It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board

complications from small bowel obstruction

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-21-2015, 12:35 PM   #1
dv774
(female)

dv774 HB User
complications from small bowel obstruction

On January 30th I started having severe abdominal pain. My stomach hurt all over and was very tender. Pain was mostly around umbilical area. I have severe GERD so I initially thought that was it. Finally went to doctor on Feb 2nd. He sent me to the ER for a urgent evaluation and CT scan. CT scan showed a small bowel obstruction. Had emergency surgery on Feb 4th. I had a large obstruction caused by previous hysterectomy and 2 c-sections. The surgeon was able to do the surgery through laparoscopy with much difficulty. Couple days later I bleed through my NG tube but nothing was found. I was in the hospital for 2 weeks.

During the 2 weeks I had much difficulty tolerating any food or liquids. Also was still not pooping. After suppositorys, laxatives and stool softeners I finally pooped 1 time in the 2 weeks I was in the hospital. Also had severe pain after eating any food. I've been home now since Feb 21. I finallypooped again Feb22. I have not pooped again since then. I am still having a lot of pain after I eat.v I also have a lot of bloating and nausea since the surgery. I am being very careful of what I eat and am following a low fiber diet. I am afraid I am obstructed again. I am having a lot of pain and even more after I eat. I am bloated and haven't pooped in 5 days. Should I be worried ? I am taking colace and miralax. Any suggestions would be appreciated !
Thank you !
Dianna

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-21-2015, 08:54 PM   #2
nana b
(female)

nana b HB Usernana b HB Usernana b HB User
Re: complications from small bowel obstruction

sounds like you do have another obstruction. That's the way my SMO was in August, mine was resolved in 5 days with a NG tube. Did you say adhesions caused your SBO?? That is what is causing mine. If the surgery was done laproscopic, some of the adhesions could have been missed. My GS says mine are so DENSE that he has to go in open surgery. Of 5 of my surgeries for adhesions, 3 have been open. I make the adhesions, they grow and come so fast. I am told that they start growing right after abdominal surgeries. Sounds like the surgeon needed to open you up and check all areas thoroughly. Mine make me nauseated, pain, tugging and very very constipated. I can't go without meds and enemas. let me hear from you.

The following user gives a hug of support to nana b:
dv774 (02-22-2015)
Old 02-22-2015, 08:35 AM   #3
STLouisgal
Senior Veteran
(female)

STLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB User

I am sorry you are going through this! As quoted below, it sounds like you haven't pooped in 5 days even though you said you pooped on Feb. 22 which is today?

"I've been home now since Feb 21. I finallypooped again Feb22. I have not pooped again since then. I am still having a lot of pain after I eat.v I also have a lot of bloating and nausea since the surgery. I am being very careful of what I eat and am following a low fiber diet. I am afraid I am obstructed again. I am having a lot of pain and even more after I eat. I am bloated and haven't pooped in 5 days."

You had serious surgery and the bowels can take awhile to regulate after they have been handled. But I don't know how to tell if it is an obstruction or not. When in doubt, you should seek medical help.

If you don't mind me asking, how long ago was your hysterectomy? I also had one (which was totally unwarranted at that) and I am so afraid of this happening to me. I have had bowel issues ever since as it is (9 years) along with many other after effects of the hysterectomy. The thought of a bowel obstruction is just another thing about which I have to be concerned!

I hope things get back to normal soon! Let us know how you are doing.

Old 02-22-2015, 10:48 AM   #4
dv774
(female)

dv774 HB User

Hi ! Thanks for your ideas and support. Sorry I have the dates wrong. Damn percocet !! Pooped one little bit last Monday the 16th. I came home Sunday the 15th. I only pooped one tiny bit a couple of days before I came home. I haven't pooped since Monday the 16th. My hysterectomy was in 1994, had c-sections in 1985 and 1987. The surgeon actually told me it was unusual for it to take over 20 years to get an obstruction. It was caused by scar tissue and adhesions he said...probably from all of the surgeries but more probably from the hysterectomy. He said my surgery was very difficult and I was lucky he didn't have to open me up. I go back to my regular / attending doctor tomorrow and back to the surgeon on Friday ! I have SO much pain...especially after I eat ! No gas or burping either ! I'm scared....I NEVER EVER want to go through this again !!!!

Old 02-22-2015, 10:53 AM   #5
dv774
(female)

dv774 HB User

Hi ! Thanks for your ideas and support. I am VERY afraid I have another obstruction. The NG was BAD but didn't help my obstruction. Yes ! The GS said my obstruction was caused probably from a hysterectomy I had in 1994, also had 2 c-sections in 1985 and 1987. I forgot to mention that a repeat CT scan done after the bleeding episode showed a ileus. My question is does the ileus always resolve by itself ??

