It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board

Budesonide for Ulcerative Colitis

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-13-2015, 06:48 AM   #1
beth2389
(female)

beth2389 HB User
Unhappy Budesonide for Ulcerative Colitis

This is my first post here, although I've been reading these boards and finding solace with people who are suffering as I am. I was diagnosed with moderate-severe ulcerative colitis this week and have been given Budesonide, which I take 3x, to calm my first real (and painful) flare. However, I don't feel like it's working fast enough, as my bowel movements are still as frequent and bloody after my fourth dose.

I put a call into my doctor to discuss dosage, but I was wondering if this medication takes longer because of its slower release than pred? I am new to all of this and would appreciate insight from those that have been there.

Thank you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-13-2015, 09:29 PM   #2
Ravin835
(female)

Ravin835 HB UserRavin835 HB UserRavin835 HB UserRavin835 HB UserRavin835 HB UserRavin835 HB User
Re: Budesonide for Ulcerative Colitis

I take it for a different type of colitis. It is not a systemic steroid like prednisone which acts on the adrenal glands, but has to build up in the tissues of the colon which can take several weeks. My pharmacist told me six weeks but it did not take that long. I have chronic d and budesonide makes it about 50 percent better. I also take lomotil twice a day, otherwise I would not be able to leave the house.
I hope you feel better soon. I know people with UC who heal and stay in remission for long periods, hope that is the case with you.
Looks like I will have this everyday for the rest of my life, so I wonder about long term side effects.

Reply Reply

Tags
budesonide, chrons, flare, ibd, ulcerative colitis