HealthBoards (
-   Brain & Head Injury (
-   -   Traumatic Brain Injury (

truthseeker4us 04-04-2008 11:05 AM

Traumatic Brain Injury
Does anyone know of any neurologists who specialize in mild TBI?
Also, what physical tests confirm this diagnosis

feelbad 04-05-2008 07:49 AM

Re: Traumatic Brain Injury
honestly,the best type of doc to have an eval by would be some level of physical medicine doc or physiatrist(this is not a psyc doc) these are both types of specialists who do rehab type therepys on people who have suffered either TBI like you or spinal cord injury,like me. my son went thru the TBI a few years ago. he had a double skull fracture,a frontal lobe brain bleed(severely affected his cognative functions) and was in a coma for about three weeks at varying levels. he had a neurosurgeon consulting on his case but the 'main' treatment and assessments came from the physical medicine doc.

do you have a confirmed TBI or are you just wondering if you suffered one from some sort of injury to your head? have you actually even seen a neurologist or neurosurgeon or had an MRI done or any other type of testing to confirm?

i think your best bet here as far as any real evaluation goes and also help with the appropriate type of therepys would be to find any type of facility or hospital that has a rehabiltative therepy dept or handles level one trauma. these hospitals just usually have all the rehab needs right there and availiable.

discussing this with your primary doc would probably be your best bet since you would most likely need a referral for any other specialist. he or she would know the right place to send you. speaking with the referral person at your primary clinic would help alot too.hope things are not too bad for you,please let me know how you are doing. Marcia

kind1 04-13-2008 07:59 PM

Re: Traumatic Brain Injury
The other postee gave some good suggestions about a physiatrist/physical medicine dr. He or she may also suggest talking with a neurologist to get some medical tests such as an mri and such. A neuropsychologist, however, can do a cognitive (thought process) evaluation to get more of an idea of how the brain has been affected by the tbi if at all. The neuropsych is a (Ph.d level) psychologist who specializes in the brain-behavior connection and typically works with those that have had some sort of head trauma including a stroke ('brain attack'), tbi and alzheimer's/dementia.

There actually are brain injury programs that have a team of specialists including (sometimes) a physiatrist, neurologist, neuropsych, physical (& occupational and speech) therapists. It's not a cure-all, panacea but it can help improve on certain skills to help with daily functioning. Those programs may be found at the local rehab hospital on an outpatient basis as well. The yellow pages may list some programs under 'rehabilitation' or 'hospitals'. Perhaps your family dr can refer you to one too and you can find out if your health insurance pays for those services. Please be well.

charlotte543 06-25-2008 07:35 AM

Re: Traumatic Brain Injury
Regarding TBI, I have been dealing with the formal diagnosis for brain injury for an x boyfriend for twenty years.
You need to find a neuro psychologist. They do the formal cognitive testing.
You may never see the damage on a picture type film and it's not diagnosed that way. Most neurologists are idiots.
Find a good neruo psycho and the same for the menta component.
Find a good neuro psychiatrist. Some do not accept insurance, but you'll get your dx.
Also find a brain injury association in your state.
They have TBI funds for people who can't live on their own.
Keep plugging away. It's very difficult. My boyfriend is now my friend, but I am his friend, not the other way around.
Good luck.
age 55

kind1 06-25-2008 01:16 PM

Re: Traumatic Brain Injury
charlotte543 made an excellent point that the state brain injury association may help provide financial assistance through the tbi fund in obtaining services for treatment of brain injury in those without health insurance or such.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:44 AM.