The following user gives a hug of support to dv774:
nana b (02-23-2015)
Old 02-22-2015, 11:40 AM   #6
nana b
(female)

Unhappy Re: complications from small bowel obstruction

I don't mean to scare you but according to my general surgeon who knows my tummy inside and out very well, the first time he went and did exploratory surgery the only surgery I had before was hysterectomy and he found adhesions with me. Since then due to the extreme pain he has done 3 more laparoscopic clean out of the adhesions and 3 more open surgeries due to the density of my scar tissue. In August 2014 I had extreme pain in my belly, could not pass gas and even had one small bm that day, when I called his office he had me go to re. At the dr he had ordered X-rays, and found I had Small bowel obstruction. SBO
Luckily it was cleared with a ng tube, but basically it could very well happen again ,but surgery would be risky so, if I get pain,sounds like your pain, I am to go to er, assuming it is a SBO again.
You might need to go to er, I had zofran on hand and Demerol, and it didn't touch the pain. When I got to er they fade me I've morphine and more zofran. Of course I was so bad I threw up all over the nurse. It was awful pain. So I live yes in fear.

Yes, since the hysterectomy I had appendix, and gallbladder surgery which more adds to the adhesions, but what do you do live with a bad gallbladder or appendix, no.

Just some thoughts

Old 02-22-2015, 11:58 AM   #7
STLouisgal
Senior Veteran
(female)

STLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB User

No doubt that is concerning that you have not pooped since Feb. 16 and only a small amount then and the day prior. I feel for you going through this and hope you do not have another obstruction!

My mother had an obstruction from a prior appendectomy (she had no other surgeries, abdominal or otherwise) and I believe it happened at least 25 to 30 years after her surgery. She ended up needing surgery for the obstruction.

I have to wonder if obstructions are more common after hysterectomy than other abdominal surgeries since you not only have the formation of adhesions but also re-positioning of the bowel since the uterus is no longer there to hold it in its proper position.

Old 02-23-2015, 04:04 PM   #8
dv774
(female)

dv774 HB User

Hi ! Saw primary doctor today. He said my bowel sounds are pretty much nonexistent. He doesn't think I have another obstruction but is concerned I haven't pooped since last Monday, having a lot of pain, and nauseated. I had a 2nd CTscan while I was in the hospital after I had the bleed. It showed I have a ileus. My doctor feels like I still have the ileus. My question is does ileus's always go away ?
Thanks, Dianna

Old 03-14-2015, 11:24 PM   #9
nana b
(female)

WhaT is an ileus????

Are you doing better? I had to go to er last Sunday night per my gs . To have a ct scan to see if I had a bowel obstruction. I didn't but pain was bad and nausea, too.

The following user gives a hug of support to nana b:
dv774 (03-15-2015)
Old 03-15-2015, 08:03 AM   #10
STLouisgal
Senior Veteran
(female)

I have read so much about bowel function since my bowels have been abnormal for the 9 years since my hysterectomy.

Ileus is a non-mechanical blockage of the small or large intestine. Normal bowel function involves rhythmic contractions (peristalsis) of the bowel which moves waste through the bowel. Loss of blood flow, handling of the bowels, infection are some things that can cause the bowel to stop contracting.

It sounds like the lack of bowel sounds was the basis for the doctor suspecting ileus versus a physical blockage (from adhesions or some other cause).

Hysterectomy is sort of a double whammy in that the cutting of blood vessels may reduce normal blood supply to the pelvic organs. And of course adhesions can form too.

The following user gives a hug of support to STLouisgal:
dv774 (03-15-2015)
Old 03-15-2015, 12:27 PM   #11
dv774
(female)

dv774 HB User

Hi ! I am happy to say I am pooping and doing well. The only problem I have is my stomach still hurts when I eat sometimes. When I had the small bowel obstruction I had a lot of stomach pain all over and it hurt if there was any pressure on my stomach. I was very nauseated but couldn't throw up and never did. The pain got worse every day. I also wasn't pooping and I had no urges to go. After I had the surgery I had a bleeding episode and wasn't pooping still so they did the CT scan and found the ileus.
Appreciate you thinking of me !

Old 03-16-2015, 07:23 AM   #12
STLouisgal
Senior Veteran
(female)

Glad to hear a positive update! Hope all continues to "go" well!

Reply Reply