It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Brain & Head Injury Message Board

Scalped as a child

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-31-2015, 03:21 AM   #1
Bigjoemonger
(male)

Bigjoemonger HB User
Scalped as a child

When I was around 5 or 6 years old we had a minivan. After getting groceries I liked to close the back door and would do so by jumping out of the back of the car and grab the handle, using my weight to slowly pull the door down.

My family and I went camping one time and some extended family came with and they rented a minivan like ours. After getting back to the camp site from the store I decided to close the door like I always did. But on this other car once I grabbed the handle the Pistons on the door failed. Instead of closing slowly it slammed shut. My body swung out from under me and I landed on my back. The door slammed shut on my head with the locking latch digging into my head and tearing back the top of my head. It had dug down to the bone.

I apparently got up and walked to my dad telling him I felt dizzy with blood running down my face. He sat me down against a tree and was able to lift up a little on my scalp and could see my skull. All I remember from this is the feeling of being covered in blood and an image of my dad taking off my shoes and pouring blood out of them. I was rushed to the hospital and got 32 stitches. Then seemingly made a full recovery.

Fast forward I am now 26. I have never been in a healthy relationship. I think I have mood swings. I'm depressed, I have anxiety issues. I've had panic attacks. And now I'm taking an anatomy class in college and we're going over the brain and talking about what damage to the frontal lobe can cause. And my teachers checklist felt like a description for me.

So my question is, could this event in my past have someway damaged or hindered the growth of my brain at an important stage in its development or would it be fine and I'm just damaged in other ways?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-03-2015, 05:37 PM   #2
Dancer5678
(female)

Dancer5678 HB User
Re: Scalped as a child

I don't have an answer to your question, but I just want to say that I'm so, so sorry for the accident you experienced as a child. I think it's very possible that there could be a connection between how you feel now as an adult and the injury to your head at the time. I hope you'll reach out to professionals in the field who can offer you more answers and help you toward a stronger emotional and cognitive state.

Reply Reply