It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board

• Happy recovery from hemorrhoidectomy

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-25-2013, 06:11 AM   #1
    assault
    (male)

assault HB User
    Smile Happy recovery from hemorrhoidectomy

I am 30 years old and have been suffering from internal and external hemorrhoids for last few years. Since last year internal ones started prolapsing too which have to be manually reduced but that was not much of a problem and once or twice in a year, external one flare up but would eventually be ok in few days. But this year, after having constipation external one got really bad and swollen and I tried everything from sitz bath to ointments to diet modification, all home treatments ( turmeric with ghee, garlic and anything and everything which was there on internet, tried to avoid seeing a doctor because of embarrassment. To complicate it further I have also got a fissure. In the presence of fissure it was difficult to manually get those internal ones put back in rectum. Every Bowel movement has now become nightmare. Ultimately I have to tell my family that I m suffering from this problem. Consequently searched a colorectal surgeon in my city. I stay in Delhi, capital of India. My doctors advise was to get surgery done. I was surprised he didnt even told me about any diet modification or do some home treatment. I was in doubt probably Doctor is biased towards surgery becoz of cost involved. He advised me to use Lactulose solution and Anobliss to use in the meanwhile.
    I went home and decided to try home treatment further as I read so many negative feedback about this surgery in internet. For next one month I used sitz baths, lactulose solution and ointment. Someday it felt its getting fine and the other day, I m back to previous satae of suffering.
    Now I decided I cant take it anymore and will get surgery done. I reconsulted Doctor and scheduled for surgery. I got it done in 17th july 2013. and now its almost one week.

Day Before surgery:

I was admitted, got all my blood tests and x rays done. Had PAC clearance. Got my behind shaved.

Surgery day:

I had my BM early morning. Was taken to OT at around 10 AM. And at around 10-30, I was given anaesthesia and told u l feel sleep. A second later I think I was under anaesthesia. I woke up in recovery room slowly gaining consciousness and a slight pain in my behind. I realized, I have been operated. Sister asked me if there is any pain. I said, slight. She said let here know if it becomes unbearable. I told I can bear it at present. After half an hour I was sent to the ward and I had not very sever pain as I was expecting as per my research on this surgery. I had an urge to pee which I did in urine pot as I was afriad to stand. It was a bit difficult but it happened eventualy after trying for 5 minutes. I was so relieved that I wudnt b required to catheterized.
    I asked for water and I tried to drink it while I m lying and what happened was reflexive cough and then I realized I did something wrong it caused spasmic contraction of my anal musculature. That was too painful. So guys b careful. These painful contraction do happen in between especially when there is some sudden movement around u.
    later in evening doctor visited me and said everything went well. He told me that there were not only internal and external hem but a polyp too in rectum and a fissure also. So he dissected everything with laser, removed 3,7 and 11 o clock hemmies, did lateral sphincterotomy and sent the polyp and hemorrhoid mass fro biopsy. He assured nothing serious. I shared my anxiety about my first bowel movement. Should I eat less... he just told me eat as per ur appetite and when there is a strong urge go and have BM whether its tomorrow and day after tommorrow.
    I felt an urge the same day, but it was all gas and nothing.
    I was given intravenous painkiller that evening.

1st day post op

No urge for BM, Just the gas thing, later in the afternoon I was discharged with prescription of stool softener and pain medication Voveran for five days twice daily. Pain was not very severe and I was very relieved that this surgery was not as painfull as I thout, but all day I had anxiety, what will happen when I wud have to go for my first BM. Spasmic anal contractions were less today.

2ND DAY POST OP,

still no BM. All day I took rest, walked a bit. Contractions were less in numbers and pain was also less.

3rd day Post op

had strong urge in the morning. I was ready with the hot water. Did it. No doubt it was painfull but had to be done, cudnt sit as I was too afraid of breaking the stitches.... yaa guys standing position with legs slightly apart. But I think its better than doing it in water tub...... there was no bleeding as I in fear looked down. But yea after you done ur anal muscled will contract forcefully hurting you... it was very painful. So I just jumped into the hot water tub with little betadine solution as it is antimircobial. After 5 min, I was again fine. Threw the water and refilled the tub with clean hot water and stay there for next 15 minutes.

Next 3 days BM were regular, ofcourse with pain, but at the end after sitting in hot water, I got very relaxed.

Today is the seventh day, BM still painful but thats only when it start coming out and once its done, its over. Mind it I have anal fissure too so I do expect pain for next few more days, thats what Doctor told me today.
    He said he l do anoscopy once the pain is all gone. Biopsy report, all fine, just hemorrhoidal mass, and polyp is just a mass around the blodd vessel. So relieved.
    Today I joined my office and feeling 80 percent improved. 100 peercent I would say when I l have BM without pain.

Painkiller I have decided to stop today. Will continue with high fiber diet and stool softener and plenty of water.

My recovery so far was not as horrible as I have got to know through internet although I have internal, external hemorrhoid, an anal fissure and a polyp too. And mine was not stapled hemorrhoidectomy. Done through laser.

I have read one scientific paper where they have concluded that patients who gets lateral sphincterotomy have less pain as compared to patients who just go for hemorrhoidectomy. I feel this might be the reason for less pain in my case.

I would advise, if nothing is helping your hemorrhoids and its affecting your daily life, you should go for this procedure but just discuss all pros and cons and also about should you get sphincterotomy to have less postoperative pain.
    and try to get best colorectal surgeon, you wont like to have some unexperienced guy experiment with your behind. you just got the one for whole life...

and do get medical consultation, if I wouldn't have, the polyp mass inside me would have created more trouble to me.
    Every patient is different and the conditions too vary which might affect the recovery. so just dont get biased by peoples opinion. see what is right for you and go ahead. people say many things with their experience. You go by yours.
    moreover time is supporting entity and nothing is bigger then your own fear.
    and lastly " Sometimes the best thing that you can do is not think, not imagine, not obsess. Just Breathe and have faith that everything will work out for the best"
    Wish you all good luck.

Last edited by mod85; 07-25-2013 at 08:05 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread