It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board

• He spends a long time in the bathroom

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-11-2010, 02:15 PM   #1
    Vokisa
    (female)

Vokisa HB User
    He spends a long time in the bathroom

So, I'm posting here regarding my boyfriend. I've been trying to make him go see a doctor about his stomach problems, but he claims that it will go away (it hasn't gone away for almost a year, I don't think he realizes just how bad he has it).

Anyways... problem number one: He spends over an hour in the bathroom each time he needs to use it to poo. He's apparently been like this forever. Even if he has nothing in there to entertain him, he's in there for a long *** time! And he's doing nothing but his bowel movements. I don't see this as normal, since the only time I might ever be in there for that long is if my stomach is upset, which his almost always is. And this is interfering with his life. If we are in a rush to get somewhere on time, we are almost always late cause he needs to use the bathroom.

Almost every morning he is woken up by his stomach being upset and him having to go. This sometimes causes him to be late to work. On weekends, he can never sleep in either, since at some point, his stomach will wake him up. It wasn't always like this though. A year ago he wouldn't be woken up by his stomach as much. But now it's like every weekend morning, he is.

Sometimes he ends up staying up REALLY late because his stomach suddenly becomes upset and he's got to go. And then once again, in the morning he's got to go again. So these stomach problems are really interfering with his life. He probably spends about 3 hours a day in the bathroom. Someone please tell me that I'm not the only person who sees this as not being normal?

Does anyone know what the problem might be? How can we manage it? And do you think he should see a doctor as well? How can I convince him to go?

Thank you!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-11-2010, 06:04 PM   #2
    wantrelief
    (female)

wantrelief HB Userwantrelief HB User
    Re: He spends a long time in the bathroom

could he have Crohn's? if not, he at least has IBS. what is his diet like? does he eat real bad food?

if he doesn't already i would tell him to cut out all diary from his diet. i would also suggest him taking some sort of bulking fiber supplement.

i would suggest that he goes and sees a gastrointologist to figure out what is going on. good luck!

Old 01-11-2010, 06:30 PM   #3
    AnnD
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

AnnD HB UserAnnD HB User

If you can't get him to go to the doctor then ask him or you buy for him some over the counter Miralax and follow the directions. The reason his stomach is so upset is because he is so constipated/backed up that it puts pressure on his stomach and if he doesn't get help it will cause other problems over time. I sure do understand the whole bathroom thing. If you want quicker results than Miralax you can pair it up with some Milk of Magnesia but use the milk of magnesia on like a friday or Sat. night so as not to miss work because of having to run to the bathroom. Just know he is suffering and he doesn't have a clue what to do about it. Once he or you help him find a medicine to help clean him out then he can work on the cause...sometimes there isn't a cause it just is but there are many things on the market that can help him. good luck.

Old 01-12-2010, 05:24 PM   #4
    Vokisa
    (female)

Vokisa HB User

I hope he doesn't have Chron's, but it seems like a possibility. He loves to eat pretty much everything that I hate (except for pasta, which we have have on a daily basis). Spicy food (loves Indian and Thai), BBQ sauce, hot sauce (he'll put this on many dishes that I would otherwise not have it on), and milk. I'm lactose intolerant, so I can't really drink milk (although I do have a pretty high tolerance of dairy products). And since I'm lactose intolerant, I can completely relate to how he feels sometimes. If I had too much dairy, I'd seriously feel like I was dying when I needed to use the bathroom in about 20 minutes. And since he has a glass of milk with every meal, we thought that might be part of the problem. But he took milk out of his diet for ONE meal and decided that since his stomach still got upset he's not allergic to it (but then he had a BBW sandwich for the meal. It seems like everytime he has BBQ his stomach gets upset, but he's in denial about it). And I don't exactly see how food could be the issue 100% of the time, since he'll still wakes up in the morning and has got to go. We've tried to eat at a decent hour (sometimes we can eat right before we go to bed) but this didn't seem to make a difference. Sometimes I think that he's still allergic to something though, just how he'll rush to the bathroom and come out a half hour later complaining about having diarrhea. But then other times, I'm sure that there's something else going on, and he has a condition. I'm pretty sure that he has IBS as well. But he claims that IBS is just a label for an unknown problem... so he doesn't think much of it.

He hasn't told me that he's constipated, but I'll ask him about it. I think that he MUST be though, if he's staying in there for so long. Knowing that it could cause more complications in the future if he doesn't start treating the problem now, could motivate him to see a doctor, though. So thank you.
    I know that he's suffering. I think I know it better than he does though. I think he just thinks that it's normal, and he's gotten used to it. I actually used to feel the same way with my lactose intolerance. I didn't stop limiting the amount of dairy that I had until I met him actually, and he told me that I needed to take medication for it. (Instead of taking medication though, I just limited the amount of dairy products that I eat).
    I'll look into Miralax for him.

Old 01-13-2010, 04:02 PM   #5
    wantrelief
    (female)

he is eating way too much spicy food and diary!!!!

i am lactose intolerant and i also believe i am gluten sensitive. i used to have diarrhea all the time and i cut out ice cream and milk and have been 100% better since.

and that spicy food! his gut can't handle that! have you ever seen that movie Along Comes Polly? ben stiller has IBS and she takes him to an Indian restaurant and he eats the spicy food and it goes right through him.

cutting out milk for one meal is not gonna do a darn thing.

he needs to cut all diary products and spicy food from his diet for at least 2 weeks to see if there is any improvement.

Old 01-29-2010, 07:00 PM   #6
    Vokisa
    (female)

Vokisa HB User

He claims that he's not constipated. But then I don't know why he has to spend so long in the bathroom.

I doubt he'd like to get rid of spicy and dairy foods. Spicy foods are his favorite things to eat. And once again, I don't think he realizes that there's a problem with his system.

Old 03-31-2010, 02:31 PM   #7
    Vokisa
    (female)

Vokisa HB User

Yeah, he's not constipated.

Now he goes to the bathroom only once a day, and spends over an hour in there. If I tell him to make it quick, he'll be in there for 45 mins. The least amount of time I think it's ever taken him to go is 30...

I'm worried about him. Sometimes he gets random bouts of diarrhea, for no reason, while other times he's fine. We've taken dairy out and that hasn't helped. There doesn't seem to be any correlation with what foods he eats. Sometimes his stomach gets really upset and he has pains. Most of the time it's just that he's in the bathroom for a long time though. But I'm worried about the random episodes that come on.

His mom has Crohn's Disease as well. I don't know if it's hereditary or not...

Old 03-31-2010, 03:07 PM   #8
    wantrelief
    (female)

i think it might be hereditary but i could be wrong.

maybe he should get his gallbladder checked out just to rule out that possibility

Old 08-28-2010, 09:23 PM   #9
    donthehorse
    (male)

donthehorse HB User

I'm glad I found this site! I'm having the same issue as your boyfriend and have for about 2 years or so now. I'm 27 and I agree, it's not normal. I went to one of the better gastro doctors in my area and he ordered a colonoscopy and found nothing. He put me on some IBS pills which never worked. From there, he gave me a chewable tablet called Equalactin. That as well has not produced any results. The doctor seems to think it's a form of constipation but I disagree like your boyfriend does. If you're still reading this, please do respond as I'd like to see if you and your boyfriend have had any luck and have any suggestions. It's very aggravating to have no answers and for the doctor to be just as confused.

Thanks!

Closed Thread