It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board

Irregular Bowel Movements

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-22-2015, 08:15 AM   #1
JRacks
(male)

JRacks HB User
Irregular Bowel Movements

Hi there,

Okay so I think I've been putting this off for long enough trying to ignore it. So here's the thing -- I never poop. It might be once every 4 days. But even then it's odd occurrence. I say odd for a couple reasons. First of all, I'm into bodybuilding but I'm not an ignorant meathead. Some quick info I'm about 180 pounds not much over 10% body fat at the moment, Im a nutrition major, so I eat very healthy. No fast food, no sodas, my carb sources are for the most part complex ones, I.e. Vegetables and fruit. So I get plenty of fiber (at least 25-30 grams a day). I also drink a lot of water, 1 1/2 - 2 gallons a day (roughly a liter per hour during my work hours), and I also take a probiotic supplement to help gut flora. So back to why it's odd when I do poop: because even then I feel like I need to but I feel like I'm forcing it when I do. It can also be very gut-wrenching at times. I know common sense tells me I'm obviously very constipated. But I've looked all over the Internet trying to find answers and all I see is... Take more fiber and drink more water. I'd like to think I consume much more water and fiber than the typical American so I'm at a loss. Just wondering if anyone has any answers before I schedule an appointment with a gastroenterologist.

Thanks,
J

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-22-2015, 03:36 PM   #2
rufous57
Senior Veteran
(female)

rufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB User
Re: Irregular Bowel Movements

I don't have any answers for you- I am not a doctor, you should always see your doctor when something like this arises as you will want testing and probably a complete physical exam to rule out potential causes. However, I am wondering what do you mean by "it can be gut wrenching"? Please try not to strain on the toilet, this can lead to all sorts of unpleasant things such as hemorhoids, anal fissures! (been there, done that! )

As to your diet, would you say you eat largely vegetarian or primarily meat? A lack of fat in the diet can cause constipation. Also, are you taking any other medications, vitamins or supplements that could be constipating? (for example, iron, calcium pain meds = constipation) Just some things to think about while you wait to see your doctor- please keep us posted as to how it goes and hope you find some answers soon!

Old 01-22-2015, 05:42 PM   #3
JRacks
(male)

JRacks HB User
Re: Irregular Bowel Movements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rufous57 View Post
I don't have any answers for you- I am not a doctor, you should always see your doctor when something like this arises as you will want testing and probably a complete physical exam to rule out potential causes. However, I am wondering what do you mean by "it can be gut wrenching"? Please try not to strain on the toilet, this can lead to all sorts of unpleasant things such as hemorhoids, anal fissures! (been there, done that! )

As to your diet, would you say you eat largely vegetarian or primarily meat? A lack of fat in the diet can cause constipation. Also, are you taking any other medications, vitamins or supplements that could be constipating? (for example, iron, calcium pain meds = constipation) Just some things to think about while you wait to see your doctor- please keep us posted as to how it goes and hope you find some answers soon!
Thanks for the reply! What I mean as gut wrenching is that I get very very painful feelings in my gut right around my navel during my bowel movements. Not from pushing too hard or anything of the sort, but just from the bowel movement itself.

In regards to my diet, I'm carb-cycling (or cyclical ketogenic diet) where during the weeks I have limited carbs (50 grams of carbs not including dietary fiber) and high fat / moderate protein (1 gram / lb of lean body mass). But I refeed on carbs during the weekend to spike my insulin and fill my glycogen stores since they are most likely running low from a weeks worth of workouts. But dietary fat is my energy source because my body is in a state known as ketosis in which means my body burns fat for fuel. I know saying the switch in diet can cause an adjustment period for your digestive system, but I've only been on the diet for 2 weeks so I know that it isn't the issue because this has been such an occurrance for months. I'm not on any medications and I just take a multivitamin fun before I started that it was still an issue. So idk what to think.

Reply Reply

Tags
bowel movements, constipation, constipation help