It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board

• Young and worried about colon cancer

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-28-2014, 11:38 PM   #1
    cschulz1990
    (female)

cschulz1990 HB User
    Unhappy Young and worried about colon cancer

For the past 3 months, I have been experiencing terrible stomach problems. Every night and early in the morning I am woken up by terrible stomach cramps and experience multiple episodes of diarrhea. My stool seems to be different every time I go (sorry if this is TMI). They are mostly mucusy, no blood. However I have very dark stool sometimes, and also very light stool sometimes. Half the time I have these stomach cramps, I will sit in pain and nothing will come out at all, and other times I have diarrhea up to 8 times a day. I haven't been experiencing weight loss, but have gained weight in the past year due to other medical reasons. My stomach is almost always bloated, and I do have acid reflux and have had it for years but have never experienced anything like this before. At first I just thought it was stress but this has been going on for 3 months now and I'm starting to think something else is going on. I have regular stomach aches and pretty much all my pain is below the belly button. I spoke with a nurse who said I shouldn't have waited 3 months to be seen, so I'm actually going in for an emergency appointment tomorrow because the nurse doesn't want to see me in the hospital because of this. I have read so many stories about colon cancer, and the symptoms I seem to be experiencing seem to go hand in hand with colon cancer. I'm sure this could also be IBS? I also was on narcotic medications for a year for pain due to benign tumors in my leg, could long term medication use cause these symptoms as well? I never had an issue before. I am just worried and am tired of being sick all the time. I couldn't even sit through work training without getting sick! And the stomach cramps are unbearable and nothing seems to help. 😞 I know colon cancer is typically a cancer that strikes people at an older age- I will be 24 in June. Help!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-29-2014, 03:13 AM   #2
    ladybud
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User
    Re: Young and worried about colon cancer

It is unlikely that you have colon cancer at your age. However, your symptoms could indicate an inflammatory bowel condition, and you certainly need to be checked for that, as well as celiac disease and ulcers. Sometimes a CT scan is ordered, and often a scope of both upper and lower GI tract is done to see if there is inflammation, ulcers in the lining of the stomach and small and large intestine. It is important to find out if there is any family history of inflammatory bowel disease, such as ulcerative colitis or Crohn's disease, or celiac disease/gluten intolerance. Infections such as bacterial and parasitic can cause symptoms like this too, so all possibilities should be investigated.

Closed Thread

Tags
    cancer, colon cancer, ibs, stomach cancer