It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board

what type of doctor should i consult?

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-29-2012, 07:37 AM   #1
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: baton rouge, la
Posts: 1
cre HB User
what type of doctor should i consult?

Hello. I am having issues and am in search for some advice. Lately, I have noticed changes in my bowel habits and I know it's something I need to get checked out. For about 3 months, my BMs have been more frequent, a lot more loose and often thinner than normal. Often I will have watery diarreha type BM but unlike normal diarreha, I don't just -have- to go... it's not urgent, that is just how it comes out. I have not noticed any blood, the color seems normal and even the consistency but it just seems more "broken up" than it used to be. Every now and then, a BM will be normal but more often than not, it's much different than my normal. This was my only symptom that really worried me and forced me into researching bowel and colon disorders and cancers which has lead me to find out that I have other symptoms as well. About 2 years ago, I lost weight without trying. I went from 120 to about 108 very fast. I had my gynecologist do all kinds of bloodwork and everthing was normal. I'm back to about 112 or so now... I figured my metabolism just bounced back a little. I also have always had back bain since I was a kid but recently it has gotten worse. I'm also tired lately but have been very busy. I am just not sure what to do, I know it could be nothing but realize it could be somethign serious. I'm 27, otherwise healthy.... have never really had issues with this before but feel like until I get this checked out, I will be a nervous wreck. I need to know what type of doctor I should go to? I recently moved and am far away from my OBGYN and I don't really have a normal general doctor. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb
Old 01-29-2012, 08:47 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Ireland
Posts: 3,511
solofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB User
Re: what type of doctor should i consult?

It sounds a lot like IBS to me but to be sure you should see a Dr.
I had similar symptoms but more than you. Mine started with a change in bowel movement,
e.g Loose, Ribbon Like, one day Diarrhea next constipation, then Gas and Bloating etc.
I was told by my Hospital Consultant that any change in the Bowels should be investigated. In the first place I saw my usual Dr and she reffered me to the hospital for tests. Tests revealed Diverticulitis (You are too young for that) and IBS.
See a Dr and get peace of mind.
I wish you well,


Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Sign Up Today!

Ask our community of thousands of members your health questions, and learn from others experiences. Join the conversation!

I want my free account

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:28 PM.

Site owned and operated by HealthBoards.comô
© 1998-2018 HealthBoards.comô All rights reserved.
Do not copy or redistribute in any form!