It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board

• Colectomy Complications, Fistula developed, ileostomy now needed temporarily

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-22-2010, 09:46 PM   #1
    momsfavdaughter
    (female)

momsfavdaughter HB User
    Colectomy Complications, Fistula developed, ileostomy now needed temporarily

This post is for my mother who I'm very worried about... It's a long story, but any advice on this or anyone who has endured this crazy rollercoaster as well.. your insight would be helpful.

My mother has always had issues with constipation and was diagnosed with diverticulitis a few years ago. Surgery was recommended for her and her problems.

On Dec 15th my mother got a total colectomy laprascopicly (sp?) They released her after a week being in the hospital. She came home for a week and then a vile brown liquid began flowing from her incision(turns out it was feces). The on-call doc said to bring her back into the hospital. A fistula had developed. They kept her for 2 weeks to see if the fistula would close on its own. While in the hospital, she ran a few high fevers. It didnt close up so they did another surgery and they couldnt do Lap anymore... they hooked up a ileostomy bag.

Things were looking pretty good in the hospital... She had a nasal tube that was removed after 4 days. She ran a fever for a few days, but low grade... Then, her blood platelet level got too low so they did a blood transfusion with 3 pints of blood. She looked much better after the transfusion. She began to drink clear liquids for 2 days without any problems. Next, she moved onto thicker liquids and for 2 days, things were looking great. Now, blood is flowing from into the ileostomy bag (which they say is normal). It has flowed for an entire day. Also, she vomited a green vile today. They gave her anti-nausea meds and some pain meds.. After she went to sleep, I left the hospital... I am worried SICK!! I just wanna know if ANYONE has had this many issues with anything like this...

Any help would be wonderful... The doctor is pretty hard to get a hold of and his explanations are pretty quick.. he came highly recommended so I believe he know what he's doing... Thanks for listening! Please help my poor mom!! Thanks! ~Mom's Fave D (Don't worry, I'm the only daughter, so that makes me the fave! Among other things!)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread