It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board

• bowel descent and ulcers

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-12-2012, 12:30 PM   #1
    carly33
    (female)

carly33 HB User
    bowel descent and ulcers

I have recently been diagnosed with rectal descent and ulcers in my bowel after a examination under anaesthetic. I am in a lot of pain and taking 100 mg of tramadol every few hours. unfortuantly the pain is very bad and found that tramadol does not help my pain anymore. Recently been on 60mg of codeine every 4 hours which has made me very constipated despite using enemas. For years doctors diagnosed me with ibs but when i started to get rectal bleeding and fissures i was examined further. Does anyone have any advice? the consultant said it can be repaired with surgery but whilst waiting for next appointment i am in severe pain and unable to lift anything at work as i am a nurse.

The following user gives a hug of support to carly33:
    flipfleury (08-14-2012)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-13-2012, 08:33 AM   #2
    quincy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User
    Re: bowel descent and ulcers

Hi...just to clarify..are you meaning you have rectal prolapse and ulcers in the rectum?

Or are you meaning you have ulcerations and bleeding but in your descending colon?

I suggest you get a copy of the results from the scope.

Did the doctor take biopsies?

My concern would be the term "ulcers"....and the cause, etc...because inflammatory bowel disease such as Ulcerative Colitis or Crohn's can cause ulcerations in the rectum/colon. And rectal inflammation can cause constipation.

So, I'm not clear on exactly what you have...

What enemas are you using?

q

Old 08-13-2012, 08:54 AM   #3
    quincy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User

Hi...just to clarify..are you meaning you have rectal prolapse and ulcers in the rectum?

Or are you meaning you have ulcerations and bleeding but in your descending colon?

I suggest you get a copy of the results from the scope.

Did the doctor take biopsies?

My concern would be the term "ulcers"....and the cause, etc...because inflammatory bowel disease such as Ulcerative Colitis or Crohn's can cause ulcerations in the rectum/colon. And rectal inflammation can cause constipation.

So, I'm not clear on exactly what you have...

What enemas are you using?

q

Old 08-13-2012, 02:34 PM   #4
    carly33
    (female)

carly33 HB User

Yeh i have several ulcers in my rectum and a prolapse of my bowel biopsies were taken and came back normal so not ulcerative colitis. I recently used a phosphate enema and microlax enema but it hasnt helped. I used to go up to 20 times a day but since taking the codeine ive been feeling like I need to go but not been able too

Old 08-13-2012, 08:18 PM   #5
    rufous57
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

rufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB User

What about taking stool softeners, for each dose of codeine, take one stool softener? Does your diet include enough fiber and water to keep yourself from getting constipated? I feel your pain, I have had a fissure and an internal rectal prolapse, (and hemmorhoids) and I would not wish that on anyone. I hope you are seeing your doctor soon and feel better.

Old 08-13-2012, 10:45 PM   #6
    flipfleury
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

flipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by carly33 View Post
    I have recently been diagnosed with rectal descent and ulcers in my bowel after a examination under anaesthetic. I am in a lot of pain and taking 100 mg of tramadol every few hours. unfortuantly the pain is very bad and found that tramadol does not help my pain anymore. Recently been on 60mg of codeine every 4 hours which has made me very constipated despite using enemas. For years doctors diagnosed me with ibs but when i started to get rectal bleeding and fissures i was examined further. Does anyone have any advice? the consultant said it can be repaired with surgery but whilst waiting for next appointment i am in severe pain and unable to lift anything at work as i am a nurse.
    Have you tried using a glycerin suppository to help soften the stool and then see if you're able to go ? Try taking Citrucel 3 times daily with an 8 oz. glass of water before and after each dose. Drink at least 64 oz. a day or more of water and drink 8 oz. of warmed prune juice at bedtime and in the morning and then for breakfast eat oatmeal with flax seed in it and a hot cup of coffee or tea. About 20-30 minutes after you finished eating breakfast go sit on the toilet try to move your bowels. Sometimes it can up to 30 minutes of sitting on the toilet of reading a good book or magazine or listening to relaxing music to be able to move your bowels. The more relaxed you're the easier it will be to move your bowels. I found that slow deep breathing exercises actually helps you to go. Have you ever tried a sitz bath or sitting in a warm tub of water to help with the pain ?

