It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board

• Recovery after lateral internal sphincterotomy with anoplasty.

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 11-29-2014, 10:22 PM   #1
    Duty
    (female)

Duty HB User
    Recovery after lateral internal sphincterotomy with anoplasty.

Hello everyone! I had a lateral internal sphincterotomy with anoplasty 3 weeks and 3 days ago.

A little history: I had a chronic anal fissure for years that I thought was a hemorrhoid. My crs made the diagnosis when I finally decided to get the problem taken care of. I'm pretty lucky in the fact that the pain was never that bad. The major problem and ultimate reason for the surgery was the large skin tag (sentinel pile) that had formed. Not only did I just not like having that ugly, protruding bump there, it made hygiene difficult. At times the itch was also unbearable.

Surgery: In and of itself, not bad. Pain fluctuated between 1-4 on a scale of 0-10. Doc gave me toradol and vicodin. Took Toradol for 4 days , Vicodin for 2. After that 400mg of advil 2-4x a day for a week.

First BM post-op: I was dreading it but it wasn't that bad. The only weird thing was I had a hard time passing it completely . It got stuck halfway out and I panicked. The sphincter didn't contract enough to squeeze it through. I had to pull it with toilet paper(gross.... sorry). I up'd my water intake as well as Metamucil l+ stools softeners. No prob after that.

Recovery: After the first week the soreness started to go away but I still had swelling. My biggest complaint was and still is a clear (at times yellowish or pinkish or even brownish) discharge that got on my underwear at times. My anus is just persistently wet. It isn't feces but rather the kind of drainage you get from a wound that's trying to heal, though it does have an odor at times. That makes sense but I didn't think it should last this long. At my 2-week follow-up the doc said all was healing well and the discharge normal (though I've seen few people post about it). I also have occasional light bleeding with Bm's. Sitz baths are the biggest relief + soothe the most. They also decrease swelling. I've regretted the days I wasn't faithful to my fiber + softeners.

Time off work: Returned in 2 weeks. I'm a physical therapist in a hospital. Very active. Requires occasional lifting. No problems. Brought unscented baby wipes for Bm's since I couldn't do sitz baths at work.

Questions: Anyone else have that discharge I was talking about?

Last edited by Duty; 11-29-2014 at 10:28 PM. Reason: spelling and phrasing corrections

Sponsors Lightbulb

Reply Reply

Tags
    anal fissure, lateral internal sphincterotomy