It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board

• Discomfort after a Bowel Movement

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-20-2013, 10:21 AM   #1
    Seth Sazu
    (female)

Seth Sazu HB User
    Discomfort after a Bowel Movement

This is my first post, so here goes nothing;

For the past few months I've had discomfort or pain following a bowel movement. I feel "sick" for hours afterwards. I have a very healthy diet that is high in fiber and I drink over 64oz of water a day. I try my best to get my weekly exercise, although sometimes I fall a hit behind.

Ive had bowel problems my whole life; In my elementary through middle school years, I was unknowingly lactose intolerant, which granted me the gift of constipation, bloating, diarrhea, all that fun stuff. When I discovered I was lactose intolerant I immediately changed my diet and it was smooth sailing from there, pardon the occasional forgetfulness, except I was always constipated. It got pretty bad with small amounts of blood in my stool, although I eventually got over it with the aid of Merilax, which I am on no longer.

Any suggestions or ideas as to what it is?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-20-2013, 11:01 AM   #2
    SoundsFamiliar
    Inactive
    (male)

SoundsFamiliar HB UserSoundsFamiliar HB UserSoundsFamiliar HB UserSoundsFamiliar HB UserSoundsFamiliar HB UserSoundsFamiliar HB UserSoundsFamiliar HB User
    Cool Re: Discomfort after a Bowel Movement

I suggest you bring this to the attention of your doctor, it just might be a symptom of something serious considering your background.

sf

Old 09-20-2013, 11:40 AM   #3
    lenvegas
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

lenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB User
    Re: Discomfort after a Bowel Movement

Hi, it is very possible you have an imbalance of your intestinal flora which means you could be lacking the appropriate good bacteria which aids digestion. Taking a daily wide spectrum probiotic and/or eating Greek yogurt on a regular basis will aid in creating the right balance of good bacteria in your gut and could very well prevent your constipation, it is probably worth a try. Me, I had many digestive issues 15 years ago so I started a series of colonics and probiotics which I still participate in now and my system runs perfect. The colon is the seed of your health and immunity. Also stepping up your exercise to include vigorous cardio/aerobic activity will also aid digestion. I hope these few ideas help you out but if not seek out a medical professional because constant constipation is not a healthy thing, take care.....

The Following User Says Thank You to lenvegas For This Useful Post:
    Seth Sazu (09-20-2013)
    Old 09-21-2013, 07:34 PM   #4
    rufous57
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

rufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB User

In what way are you feeling "sick" specifically? Where is the discomfort or pain? Is it in the intestinal area? I would highly recommend getting checked out by a doctor anytime there is blood in the stool, just to rule out something really serious. Are you straining? You could have hemmorhoids or an anal fissure, but this needs to be determined by a doctor. You seem to have the fiber/water thing going on and that is a good thing, but it's not a good idea to be dependant on laxatives. You might ask your doctor about an additional fiber supplement such as Citrucel?

Old 09-21-2013, 10:29 PM   #5
    Seth Sazu
    (female)

Seth Sazu HB User

Sorry for being unclear. I am no longer on laxatives. By "sick" I meant that I'd have pains radiating from my intestinal area, sometimes faint sometimes very strongly, along with nausea and loss of appetite. The pains would be strong after a bowel movement if I "wasn't finished," so to speak. Within about a hour I'd have another bowel movement and the pains would decrease, but not completely fade for some time, a few hours at least.

As for the blood in the stool, I noticed that during a stool sample request from my doctor, who dismissed it after testing for anything wrong. The results came back negative for any problems, or so I've been told. The stool test was done because I had rather extreme constipation to the point where my entire intestinal area was bloated, firm and painful if any pressure was put on it; this had been going on for a very long time. My doctor had prescribed Merilax at this time. I originally went to the doctor because I couldn't tell when I had to urinate until it became very painful, as constipation had become a norm for me and I didn't exactly know what normal stool was supposed to be. I am no longer constipated nor have any problems with my stool itself.

Last edited by Seth Sazu; 09-21-2013 at 10:31 PM.

Old 09-22-2013, 10:55 AM   #6
    rufous57
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

rufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB User

Okay, that's good to know. I was unclear whether you had been seen by a doctor or not. I truly believe blood in the stool needs to be seen by a doctor. So the problem is definitely in the gut then...Have you tried probiotics? I eat organic yogurt daily. And btw, I am lactose intolerant, but for whatever reason, yogurt does not upset my stomach like milk or cheese.

Old 09-22-2013, 04:46 PM   #7
    Seth Sazu
    (female)

Seth Sazu HB User

I recently started taking probiotics (yesterday, actually), so I'm no sure if they will have an affect yet.

Old 09-28-2013, 07:12 AM   #8
    apis
    (male)

apis HB User

I think you should see a CRS (colorectal surgeon) who will perform sigmoidoscopy, it's done in doctor's office and can detect fissure and hemorrhoids, which would be the most likely source of blood in your stool. And then go from there...

Closed Thread

Tags
    bowel movement, discomfort