Old 08-14-2012, 03:58 AM   #7
    carly33
    (female)

carly33 HB User

Hi yeh have taken senna movicol phosphate enemas and microlax enemas they didnt work so i have had to come off codeine and back on tramadol. Its very painful i am struggling to work as i work in a nursing home. I drink a lot but dnt eat that much as in terrible pain. People say to me well ive got tummy ache too but its much more than that gps just dont seem to understand. I am waiting on an app still to see surgeon hopefully then i will get more answers as they cant leave me like this

Old 08-14-2012, 04:23 AM   #8
    carly33
    (female)

carly33 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by flipfleury View Post
    Have you tried using a glycerin suppository to help soften the stool and then see if you're able to go ? Try taking Citrucel 3 times daily with an 8 oz. glass of water before and after each dose. Drink at least 64 oz. a day or more of water and drink 8 oz. of warmed prune juice at bedtime and in the morning and then for breakfast eat oatmeal with flax seed in it and a hot cup of coffee or tea. About 20-30 minutes after you finished eating breakfast go sit on the toilet try to move your bowels. Sometimes it can up to 30 minutes of sitting on the toilet of reading a good book or magazine or listening to relaxing music to be able to move your bowels. The more relaxed you're the easier it will be to move your bowels. I found that slow deep breathing exercises actually helps you to go. Have you ever tried a sitz bath or sitting in a warm tub of water to help with the pain ?

Old 08-14-2012, 04:26 AM   #9
    carly33
    (female)

carly33 HB User

Hi yeh tried stool softeners come off the codeine now as before taking it used to go up to 20 times a day. Havnt got a bath at home only a shower. Will try relaxing muscles a bit as i tense up cause of the pain

Old 08-14-2012, 12:19 PM   #10
    quincy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

What did the doctor say was the reason you have ulcers in your rectum?

Are the ulcers associated with inflammation around them or are they solitary here and there?

I was assuming your enemas were medication, not ones that would cause you to have bms. I would suggest you go back to your doctor and ask for something like proctocedyl suppositories to help with the inflammation, possible infection in the ulcers and a numbing agent.

q

Old 08-14-2012, 02:37 PM   #11
    carly33
    (female)

carly33 HB User

I have ulcers in my rectum as bowel has dropped and both sides are rubbing together. No they are not solitary there are a few of them. Had enemas ro reduce inflammation but they didnt work! Dont know what to do bout pain as tramadol causes me to have bad headaches and codeine constipates me so not reallt sure on what i can do

Old 08-14-2012, 02:58 PM   #12
    carly33
    (female)

carly33 HB User

I have ulcers in my rectum as bowel has dropped and both sides are rubbing together. No they are not solitary there are a few of them. Had enemas ro reduce inflammation but they didnt work! Dont know what to do bout pain as tramadol causes me to have bad headaches and codeine constipates me so not reallt sure on what i can do

Old 08-16-2012, 11:23 AM   #13
    quincy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

What enemas were you on and how do you know they didn't work?

Did the doctor say WHY you have the ulcers in your rectum?

q

Old 08-17-2012, 04:58 AM   #14
    carly33
    (female)

carly33 HB User

I used hydrocortisone enemas they worked a bit first time i used them but when asked for more dr said can only be used for a short period of time and couldnt give me any more. Dr said got ulcers in rectum as both sides of my bowel are rubbing together causing the ulcers like a pressure sore! Its very painful xant drink alcohol as scared it will aggrevate it and living on painkillers x

Old 08-17-2012, 10:49 AM   #15
    quincy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Will you be having surgery to deal with the prolapse?

You could ask the doctor for you to try mesalmine enemas or the suppositories to help heal the ulcers. In the UK there is Asacol foam enema that should be fairly easy to retain.

Another option might be numbing suppositories that will help relieve the pain.

q

Last edited by quincy; 08-17-2012 at 10:50 AM.

Closed Thread