It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board

• can't poop without laxatives

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-09-2012, 03:57 AM   #1
    charlotte50
    (female)

charlotte50 HB User
    can't poop without laxatives

Hi everyone i'm new here and need some help! hopefully i'm posting this in the right place but here goes....

The past couple of weeks i've been experiencing really bad constipation, i've never had particularly frequent bowel movements anyway (approx 2-3 times a week) however in the past four weeks i've only been 4 times, 3 of which were induced through laxatives. As of today it has been a week since my last bowel movement and i am again considering taking laxatives. Also it seems my body won't respond to a normal does of laxatives as when i tried taking the recommended dose of ducolax for four days nothing happened at all, so i know its bad but i'm taking around 5 whenever i need to go which means i end up with awful diarrhea which i figure is better than nothing at all.
    Some details; i'm 20 normal weight but i have suffered from bulimia for quite a long time which i'm guessing could have caused whatever's going on? I have never abused laxatives though and still digest enough food that i shouldn't be constipated.

I can't get to my doctor for a couple of weeks so if anyone has any idea whats going on and can help me out i will be very very grateful because at the moment i'm quite scared

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-09-2012, 05:33 AM   #2
    trickyvicky
    (female)

trickyvicky HB User
    Re: can't poop without laxatives

Have you tried an enema?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Tricky Vicky
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 08-09-2012, 06:28 AM   #3
    charlotte50
    (female)

charlotte50 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by trickyvicky View Post
    Have you tried an enema?
    no i haven't, i know what they are but wouldn't really know how to go about having one...can i do it at home?

Old 08-10-2012, 07:40 PM   #4
    flipfleury
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

flipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlotte50 View Post
    Hi everyone i'm new here and need some help! hopefully i'm posting this in the right place but here goes....

The past couple of weeks i've been experiencing really bad constipation, i've never had particularly frequent bowel movements anyway (approx 2-3 times a week) however in the past four weeks i've only been 4 times, 3 of which were induced through laxatives. As of today it has been a week since my last bowel movement and i am again considering taking laxatives. Also it seems my body won't respond to a normal does of laxatives as when i tried taking the recommended dose of ducolax for four days nothing happened at all, so i know its bad but i'm taking around 5 whenever i need to go which means i end up with awful diarrhea which i figure is better than nothing at all.
    Some details; i'm 20 normal weight but i have suffered from bulimia for quite a long time which i'm guessing could have caused whatever's going on? I have never abused laxatives though and still digest enough food that i shouldn't be constipated.

I can't get to my doctor for a couple of weeks so if anyone has any idea whats going on and can help me out i will be very very grateful because at the moment i'm quite scared
    Try using a glycerin suppository. It will take a while for it to work. Drink some hot beverages with caffeine it to help stimulate peristalsis and take a brisk walk for 10-15 minutes and hopefully this will help the suppository to work a little faster. If this doesn't work after 2 hours then try a oil based enema. You can give this to yourself just follow the directions on the box. When you finally do get a strong urge to have a bowel movement,don't excessively strain or force the stool out,take slow deep breaths and hold them to the count of 10 and slowly exhale and keep doing this until you have passed a bowel movement. It's so much less painful.

Closed Thread

Tags
    constipation, laxatives