It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board

• Lasr Hemorrhoidectomy recovery

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-31-2011, 12:37 PM   #1
    jwalt2008
    (female)

jwalt2008 HB User
    Talking Lasr Hemorrhoidectomy recovery

I am a 28 year old female who has sufferd with hemorrhoids since my first pregnancy 8 years ago. Well 2 pregnancies and loads of bowel problems later, my MD decided that surgery was the only solution left. AFter living with the contstant sensation of barbed wire in my rectum and frequesnt anemia from bleeding I "bit the bullet" and had the Laser Hemorrhoidectomy yesterday at the Laser Surgery Center in Phoenix. Dr Stuart perfromed the procedure and it was fairly easy...once they knocked mt unconcious. The prep for the surgery went smoothly and everyone was very accomodating and pleasant.
    Here is my post-op experience thus far:
    Day 1: THe local anesthetic lasted about 6 hours, so I was feeling ok. I took my Percocet and Valium every 4 hours on a schedule to head off any pain. I am an RN and I know that it is easier to prevent pain, then to make it go away. I started with a light lnch after surgery and made sure to have light snacks with each dose of medication to prevent nausea, as the pressure in my bottom would tear me in half if I vomited! I also had an endomitrial ablation while under anesthesia, so I have to limit my time in sitz baths, but 15 minutes in the salt water bath, followed by 15 minutes of icing the area does wonders. ( Tip: always follow heat with ice so that you minimize the inflammatory response to the area and minimize pain and swelling). It was suggested that I continue with my normal bowel care medications ( Sennkot, glycerine and miralax) but I always make sure to take 2 sennakot with each dose of Percocet, as it is very constipating. I was unable to stomach the mineral oil so I ordered Castor oil capsules, and take those instead so I dont get nauseated eating that nasty oil! I had no problems urinating and so far the swelling has been minimal due to the heat/ice combination and ibuprofen every 6 hours.
    Day 2: it is now mid-day of day 2 and I felt like I need to have a BM> My dr told me a liquid glycerine suppositiry was ok as long as the applicator is very well lubricated, so I took one dose this am and prepared myself for horror. I sat in a hot sitz bath, had a bucket handy for vomiting, a cold water bottle and a cool rag. After 25 minutes, all that passed was a few blood clots, so no actual BM yet. The worst part so far is the paper cut feeling when passing gas. I have been minimizing the gas with beano everytime I've eaten for the last week leading up to surgery, so it has helped. Nothing terribly awful thus far.
    My advice for anyone preparing for this procedure is to start softening up the stool well in advance of surgery, reduce any gas buildup starting a few days prior and prepare for the worst. Hopefully, noe of the horror stories I've read here will come to pass, but I"m still nervous. Also, take you meds on a schedule for the first few days, no sense in letting the pain overwhelm you. I have delivered 3 children vaginally and this is certainly no worse than recovering from that, so far. My doc said to be prepared to be pretty much down for 4-5 days, 75% back at about 2 weeks and full recovery in 6 weeks. I will keep you posted. At this point I wuld highly recommend the Laser Surgery Center in Phoenix and the laser hemorrhoidectomy over traditional scalpel or banding procedures. please feel free to contact me with any questions. I was terrified of this procedure, and now I think it is the best thing I have ever done!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-01-2011, 03:42 PM   #2
    jwalt2008
    (female)

jwalt2008 HB User
    Re: Lasr Hemorrhoidectomy recovery

Laser Hemorrhoidectomy recovery continued..
    Day 3: 48 hours after procedure I fianlly had a BM after feeling lots of pressure. I took Dr. Stuarts advice and tried to pass the movemnt in a hot sitz bath. While it felt awkward, it did help it come more smoothly and I did not have to strain at all. Fortunately there was no sweating,shaking, passing out feeling that I have read about on this site! I did have some sites tht were stinging, kind of like a paper cute, but this went away quickly once I ran hot water over the are with a hand held shower nozzle. I dried the rea well and covered in with bag balm as directed.
    Because I am dependent on glycerine suppitories for my movements, I did notice some increase in spasms before and after BM. Dr. Stuart advised me to go ahead and use them and to double the Valium from 5 mg to 10 mg for as long as necessary. This increased my nausea, to the point of vomiting, so I had to initiate an anti-emetic, Zofran, to prevent any more vomiting. THe pressure to the rectum is unbelievable. At this point I feel as sore as I didi after childbirth, and count myself very lucky. I wonder how many of the "horror stores" on here are the traditional method vs.the laser method, sincre most of the posts are not specific to which type of procedure they had.
    WHile I am nowhere near up for normal activity, I can nurse my son an his regular eeding scheule and sit up to play with my 2 an 7 year old daughters, so I'm not completely out of commission, however I am grateful for my nany and family who have helped with all the "heavy lifting" aspects of my day. I feel like I will certainly be able to return to work next week. I'll keep you posted.

Closed Thread