It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board

• bowel resection surgery

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-12-2010, 01:24 PM   #151
    CAray
    (male)

CAray HB UserCAray HB User
    Re: bowel resection surgery/diverticulitis

reinatj,

Welcome aboard!! Sorry to hear you are here joining us because of surgery but that's how most of us get to these boards anyway. Because of your previous surgeries and the fact that one of them is feminine related hopefully some of the other posters here can help you out with your concerns about past scarring. I didn't have any other surgeries before this but I am aware that scarring can sometimes be an issue. As far as how you will be after your surgery, yes everyone is different, but as you can see from bostonandparis's post and eeyore57's they are both doing well and you seem to have gotten through your others pretty good so I hope this works out well also! I am feeling pretty good myself after almost 5 months post surgery except for very minor pain sometimes around the incisions.

stay positive and keep us posted!

my best,

Ray

Last edited by CAray; 07-12-2010 at 01:52 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-12-2010, 01:43 PM   #152
    CAray
    (male)

eeyore57,

Really good to hear you are doing well. Recovery is a slow process but it's nice when you start to feel better as the days go by. That's when you really feel like its all going to be back to normal soon (or at least as normal as can be!) :-)

Hope everyday is a better one for you!

Keep us posted!!

my best,

Ray

...I haven't seen anything from marilyn711, Mizz, barb050...etc, I hope they are all doing well.

Last edited by CAray; 07-12-2010 at 02:06 PM.

Old 07-12-2010, 06:54 PM   #153
    bostonandparis
    (female)

bostonandparis HB User

hi terry. i had the surgery because i had diverticulosis and a fistula. i did not have the cuff or open surgery i had the laparascopic sigmoid colectomy. in the beginning i was terrified. however, i am now two weeks to the day after surgery and i feel great. i cannot walk too far or exercise yet but i feel just fine. looking back, i was way to scared for what the operation was. i can only speak for the laparascopic type but i am glad it is over and have no regrets. it was really quite easy--only 3 nights in the hospital with excellent care. i do know if you have surgery with the cuff or open, the recovery is a bit longer and more tender than laparascopic. but lets face it--you need the surgery so adjust to that and think of the people who write in this column who basically had a good experience! best wishes. bostonandparis

Old 07-12-2010, 06:58 PM   #154
    bostonandparis
    (female)

bostonandparis HB User

Hi ray! things are going well for me once i got over being terrified. it is two weeks to the day that i had surgery and i have been driving, walking the dogs and eating in restaurants. i had the laparoscopic sigmoid colectemy and it was basically major surgery that went well and did not have a lot of problems afterwards. things are not completely normal in the bathroom yet so i've adopted drinking 2 cups of "green smoothies" every day, got a special blender and have my 5 servings of fruits/veggies in 2 cups of a green smoothie that is kind of like a frappe or milkshake as everyone outside of boston calls it. it has helped thus far but it is too soon to tell. at night i feel a bit tired as it has only been 2 weeks but i am definitely better without the fistula and so forth. i way over-estimated the pain and effects of the surgery. maybe i was lucky. i see the doctor in 2 more weeks. how are you doing? do you feel "normal" or are you having problems? bostonandparis

Old 07-12-2010, 08:20 PM   #155
    eeyore57
    (female)

eeyore57 HB User
    Thumbs up Re: bowel resection surgery/diverticulitis

Quote:
    Originally Posted by rayvalde View Post
    eeyore57,

Really good to hear you are doing well. Recovery is a slow process but it's nice when you start to feel better as the days go by. That's when you really feel like its all going to be back to normal soon (or at least as normal as can be!) :-)

Hope everyday is a better one for you!

Keep us posted!!

my best,

Ray

...I haven't seen anything from marilyn711, Mizz, barb050...etc, I hope they are all doing well.
    Thanks Ray...Yes it is a slow process but we all do get better
    As they saying goes Time heals all! Ray, what's normal???lol
    Glad you are do good too!

Old 07-14-2010, 12:59 AM   #156
    CAray
    (male)

hi bostonandparis,

Its so great to hear that you are doing well, even better than I did! If you remember reading my first posts i had some minor problems right after surgery!
    I am near 5 months post surgery and only have some pain around the incisions once and awhile. What a difference from the uncomfortable and sick feeling of having a fistula. Keep doing what your doing with your diet, you need time for the incision and connection to heal, so stay away from heavy foods for awhile. I was doing the smoothie thing before the surgery and still do. I eat almost anything now and haven't had any problems although I have heard that meat is hard to pass.

