It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board

• Hemorrhoidectomy Recovery - Some DOs and Dont's

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-17-2012, 08:52 PM   #1
    VJAY71
    (male)

VJAY71 HB User
    Hemorrhoidectomy Recovery - Some DOs and Dont's

I had a Hemorrhoidectomy done last Saturday. I had a small anal fissure and thromosed external. This is 7th day and I am healing OK and on the road to recovery. I am planning to go to office from Monday.

I have had several root canals done before but the pain during the first 4 days after Hemorrhoidectomy was excruciating - i was not prepared nor expecting the same.

I owe my recovery to so many posts on the internet that I thought I should give it back by posting important Dos and Donts.

What to expect after the surgery
    - Lots of Pain for the first 4-5 days depending upon your preperedness.
    - Pain and burning sensation
    - Some swelling and tenderness in the anal region
    - Liquid Diet on the first 1-2 days
    - Little or no bowel movement first 1-2 days
    - Painful gas release
    - Frequent urination especially during/after sitz baths
    - Some blood clotting & itching
    - Pain Killers & laxative prescription
    - Little sleep
    - Dont expect the doctor to tell you all the truth about pain :-)

Important DOs and Dont's

- After the surgery like mine, they insert a cloth guaze in your anus for protection. Make sure it is either removed if it is not going off on its own after a day or two. If you dont realize this, then you will wonder why you are not able to have a BM. It will cause tremendous pain.
    - You can expect some blood clotting. Dont worry this is normal. Just dont get worried
    - Eats lots of liquid food for day 1-3. My reco is plenty of Water, COCONUT WATER, CITRUS FRUIT Juice, Soup etc. I did this with regular food upto day 7 now.
    - Avoid Spicy Food.
    - If you are eating regular food then please include Beans, Spinach and those which are heavy in fibre to ensure easy bowel.
    - If you are an indi-an or if you like rice, then Idli or curd rice is the best. Have curd rice with regular curry of beans or chips so you can savor it.
    - Avoid eating a lot. Just enough
    - Avoid Coffee, Tea or Soda the first 3-5 days
    - If you are taking Pain killers then eat some food before taking it. Wash it down with plenty of water.
    - You can try sleeping on the side if it helps. You can use chairs that have some cloth or softness on it for sitting.
    - You can do some walking whenever you get a chance
    - If you have a help i.e your wife or sibling or parents around then it helps a lot.

BOWEL MOVEMENT
    - I found that BM on western toilet is painful. I found a post on squatting and god bless the person, that is the best advice. I am an indi-an and used Western Types and never realized the science behind Squatting type.
    - Search for Squatting on Google. This is very basic type of toilet used in India and believe me this is the best method post Hemorrhoidectomy for a BM
    - Buy a small bed pan and squat on the ground in your regular toilet. You will find that it is not only easy to have a BM but also less painful.
    - Ensure you have enough hot water before passing a BM.
    - If you cant bear the pain and burning, try BM after you had your pain killer. General reco is dont stop a natural BM.
    - Ensure you have Sitz baths after every BM. I used hot water plus Betadine.
    - The type of dress you wear should be comfortable. Avoid tight jeans. You should try what we call in India - Lungi atleast for a week. It is very comfortable.
    - Ensure you clean well including the toilet.

IMPORTANT WORDS TO REMEMBER

Coconut Water, Citrus Fruit Juice, Cloth Guaze, Squatting, Sitz Baths, Beans, Spinach, Betadine, Rice, Dress and ofcourse PAIN.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery and hope this helps.

Cheers
    VJAY

Last edited by VJAY71; 08-17-2012 at 09:24 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread