It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board

• Anal fissure? Inflamed skin? Eeek

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-13-2011, 06:56 AM   #1
    Hypochondria24
    (female)

Hypochondria24 HB User
    Anal fissure? Inflamed skin? Eeek

This is my first post after trolling to find an excuse for my rectal discomfort.

It started after a series of bad BMs over the course of one day. By the fourth time I'd used the bathroom and had nothing but diarrhea, I noticed that my perianal was on fire long after the BM was over. I examined it with an hand mirror and saw swollen flesh, so I laid off the spicy foods, stopped temporarily wearing thongs, and uped my fiber intake. The burning sensation stopped literally the next day and I never saw any blood in my stool, the bowl or on the toilet paper. The only lasting side-effect was a "puffy" feeling on the outside of my anus, like I had something stuck to it.

A week later, my anus still felt strange so I made an appointment to see my doctor. After an external rectal examine, she said it was most definitely not a genital wart or hemorrhoid (thank goodness), and that it looked like normal tissue that had become inflamed from my admittedly- awful BMs the week before.

It's been about a week and a half since I saw my doctor and I had been thinking it was clearing on it's own, but I had an awful situation where I had to go and was forced to "hold it" for about fifteen minutes until I could get to a bathroom. It was similar to the BM that started this whole fiasco. And now I feel like I'm back at square one.

I guess my main question is how long does it usually take other people to heal from this sort of thing? Is it a true "anal fissure" (which I question, since there's literally no pain since the first day, or blood ever) or just some overly irritated skin, as my doctor said, and I just re-irritated it? Aside from the added fiber (which I keep up with religiously) I haven't tried anything in terms of a sitz bath or ointments. Again, there is no pain or blood during or after BMs, just a general feeling of swollenness.

This whole thing has caused me much strife and embarrassment.

I'm 24, female and never given birth, had anal sex, etc.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-13-2011, 07:20 PM   #2
    gardenandcats
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

gardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB User
    Re: Anal fissure? Inflamed skin? Eeek

Probably just a skin irratation. If the happens again clean yourself well after a bowel movement(sopa and water) .then apply some type of ointment. Just plan vaseline helps alot. A barrier ointment such as desitin that is used for diaper rash works great..

The following user gives a hug of support to gardenandcats:
    Hypochondria24 (09-14-2011)
    The Following User Says Thank You to gardenandcats For This Useful Post:
    Hypochondria24 (09-14-2011)
    Old 09-13-2011, 10:08 PM   #3
    Hypochondria24
    (female)

Hypochondria24 HB User
    Re: Anal fissure? Inflamed skin? Eeek

Thank you very much for the response and advice. As my username suggests, I tend to let my mind run wild when it comes to anomalies of the body.

Closed Thread