It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Brain & Head Injury Message Board

Traumatic Brain Injury

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-04-2008, 10:05 AM   #1
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Paterson nj
Posts: 3
truthseeker4us HB User
Traumatic Brain Injury

Does anyone know of any neurologists who specialize in mild TBI?
Also, what physical tests confirm this diagnosis

Sponsors Lightbulb
Old 04-05-2008, 06:49 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 10,120
feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User
Re: Traumatic Brain Injury

honestly,the best type of doc to have an eval by would be some level of physical medicine doc or physiatrist(this is not a psyc doc) these are both types of specialists who do rehab type therepys on people who have suffered either TBI like you or spinal cord injury,like me. my son went thru the TBI a few years ago. he had a double skull fracture,a frontal lobe brain bleed(severely affected his cognative functions) and was in a coma for about three weeks at varying levels. he had a neurosurgeon consulting on his case but the 'main' treatment and assessments came from the physical medicine doc.

do you have a confirmed TBI or are you just wondering if you suffered one from some sort of injury to your head? have you actually even seen a neurologist or neurosurgeon or had an MRI done or any other type of testing to confirm?

i think your best bet here as far as any real evaluation goes and also help with the appropriate type of therepys would be to find any type of facility or hospital that has a rehabiltative therepy dept or handles level one trauma. these hospitals just usually have all the rehab needs right there and availiable.

discussing this with your primary doc would probably be your best bet since you would most likely need a referral for any other specialist. he or she would know the right place to send you. speaking with the referral person at your primary clinic would help alot too.hope things are not too bad for you,please let me know how you are doing. Marcia
3-22-01,herniated C-6-7
11-20-01,placement of hardware for failed fusion
9-22-03,removal of cavernous hemangioma that was inside spinal cord. Neuro damage to L hand L leg and R leg.

Old 04-13-2008, 06:59 PM   #3
Senior Member
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 147
kind1 HB User
Re: Traumatic Brain Injury

The other postee gave some good suggestions about a physiatrist/physical medicine dr. He or she may also suggest talking with a neurologist to get some medical tests such as an mri and such. A neuropsychologist, however, can do a cognitive (thought process) evaluation to get more of an idea of how the brain has been affected by the tbi if at all. The neuropsych is a (Ph.d level) psychologist who specializes in the brain-behavior connection and typically works with those that have had some sort of head trauma including a stroke ('brain attack'), tbi and alzheimer's/dementia.

There actually are brain injury programs that have a team of specialists including (sometimes) a physiatrist, neurologist, neuropsych, physical (& occupational and speech) therapists. It's not a cure-all, panacea but it can help improve on certain skills to help with daily functioning. Those programs may be found at the local rehab hospital on an outpatient basis as well. The yellow pages may list some programs under 'rehabilitation' or 'hospitals'. Perhaps your family dr can refer you to one too and you can find out if your health insurance pays for those services. Please be well.

Old 06-25-2008, 06:35 AM   #4
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 1
charlotte543 HB User
Re: Traumatic Brain Injury

Regarding TBI, I have been dealing with the formal diagnosis for brain injury for an x boyfriend for twenty years.
You need to find a neuro psychologist. They do the formal cognitive testing.
You may never see the damage on a picture type film and it's not diagnosed that way. Most neurologists are idiots.
Find a good neruo psycho and the same for the menta component.
Find a good neuro psychiatrist. Some do not accept insurance, but you'll get your dx.
Also find a brain injury association in your state.
They have TBI funds for people who can't live on their own.
Keep plugging away. It's very difficult. My boyfriend is now my friend, but I am his friend, not the other way around.
Good luck.
age 55

Old 06-25-2008, 12:16 PM   #5
Senior Member
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 147
kind1 HB User
Re: Traumatic Brain Injury

charlotte543 made an excellent point that the state brain injury association may help provide financial assistance through the tbi fund in obtaining services for treatment of brain injury in those without health insurance or such.

Closed Thread

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Board Replies Last Post
what to expect after a ruptured brain aneurysm surgery Barbara534 Aneurysm 2 10-07-2008 05:43 AM
Fibro as a result of traumatic injury? beckyc984 Fibromyalgia 6 04-08-2008 12:17 AM
traumatic injury leading to other symptoms alex73 Open to All Other Health Topics 10 05-15-2007 04:48 AM
Brain injury & alcohol Bethersbabyy Brain & Head Injury 6 11-21-2006 05:24 PM
question about brain injuries! tangledvines Brain & Nervous System Disorders 5 10-11-2006 04:11 PM
Is anyone living with a Mild Traumatic Brain Injury? mim Brain & Head Injury 12 05-04-2006 09:44 PM
Any advice for TBI (Traumatic Brain Injury) Survivor? PhaedrusZ Brain & Head Injury 7 02-11-2006 03:46 PM
Carpal Tunnel in addition to a traumatic hand injury! barton93 Carpal Tunnel Syndrome 2 11-14-2005 09:55 AM
Osteoarthritis vs post traumatic arthritis Michele0789 Arthritis 3 07-23-2001 08:49 PM

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Sign Up Today!

Ask our community of thousands of members your health questions, and learn from others experiences. Join the conversation!

I want my free account

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:16 AM.

Site owned and operated by HealthBoards.comô
© 1998-2018 HealthBoards.comô All rights reserved.
Do not copy or redistribute in any form!