Since June 1st this thread has over 4500 added vviews. You can bet a lot of people saw your concerns and fears in your first posts and now have seen how great your doing and you have definitely inspired alot of people to be more positive about the outcome and to not spend as much time stressing over it. (like thats easy not to do, we both know it is a stressful and worrisome time! ) :-)

Keep us posted on your progress and feel feel to ask any other questions as you heal. Hopefully you'll keep on feeling better everyday

sincere regards,

Ray

Last edited by CAray; 07-15-2010 at 07:53 AM.

Old 07-15-2010, 11:42 AM   #157
    bostonandparis
    (female)

bostonandparis HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by rayvalde View Post
    hi bostonandparis,

Its so great to hear that you are doing well, even better than I did! If you remember reading my first posts i had some minor problems right after surgery!
    I am near 5 months post surgery and only have some pain around the incisions once and awhile. What a difference from the uncomfortable and sick feeling of having a fistula. Keep doing what your doing with your diet, you need time for the incision and connection to heal, so stay away from heavy foods for awhile. I was doing the smoothie thing before the surgery and still do. I eat almost anything now and haven't had any problems although I have heard that meat is hard to pass.

Since June 1st this thread has over 4500 added vviews. You can bet a lot of people saw your concerns and fears in your first posts and now have seen how great your doing and you have definitely inspired alot of people to be more positive about the outcome and to not spend as much time stressing over it. (like thats easy not to do, we both know it is a stressful and worrisome time! ) :-)

Keep us posted on your progress and feel feel to ask any other questions as you heal. Hopefully you'll keep on feeling better everyday

sincere regards,

Ray

Old 07-15-2010, 11:47 AM   #158
    bostonandparis
    (female)

bostonandparis HB User

hi ray and all. it is almost 3 weeks since surgery and i'm doing great. I invested in a vitamix blender and am drinking green smoothies each day, sometimes with peanutbutter and chocolate but always with kale and banana and parsley and swiss chard so i get my daily serving of vegetables.

i do find that i need to stay close to the bathroom in the morning and each trip into the bathroom is a .....surprise! i take something called miralax to make sure i don't get any constipation because that is what caused my problems with diverticulosis and a fistula in the first place. so between the fiber from the smoothies and the miralax i should be ok, but, as i say, i have scouted out all the ladies' rooms wherever i go as often i need to make a quick trip in!

when i first got out i did too much i felt so good. then it caught up with me andi slowed down for the next two weeks. at night i get tired and sore. but it is not bad at all really, and the surgery was a breeze, the hospital stay was almost pleasant and i could have gone home in 2 days but i stayed for 3. one week later i was walking the dogs about a mile a day. thats all for exercise though and i go slowly. no lifting.

you to ray entered a fantastic introduction in the first thread about your condition and what happened. it certainly was valuable to me! so stay in touch. i see the doctor monday for a 3 week checkup. will keep you posted. bostonandparis

Old 07-16-2010, 02:11 PM   #159
    Nasusgaj
    (female)

Nasusgaj HB User

Rayvalde - Thanks for sharing your story. Your history is almost identical to mine. I've always been real healthy I rarely even got a cold, I'm a vegetarian and loved hiking and horseback riding. Looking back I realized I was having diverticulitis attacks and "working through" them just like you. I started getting frequent bladder infections and a CT Scan revealed an infected mess - perforated diverticulitis. Long story short - they took that section out BUT they gave me a colostomy (The story doesn't end there). I am curious as to why they didn't give you a colostomy? Did they discuss this with you?

Old 07-20-2010, 06:48 PM   #160
    CAray
    (male)

Hi Nasusgaj,

Sorry for taking so long to get back to you but I was away for the past few days.
    No I was never told I would need a colostomy or did they ever discuss me having one. You said you had an infested mess, did that mean you had a fistula or did you have a leak in your colon, which I would quess would mean you had a serious infection/spill in your body cavity.

Do you still have it in place or have they removed it and re-attached? I am curious as to what happened to you. Can you post more info on your situation?

thanks,
    Ray

Old 07-20-2010, 06:57 PM   #161
    CAray
    (male)

hi bostonandparis,

Glad to hear your doing so well!!!

