It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board

• Improving the state of seton/fistula drainage via change of DIET

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-31-2013, 11:14 PM   #1
    Iron Fist
    (male)

Iron Fist HB User
    Lightbulb Improving the state of seton/fistula drainage via change of DIET

Hello all. I'm male & have had three surgeries for recurrent perianal abcess; the third surgery (in '08) included the insertion of a surgical ribbon seton. I concur with the common experience of being very much left in the dark as to the nature of the whole procedure, and I could go on at length as to my bafflement in this matter. When the seton didn't ever magically disappear - nobody had properly filled me in at all in this regard - I declined further surgeries, partly based on the prodigious posts I found on messageboards like this. My 'wound', as I refer to it, has existed in various states, always messy to varying degrees. For a while there, a bulge built up opposite the main drainage wound and operated somewhat like a hand-pump, but then that bulge of tract formed a small replica of the main exit point, the one opened by the insertion of the seton. Following that, I had two 'wounds', the volume of discharge now being somewhat shared. As many people reading this know all too well, the messiness can be frustrating and compromising, likewise the discomfort & pain. I could detail various aspects of the condition now but they are probably all variations on what many of you reading this have experienced first hand. The point of my post is this: just before Christmas ('12), I decided to try giving up sugar, as my girlfriend had been extremely enthusiastic in her own decision to do the same, in about September. I am writing this April 1st (and no, it's not an April Fool's joke) and am able to report that OVERALL - I must stress that, i.e. overall - the condition of the fistula has improved. Whilst it still leaks and bleeds a little and is sometimes painful to sit on, or is occassionally hot and itchy, etc. - and whilst I sometimes feel the general sense of 'poisoning' that it could bring on - it is, for the most part, more subdued. The sheer volume of discharge and blood was all-defining for me, previous to my change of diet. I have stopped eating fructose sugar wherever possible (I believe that in the U.S., corn syrup is used the same way as fructose & sucrose are here in Australia). There is no end of literature on the subject but I very strongly and very seriously advise that if you are a reading this, and know about the symptoms I've briefly mentioned, IT IS WELL WORTH GIVING UP SUGAR. Don't get distracted by debates and apologies and excuses on the matter. Give it a go. You will have to give up lollies/candy, chocolate, ice cream, muesli bars, 'diet' milk, breakfast cereal, biscuits/cookies, cakes, syrups, most sauces etc. etc. If you do any reading on the matter, you will also see that so-called 'lite'/'light' foods are usually full of sugar, so they're out too. Ease right up on the fruit, drink REAL full fat milk, eat cheese, meat, green vegetables. Switch to COCONUT OIL or REAL BUTTER over margarine or other cooking oils. There is evidence that sugar feeds infection, and we live with a kind of permanent infection. Like I say, my fistula situation has not completely dried up but it is not as messy as before. Another bonus is that you'll be better off overall, healthwise, and you'll probably lose excessive weight if that's an issue. PLEASE DO CONSIDER taking a resolute step in this direction now. All the best.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread

Tags
    fistula repair, perianal, sugar, sugar free foods