It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board

• I can live like this anymore.....

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-06-2011, 10:59 AM   #1
    taralynn2122
    (female)

taralynn2122 HB User
    Unhappy I can live like this anymore.....

I am 27 years old and am taking the medication suboxone which has lead me to become extremely constipated for the past 7 mths. ive been to the doctor and had just started to get back to a normal bowel movement routine when i noticed a pain on my right side of my rib cage. I had happened to be drinking a twisted tea at the time and thought maybe it was indigestion or something like that. Yesterday it was still there and i took some milk of mag. to go to the bathroom cuz i hadnt in a few days and thepain hasnt subsided even after a bowel movement. it kind of feels like the hunger pains u get when u dont eat but right under my rib cage. Im hoping this is just gas or something but i cant afford to keep going to the doctors for every little pain i get.... if anyone can help give me a better idea of what this is i would sincerely appreciate it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-08-2011, 04:51 PM   #2
    Mary108
    (female)

Mary108 HB User
    Re: I can live like this anymore.....

Hi there, I'm sorry youre feeling this way. I had suffered from on and off constipation for most of my life. Just this past year i had a long episode for several months. I noticed during that time i would get some sort of chest pain at times just on either one side of my rib cage or the other. Grant it, i was very worried about my whole situation at the time trying to figure out why i kept having such pain even when i was on tons of medication or stool softeners for it. So worrying did not help at all. From what you said, it sounds like it some sort of indigestion. Keep taking whatever you take for the constipation and drink ALOT of water. 6 glasses a day. and exercise helps too! Wait a few days after your next bowel movement and see if the pain is still there. Wait about a week or so and thats the time i think you should call the doctor. Just be patient, its very irritating i know ...keep me updated on how things go and best of luck!
    -mary

Old 07-08-2011, 11:16 PM   #3
    flipfleury
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

flipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB User
    Re: I can live like this anymore.....

Quote:
    Originally Posted by taralynn2122 View Post
    I am 27 years old and am taking the medication suboxone which has lead me to become extremely constipated for the past 7 mths. ive been to the doctor and had just started to get back to a normal bowel movement routine when i noticed a pain on my right side of my rib cage. I had happened to be drinking a twisted tea at the time and thought maybe it was indigestion or something like that. Yesterday it was still there and i took some milk of mag. to go to the bathroom cuz i hadnt in a few days and thepain hasnt subsided even after a bowel movement. it kind of feels like the hunger pains u get when u dont eat but right under my rib cage. Im hoping this is just gas or something but i cant afford to keep going to the doctors for every little pain i get.... if anyone can help give me a better idea of what this is i would sincerely appreciate it.
    It could be that you still have a lot of stool that you haven't passed yet after not going for several days in a row and also it could be gas. When I get gas pain that I am unable to expel it's usually because I need to have a bowel movement. I take it that you are on a narcotic pain medication on regular basis. If this is so then you need to be extra vigilant in keeping your bowels moving on a regular basis. The best way to do this is to drink at least 64 oz. a day of water and slowly increase your dietary fiber to 25-35 grams a day. Eat meals regularly at the same time every day and have a set time schedule for sitting on the toilet for 30 minutes to have a bowel movement. I use the slow deep breathing exercises to help my body,mind,anal and rectal muscles to relax which actually helps aid in having a bowel movement. This does work if you do this every day at the same time. I have been doing this since the beginning of March 2011. If I deviate from my schedule for more than 2 days in a row then I pay for it dearly in that I am constipated again and I have to resort to using a glycerin suppository so that I don't have to strain and force my self to pass a large,hard,dry stool which is very painful. I know what it is like to be so constipated that you have to push so hard down on your abdomen to force the bowel movement to come out. I have suffered from chronic constipation all my life so I know it's not fun and very painful . Do yourself a big favor and keep your bowels moving every day because it's certainly so much healthier for you overall and a lot less painful !

Last edited by flipfleury; 07-08-2011 at 11:17 PM.

Closed Thread