It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board

• Don't know what my CT scan means.

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-01-2009, 07:41 AM   #1
    mikael26288
    (male)

mikael26288 HB User
    Don't know what my CT scan means.

On and off the the last two years I have been having lower Abdominal pain / discomfort. I am always told that I had a stomach virus and it did clear up after about a week. Each time I have had constipation somewhat.

Well it is back and this time the pain and discomfort has been with me for about 5 weeks. The discomfort and pain is always mostly in the lower left to upper left side. I have had a Ct Scan in 2007 & 2008 and both came back good. I have feeling of constipation, but I am able to have a decent bowel movement each day, a few times I didn't have one at all that day. There is no blood that I can see in them either. But the CT Scan this time has me worried. I can't see my Doctor until Sept 21st. (On vacation) Here is what my Ct scan says, does anyone know how to read it? Thanks for any advice or help.

CT OF THE ABDOMEN AND PELVIS WITH CONTRAST

HISTORY: Abdominal pain.

FINDINGS: The lung bases are clear.

There is diffuse fatty infiltration of the liver.

A 4 mm hypodensity in the posterior cortex of the right kidney is likely a benign cyst. Remaining intraabdominal organs have a normal appearance. There is no free fluid or lymphadenopathy.

There is a persistent 2.2 cm segment of decreased patency of the sigmoid colon. This is likely due to anatomical variation. There is no proximal dilatation of colonic lumen that would suggest true stricture. Inflammatory or neoplastic mucosal-based lesion is felt to, therefore, be unlikely. Further evaluation could be obtained with barium enema or colonoscopy, if felt to be clinically indicated.

IMPRESSION:

1. No acute intraabdominal/pelvic pathology.

2. 2.2 cm segment of lack of normal luminal distention of sigmoid colon, likely representing developmental variant and/or spasm, rather than true persistent stricture. No dilatation of proximal bowel or other evidence to suggest bowel obstruction.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread