It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board

• LIS Surgery and recurrence of fissures

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-26-2010, 07:28 AM   #1
    3436sean
    (male)

3436sean HB User
    LIS Surgery and recurrence of fissures

hi there -

glad i found this board as i have been having a stressful time after my LIS surgery.

my brief history with fissures. i've been experiencing significant amounts of pain during and after bm's for the past 3.5 years roughly including spasms as well as burning and general pain. Bleeding also occurred fairly regularly due to the fissures. over that time i've completely changed my diet and fiber intake, as well as water intake. i've tried nitro, lidocaine, numerous hemmorhoidal creams, citrucel, colace, and on and on and on. after changing colorectal docs, my newest suggested the LIS surgery and i was ready to try whatever as i have been struggling with these issues for the last 3 years and have also had to deal with the stress, depression, on top of the chronic pain and the inability to heal.

so i ended up having the surgery on March 25th 2010- i believe it was the closed type of surgery. i had a bit of constipation due to the pain meds i was prescribed, which i only took for 1 day. my first couple bowel movements were quite sore but generally nothing worse than i had been dealing with for the last few years. i re-opened the fissure about 2 weeks after the surgery but only experienced pain and bleeding for a couple days. things seemed to be getting better for the next month or so, i was still on colace and taking in a ton of fiber and water, but generally was feeling good during and after BM's and was not experiencing my typical 'fissure' symptoms.

fast forward now to the present, roughly 2 months out from surgery and i feel like i again have managed to aggravate the fissure that i so desperately am trying heal. for over a week now i've been having sharp pain at the beginning of the bm, then blood on the stool and the whole routine, as well as the old discomfort and burning afterwards for a few hours. other than not having any spasms, i feel like i am back at square one and no better off than i was 3 years ago. i'm terrified that i'm falling into the 1-5% that the surgery is ineffective for and that i spent all that money on a surgery that is not actually going to help me get better. i'm trying to be positive about everything and tell myself that it's normal to backslide a little while my deep fissure works on healing itself but i'm also extremely anxious and nervous about the possibility that it might not get better. i've called to get in with my doc but that is not for another 10 days or so, so i'll have to wait and see what they say.

so if ANYONE out there has experienced anything similar to this post sphincterotomy PLEASE, PLEASE let me know, for my peace of mind if nothing else.

thanks everyone, if nothing else it feels good to have a place to share thought and feelings about such a stressful disorder.

cheers

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-31-2010, 06:31 AM   #2
    robert z
    (male)

robert z HB User
    Re: LIS Surgery and recurrence of fissures

I had a sphinctorectomy just 5 days ago and was healing really well. The incision site was not bothering me and all the swelling was down then suddenly this morning my fissure broke open again for no apparent reason after a bowel movement that was not hard at all. I was shocked and scared to see that bright red blood again. I didn't realize that the fissure could still break open after the procedure but I am at least reassured that I am not the only one. I applied some diltiazem and am hoping that this will just be a minor setback now that I finally had the courage to have the sphinctorectomy.

Old 05-31-2010, 08:06 AM   #3
    luckycharms
    (female)

luckycharms HB User

I had the LIS surgery...but had to go back later to have another LIS surgery. My fissure did not heal with the 1st LIS surgery. So, what the doctor did was go in the 2nd time, clipped the spincter muscle, removed all internal and external hemorrhoids, and he removed the fissure by basically scooping the fissure and all unhealthy tissue out, and then sewing the healthy tissue loosely together. Warning....it was extremely painful! But well worth the pain. I have had no more issues since the fissure was removed and healed.

Old 05-31-2010, 01:25 PM   #4
    wantrelief
    (female)

wantrelief HB Userwantrelief HB User

I had LIS surgery in late December of 2009. i had several really tiny fissures. at my month checkup my doc said my fissures were all healed. i was still having some slight pain at the incision site though and that continued on for several more weeks afterwards.

currently i am not in any pain and have not had blood since a couple days after my surgery.

i have heard of docs being too conservative when doing LIS surgery and not cutting deep enough to allow the fissure to heal causing the person to need surgery again.

i have also heard of fissures coming back because people went back to their old terrible eating habits again

my fissures were caused during childbirth, so hopefully i won't have to deal with my fissures again, at least not until i have another child, and even then i may ask if i can have a c-section

one thing i do do to prevent constipation is take a flax seed capsule and a stool softener with a bunch of water at bedtime. it really helps.

one thing i would like to mention to any women reading, i do tend to experience some itchiness and discomfort, almost like tightness around my perineum (along my scar tissue where i tore during childbirth) and around the LIS incision site at certain times of the month, such as when i am ovulating and a few days before as well as during my period. i believe this can be attributed to the rise in hormones at those times of the month.

Old 06-17-2010, 11:50 AM   #5
    Lacy1
    (female)

Lacy1 HB User

Thanks for your post. I had LIS and Hemmroid surgery 13 days ago. I'm no better off today than I was before surgery, in fact I'm worse. I can't eat "ANYTHING" because it causes too much pain. After I eat something, the pain begins about 2 hours later and increases to an unbearable level which lasts about 10 hours. I called my surgeon today to report my situation and he recommended me to a GI doctor. He said it has nothing to do with the surgery he performed. I really appreciate your post as it gives me a sense of relief that I still have a spincter problem and that I should probably get another opinion. Hope you have gotten relief since your last post. God bless.

Old 06-17-2010, 12:20 PM   #6
    3436sean
    (male)

3436sean HB User

I apologize for not posting updates sooner, but I did finally get into to see my CRS a week or so ago for my 8 week post-surgery follow-up. I told her about the recurrence of the fissures, or at least perceived recurrence, and expressed my concerns and worries about the entire situation and my prospects for healing. She took a look and told me that actually, the large fissure site, the one we did the LIS to resolve, looked significantly better and in her estimation was roughly 90% healed. The recurrence that I assumed had taken place was only a very superficial new fissure near the site of the problem fissure. She advised me to start taking Miralax at night, and cut back on the stool softeners throughout the day/evening and continue my diet and water regime as I have been.

Since then things have been feeling better, the superficial smaller fissure is not bothering me anymore and in general, bowel movements are getting to be more and more less painful/stressful. For that I am infintely thankful. I am keeping a positive open-mind and hope that the healing continues and I am able to move on with my life.

I will continue to read and update this thread as the process continues as I value the feedback others have shared in regards to their situations down the road as time passed.

Cheers

Old 08-14-2010, 05:48 PM   #7
    FeelingFine2010
    (female)

FeelingFine2010 HB User
    Unhappy Re: sphincterotomy yesterday.. fissures.. internal hemmeroids *good experience*

Have no fear, "3436sean". I, too, have been in the same boat as you...had the LIS surgery and it seemed to get better for a while but then the fissure came back. I know how discouraging it can be.

According to my surgeon, it's not the MOST common occurrence, but, yes it does happen. According to him, I have a lot of very strong muscle fiber in the area and this is preventing the fissure from healing completely, or leaving the area more prone to fissures.

I've decided to have a second LIS procedure. I'm very positively anticipating this one...feeling like it will do the trick.

Keep your chin up! Good luck!

Closed Thread