It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board

• Perianal Abscess - possibly back again?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-18-2011, 12:55 AM   #1
    Pug89
    (female)

Pug89 HB User
    Unhappy Perianal Abscess - possibly back again?

Hey,

This is my first thread on a board like this - took me awhile to come up with a username that no one could ever associate with me. (My problem is obviously quite awkward.)

Anyway, I'm 21 and my problems started in October 2009.

I had a perianal abscess; it wasn't actually touching the anus as many seem to think when I use that word to describe it and one GP was calling it "perirectal" instead, so perhaps that is more accurate.

I'm a type 1 diabetic and originally thought it to be a boil; long story short, it went necrotic and was so painful I was convinced I was dying. (I'm good with pain so that says a lot.)

I had surgery and was in hospital for almost 2 weeks, then had a nurse come to my home to continue the packing procedure daily for around a month.

I did everything right and it, eventually, healed up - leaving a fair scar.

I haven't had any issues since then and to the best of my knowledge there isn't a fistula - the GP looking me over didn't seem to think so and the surgeon didn't believe so at the time of my op.

So here I am, about 18 months later - and I may have another one in the exact same place.

So far my GP gave me one course of antibiotics for a few days, then another lot of two different antibiotics for ten days, I went back and it had shrunk a lot (it wasn't large to begin with and not sore, just mildly unpleasant if I pushed on it) and she gave me a repeat for the next ten days, of which I'm now on day 5.

The problem is that there is still a very tiny lump, if I press. Going to the bathroom isn't painful, although it wasn't last time until the abscess got really bad and then it was more that everything hurt, all the time. (I was very sick.)

What I really want to know is, I got on it straight away, I'm not in any pain at all, my sugar levels (diabetic, remember?) are not high like I have an infection and the antibiotics have shrunken it but not eliminated it.

Is it possible this will go away with antibiotics? The doctor seems to think it could be the case but I've heard conflicting things; it is shrinking, is it possible it could go entirely?

If it's tiny when I go back, might they leave it a few days off antibiotics to see what happens or is it more likely they'll send me for surgery?

It is "deep", not a skin abscess - and last time it only burst because of pressure as it became huge and even then not until two days after it had become necrotic.

Any info at all is appreciated as I'm terribly concerned. My husband is away and will be for the next month or two - he'd be here if he could but it's not possible, sadly. (Last time he was the one who got me through it all.)

Thanks in advance, everyone.

Pug

*PS - I go back on Monday, so will know for sure then, just anxious as heck in the meantime.

Last edited by Pug89; 05-18-2011 at 12:55 AM. Reason: PS

The following user gives a hug of support to Pug89:
    kinkyk123 (05-18-2011)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread

Tags
    abscess, anal, perianal, perirectal, rectal