It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board

• Facing colectomy and scared witless ! Any tips?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-06-2013, 01:06 PM   #1
    katerina1
    (female)

katerina1 HB User
    Unhappy Facing colectomy and scared witless ! Any tips?

Hey there. I'm hoping someone in this amazingly responsive e-world may just be able to draw alongside and help me. My world got turned on its head this week and I don't know where to turn.
    I'm 43, fit and healthy, and other than chronic diarrhoea as a consequence of Nissen fundoplication surgery three years ago I can't say anything is wrong. Well, that was till I got a colonoscopy done .... On Tuesday I was told that I ought to get my colon removed in the next few months as they found multiple polyps in there , too many to risk removal through repeated colonoscopies.
    Nothing's turned bad yet but they say it will given time.

So here I am. Waiting to see the surgeon in a few weeks. Waiting to find out what my surgical options for pouches are. And scared witless. My brain doesn't stop running. I know I can count myself lucky these were found before anything turned. There is evidence of low grade dysplasia. But I don't feel lucky right now.

Is there anyone out there who knows how lonely and scary this feels ? Has someone got any advice for me ? I'm in the uk and looking for support groups or someone who will just listen to me. Never felt so alone in my life. Or stressed. It freaked out.

Please help

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-07-2013, 07:12 AM   #2
    jc673
    (female)

jc673 HB User
    Re: Facing colectomy and scared witless ! Any tips?

Completely understand your anxiety. Best advice is to do your own research about the reputation of your surgeon and be sure the surgeon is an expert in the surgical procedure. Know possible complications of your options and % Rate of those complications. Please get pre-op counseling and be prepared to experience psychological challenges. Acceptance is key because it's a body image change that requires a complete change in the way you eliminate and it your lifestyle may have to adapt in ways that may be challenging.
    You are strong and it will improve your wellness.

Debra

Last edited by mod85; 04-07-2013 at 11:57 AM.

Old 04-07-2013, 07:23 AM   #3
    jc673
    (female)

jc673 HB User
    Re: Facing colectomy and scared witless ! Any tips?

Gather a lot of info on your options and possible complications. Also be sure your surgeon has a high success rate with the surgical procedure. Cannot stress enough how important it is to get pre-Op counseling. Acceptance is key because a change in body image is permanent and the way you live your life will be alter but your wellness will improve.

I'm happy to share my knowledge. 6 years living with an ileostomy and its been a very challenging journey. Support is key.

debra

Closed Thread

Tags
    colectomy, colon removal, multiple polyps