It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board

• Need some bowel infomation

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 07-29-2014, 10:37 AM   #1
    littlebitlarisa
    (female)

littlebitlarisa HB User
    Need some bowel infomation

I had a spinal cord detether surgery on 07/18/14. After surgery they started loading me up on miralax and colace. With the temporary loss of sensation and the mixture of the medicines I was unable to feel when I was to have a bowel movement and therefore could not control it. It was pretty much water and was a very embarrassing thing to go through while at the hospital. Also my husband, in-laws and I had to get a bit closer than I was initially comfortable with as they were cleaning me up more than the nurses were. I started refusing the bowel medications in hopes that things would at least firm up some and not be so messy. I am home now and mostly am able to feel when it is about to happen though I have still had a few accidents. I want to regulate my bowel and get on a bowel program but with the pain medications I am on I think I do still need a bowel med to make sure I do not get constipated which happens easily for me even before surgery. I would often go almost 2 weeks without a bowel movement then it would seem like I would evacuate everything in one day. It would go from hard small pieces to eventually liquid with pieces. I would also get cramps that would almost make me pass out and actually did a few times.

So my questions are....

1. What bowel med can I take that wont cause cramps what will help keep me from getting constipated and not make me have watery diarrhea?

2. Also I am scared to go out in public due to the chance of a accident. What would be a good adult diaper to wear that does not show much under clothing? Also one that does not come up to high if possible. I have a large incision on my back that i do not want to be irritated. Even when I do have a accident it is not a complete bowel movement.

3. Also any tips on getting bowel regime going?

Thank you!

The following user gives a hug of support to littlebitlarisa:
    rufous57 (07-30-2014)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-29-2014, 10:24 PM   #2
    rufous57
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

rufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB User
    Re: Need some bowel infomation

Are you off the stool softener yet? I always hate the feel of having to use them but I know with pain meds they are necessary. You might consider asking your doctor about taking a fiber supplement like Citrucel or Metamucil. Fiber can help to firm up your stool-you need a variety of soluble and insoluble. Often people can't eat enough natural fiber, that's why I would ask about the Citrucel. Also not sure if something like Poise Pads would be enough protection? Other than that, Depends is all I can think of but it would be nice if someone could invent a less conspicuous protective pad.

Edited to add:

Can you eat yogurt? Probiotics and calcium in yogurt can help to firm up stool as well.

Last edited by rufous57; 07-29-2014 at 10:26 PM.

Old 07-30-2014, 06:56 AM   #3
    littlebitlarisa
    (female)

littlebitlarisa HB User
    Smile Re: Need some bowel infomation

I have been off the softener for a few days and cut back on my fruit intake as fruit was all that I was eating and things firmed up some. I am getting more warning but still get some smears(sorry TMI) in my undies on the way to the potty. At least im not having a watery mess in the bed anymore

Last surgery they wanted me to use Metamucil and rebellious teenage me did not do like they asked.

I eat some yougurt but its not a favorite of mine but I will try doing that a little more.

I am going out in public today and last night my husband picked me up some Assureance protective underwear to try out. That is the only "adult diaper" he was able to find in a small package so I could try it out. I only need them when I am out in public right now and since this is getting better I hope I wont need them for long so no point in buying 60. Also the depends website has a offer for free samples that I signed up for and they say that I will receive them in 7-10 days so I can try those too and see if I like them better.

Thank you so much for the advice!

Old 07-31-2014, 10:16 AM   #4
    STLouisgal
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

STLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB User
    Re: Need some bowel infomation

I saw your post on Tuesday and then yesterday I saw an ad in a magazine for Butterfly body liners. These are just thin pads that you insert/stick in your buttocks for mild ADL (Accidental Bowel Leakage). If you try them, let us know how well they work.

Last edited by moderator2; 07-31-2014 at 10:41 AM.

Reply Reply