hard scar tissue that will slowly soften over time. So I just have to live like this until it softens and keeps healing. Apparently I'm a slow healer. I take my last antibiotic tomorrow, then maybe the "runs" will ease up some.

Old 08-20-2009, 02:51 PM   #5
    Nancy07
    (female)

Nancy07 HB User

Penny70, when did you have your sphincteroplasty (I can't remember)? You still have leakage? The doctor told me that firmer stools should clear up the leakage. Do you have trouble "firming them up" (Immodium is an anti-diarrhea med, right?).

Old 08-20-2009, 06:54 PM   #6
    penny70
    (female)

penny70 HB User

Hi Nancy,
    I had my sphincteroplasty in June of '07. I had a fistula less than a week later and had an ostomy for a year and a half after that. I just had a reversal in February and found out I leak almost all the time, some days more than others depending on what I eat. Yes, 'firming them up' is easier said than done. Imodium helps but I don't want to take it all the time. I've been taking probiotics, bran buds, yogurt all to try to make things more 'normal'. I really wished I hadn't had the surgery. I was better off before. I learned research is important, and finding the right doctor. I hope things improve for you soon. Glad the infection is gone. Those antibiotics do a number on your intestine. Let us know how it goes.
    Penny

Old 08-21-2009, 05:10 AM   #7
    Nancy07
    (female)

Nancy07 HB User

Hi Penny70, your situation sounds awful! I have one question - have you always had loose (ish) stools, or has this only happened since the surgery?

The reason I ask is that a condition called celiac disease can cause chronic loose stools (and a bunch of other problems in your intestines). You may have already heard of this. If not, the thing to do is avoid all grains except rice and corn. It's a very difficult diet, since wheat is in everything. If you'd like more info about it, let me know.

I have a carbohydrate/grain intolerance, but my problem is more constipation than loose stools. If I eat whole grains, I'm sunk. I'm one of the rare people who cannot tolerate grain fiber!

It could be that you have some kind of food intolerance or IBS that is causing the leakage (I'm just guessing here).

Old 08-23-2009, 04:05 PM   #8
    penny70
    (female)

penny70 HB User

Hi Nancy,
    I don't think I have celiac or IBS. I don't have any other symptoms. I think it really began before my first surgery, I'm thinking maybe more because of my diet but I'm not sure.
    I've never heard of a carb/grain intolerance. When did you find that out? I guess we can get these things at any time. I know a lot more things have whole grains in them since people feel they're better for you. If things don't improve over time I may be calling my CRS back. I'll be seeing my NP soon and maybe she'll have some idea. things went well this morning but not so well just now. Very frustrating. I'm going to eat a low fat, higher protein diet for a while and see if that helps. I need to lose weight anyway.
    Penny

Old 08-27-2009, 05:55 AM   #9
    Nancy07
    (female)

Nancy07 HB User

After being tested for celiac disease and being diagnosed with IBS, I discovered I had grain allergies. These cleared up, and I still had symptoms, and was told that you can have a food intolerance, which is not an allergy or celiac, you're just intolerant.

So through years of careful dietary habits I've discovered what foods I can tolerate. Grains and complex carbs are no-nos, for the most part.

So as far as the sphincteroplasty goes, I have to be careful not to get constipated (I tend to pass awful, rocky "boulders" if I'm not careful) or I will have a major issue with my sphincter.

I am 10 weeks and 2 days post-op, and I still haven't passed a normal stool. Mostly because I'm terrified the stool will be too wide. I have very soft, almost diarrhea every morning. When my pain/soreness/scar tissue improves, I will try to "bulk up" a bit and see what happens.

I got my period again, finally, now that the infection has cleared up. What fun!

Old 08-28-2009, 03:53 PM   #10
    penny70
    (female)

penny70 HB User

The fact that you can hold soft stool is a good thing. I have recently been having more difficulty with it. If it's soft I often can't feel it and then if I have even a little gas it will come out and I won't be able to tell unless I go to the bathroom or check my underwear for some other reason. This happened like 2 minutes ago and it depresses me no end. It doens't happen often but enough to freak me out. I had a fistula last year and that's another worry, where is it coming out but I'm pretty sure it comes out the right place, hurray, but at the wrong time. NOt sure what else my options are. I've been trying to bulk up but that hasn't happened without imodium. Very frustrating.

Old 08-28-2009, 03:54 PM   #11
    penny70
    (female)

penny70 HB User

Just in rereading your post I had to chuckle, kind of. YOu need to avoid the firm and I'm desperately seeking it!

Old 10-25-2009, 08:44 PM   #12
    cmansmommy
    (female)

cmansmommy HB User

hello ladies, its been a while since i got on here. I'm 4 months post op and still have leakage issues occasionally. Maybe once every couple weeks, but my big celebration is that I can go shopping at the mall without any problems now AND i can hold it for over 10 minutes if i have to, although I try to go when I get the urge. My hubby and I are actually starting to talk about having another baby in a couple years too. My surgery was rough and recovery was awful, but in the end it's worth it and a c section to have a baby will be a walk in the park compared to what i've been through!

Old 10-26-2009, 05:19 AM   #13
    penny70
    (female)

penny70 HB User

I'm glad things are going so well for you cmansmommy. It does feel good when things go well and life can seem more like normal! That first birth experience will never happen for you again so move on and enjoy your plan for your next one. I seem to have ended with more leakage, that typically happens in the am and then an occasional 'surprise' in the pm if I'm walking for a while. STill trying to work out those issues.
    Penny

Old 11-06-2009, 08:18 PM   #14
    llstrategy
    (female)

llstrategy HB User

I just wanted to post that I had a sphincteroplasty/ fistula repair almost 3 weeks ago and it was a success. I have had no leakage in the last 3 weeks (and I've been pushing it with drinking coffee, eating strawberries and pineapple) and the pain is already going down. Although I am still tired a lot and I am on 2 antibiotics due to an infection, I am excited and hopeful for what my body will be like at the 6 week mark. I am going out to shop, see movies, can clean my house for short periods, play with my children, and I'm even working a bit from home. I do stay in bed quite a bit but thank goodness for online scrabble. It's kept my mind busy. I've read some of the other posts about some people's post-recovery instructions and it seems like there are a lot of differences in what doctor's have told patients to do.

For me, I was in the hospital 1 night, went home the next day, was on a regular diet, 2 stool softeners and metamucil. I was not on a liquid diet at all except for the first day, and quite frankly, I didn't have much of an appetite anyway.

Week 3 and my bm's are slightly uncomfortable but they're not the dreaded chore the were during the first 2 weeks. I'm walking better too and not draining as much.

I was having a weird discharge coming from my vagina and was scared that the fistula repair came undone, but it's gone down since I started taking antibiotics so I think it was an infection. I still have gas coming from my vagina though. Anyone else have this happen? Does it go away?I called the doc and they said it's normal and I'm seeing the doc next week but would appreciate your experiences on the subject.

Hope everyone recovers well.

Old 11-07-2009, 05:02 AM   #15
    penny70
    (female)

penny70 HB User

Hi llstrategy,
    I post on another fistula site and I have heard of people having gas post surgery while things are still healing. Can I ask whether you had any sphincter problems before the surgery? How extensive was your tear? You're right about success stories being needed. Things look inordinately grim with the lack of them. Mine was not a success and I really need to have another evaluation but I'm not sure I'm ready to start over again. For the most part things are doable but not great. I'm glad things worked out so well for you. Penny

Closed Thread