If you go back to my earlier postings you will see that I....like you...tried to do to much to soon and my body also let me know what was too much, and when to back off and slow down.

It sure feels good to feel good again, doesn't it? That why I always try to convince people that the surgery isn't as bad as the daily pain and discomfort you have to live with if you don't have it done.

Keep up on your progress reports and may each day be a better one for you!!

best always,

Ray

Old 07-20-2010, 10:51 PM   #162
    Nasusgaj
    (female)

Nasusgaj HB User

Hi Ray - I did have a fistula to my bladder and the infection had adhered itself to lining of my body cavity. I had a colonoscopy but it never showed this mess because it was on the outside of the colon. I only had minor discomfort for about 3 years prior to surgery and bouts of what I though were some kind of intestinal flu. Finally my gyno had to do some surgery on my ovaries and when he opened me up he found this mess. Long story short, antibiotic therapy for a few weeks and it got worse, then they removed a hunk of my colon. There was infection in my body cavity so I ended up with the colostomy. Had it reversed 3 months later then two months after that my colon suddenly ruptured because my body rejected the sutures that they used - thank goodness it didn't rupture until I got to the hospital. Anyway, more colon removed, another colostomy, and on 7/30 I just had my reversal. Whew! I just wondered what determines the need for the colostomy. My doctor was adamant about them. I'm feeling okay now just tire easily and still have some pain. I'm almost 50 and I really have never been sick. I rarely even got a cold. I'm a vegetarian and fairly active so I can't figure out why this happened.

Susan

Last edited by Nasusgaj; 07-20-2010 at 10:51 PM.

Old 07-21-2010, 09:54 AM   #163
    CAray
    (male)

Hi again Nasusgaj,

Yeooow.....sounds like you went through alot. Did you mean you got the reversal on 6/30 because you wrote 7/30. I can now see why you had the colostomy, they may have thought your colon wasn't healthy enough the first time with the infection and decided to give it a break, but then again only the surgeon really knows whats going on in there once they open you up and they then make a decision at that point as to how they will proceed.

As far as being a vegeterian and having this problem, I was told it is sometimes hereditary to have weak colon walls. I know how you feel, I felt the same way too, I always ate pretty healthy and was kinda surprised when not only was it discovered (diverticula), but eventually led to surgery! Who knows why these things happen to certain people. I think of people like Dana Reeve (Christopher Reeve's wife) who died of lung cancer at age 44 and never smoked in her life, so I quess like they say, if its mean't to be, it will be!

Anyway, I hope you feel better as the days go by and you new reversal has no problems. Sure sounds like you have been through alot.

Keep us posted!

wishing you well,

Ray

Old 07-21-2010, 10:05 AM   #164
    Nasusgaj
    (female)

Nasusgaj HB User

Yes - your right 6/30. Mind is still a little fuzzy from all the meds - LOL! A friend of mine had part of his colon removed because of diverticulitis then a couple of months later his appendix burst and he had to have more of his colon removed due to peritonitis and they never gave him a colostomy.

I guess your right - my doctor told me she was going to do what's best for me to get me well. I still have quite a bit of pain at the colostomy site but I probably have quite a bit of scar tissue there. I really have to get walking more but I'm a little slow getting started this time. Take care ~ Susan

Old 07-22-2010, 08:00 AM   #165
    ATLbax
    (male)

ATLbax HB User

Hello All,

This thread has been very helpful to me as I was just diagnosed in November 2009. I was having a sharp pain in the my lower left abdomen. I called my PCP and he recommended I go to the ER because as it was late in the day. I had a CT scan and was given Cipro and Flagyl went on liquid diet. That Cipro is bad stuff but the combination of antibiotics cleared my infection. I changed my diet to a lot of veggies and took fiber supplement every day. Fast forward to the end of June 2010 when I got a similar pain, not stabbing, but still intense and in the same area. I was scared of rupture. Went to ER again and had CT scan and they diagnose the same antibiotics. Can't pinpoint what caused it and that is frustrating. Two weeks later I saw the dr. who reviewed my CT scan and he said "two attacks in one year, that means surgery." He has me scheduled for a colonoscopy next week. I have my first visit with that dr. tomorrow to discuss the prep. I have never had surgery before and it makes me very nervous. I will know more after the scope, but feat it is inevitable. Your stories of coming through it have made me less nervous. - thank you!

Closed Thread