It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Brain & Head Injury Message Board

Should I See a Doctor - car accident

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-11-2017, 03:44 AM   #1
kat1822
(female)

kat1822 HB User
Should I See a Doctor - car accident

Car accident over 24 hours ago.
I was so concerned for my children that I refused medical treatment, but now I'm wondering if I should be concerned.
Was wearing seat belt. I had a "goose egg" (according to emt) show up immediately after accident. I do not believe I lost consciousness because I can remember seeing the windshield smash and the airbag deploy. I felt the wind knocked out of me and then immediately looked to my children.
I have not had any symptoms, but there is still a lump on the back of my head that is very tender to the touch. I did the wrong thing by Googling head injuries and now I am afraid I may have a blood clot or brain bleed that hasn't turned up yet. When should I see a doctor? How long from the day of the accident should I know that there is no issue? Please, any advice at all would be so appreciated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-11-2017, 06:40 AM   #2
MSNik
Senior Veteran
(female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User
Re: Should I See a Doctor - car accident

Yes. You should get an opinion from either the ER or your doctor asap.
Anytime you have a head injury, you cannot know if you did any damage without a CT scan. Unfortunately, their is a possibility of anything from a concussion to a real injury. The fact that you are alert and making sense is a very good sign, but I would still go and get checked out. Dont wait.

Im glad to hear that you are for the most part- ok. You wouldn't be sitting in front of a computer writing this if you werent. (Grin!) Just dont take chances..go get checked out to be 100% sure that you didnt cause any internal injuries.

Old 08-11-2017, 07:20 AM   #3
kat1822
(female)

kat1822 HB User

Thank you for your reply! Unfortunately my doctor is not in town right now and we can't really afford the ER. Do you think I ought to go to urgent care and see if they think I should go to the ER? What should I do?

Old 08-11-2017, 08:16 AM   #4
FlyRed
(female)

FlyRed HB User

YES! Please go to Urgent Care. They will send you over for the proper test, as a non emergency or at least ours does. You avoid the ER charge that way.

Old 08-11-2017, 10:04 AM   #5
MSNik
Senior Veteran
(female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

Ours wont send you over to avoid a charge, you will be charged- but you should go to the Urgent Care..at least there you will be evaluated. Usually ER doctors work in Urgent Cares...
Good luck!

Old 08-11-2017, 11:43 AM   #6
kat1822
(female)

kat1822 HB User

I just wanted to update you all. I decided to go to urgent care. It was one of the best decisions I've made, if only because I finally found a good doctor! She evaluated me, relieved my fears, and prescribed some anti-anxiety meds for the anxiety I've been having since my son was born. She was amazing. I told her about my fear of brain bleeds etc and she told me that most of those are in older people because their brains are basically more shrivelled and less resilient. She told me what to look for to be reevaluated. Thank you all for your advice!

Old 08-11-2017, 06:57 PM   #7
JuJu Burd
(female)

JuJu Burd HB User

Great news! Glad to hear your head is o.k. & you found a good doctor. Those are hard to come by. Take care & hug those children!

Reply Reply