It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Brain & Head Injury Message Board

Recheck with Physiatrist post TBI... what should I ask or expect?

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-28-2013, 06:59 PM   #1
wendya2J
(female)

wendya2J HB User
Recheck with Physiatrist post TBI... what should I ask or expect?

Hi everyone,

I had a TBI in February of 2013, and had another one in September while still doing therapy and recovering from the first one. I have my 2nd follow up with the physiatrist at the rehab facility I was at for both inpatient stays. I feel like I haven't made a ton of progress since he saw me 8 weeks ago, and so I'm kinda scared! Will he say no more therapy! Im done making progress? I has a knee injury since I saw him last, and that made me go a bit backwards in PT. And cognitively, last time I saw him I was still getting homecare, so although I'm not back to work, I wasn't really involved in the real world yet...now that I am, things are much harder! Headaches also seem to enhance difficulties like attention, focus, stuttering....

Will he be upset with me? What questions should I ask him? I'm so nervous! Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-28-2013, 11:08 PM   #2
gourdgrower
(female)

gourdgrower HB Usergourdgrower HB Usergourdgrower HB Usergourdgrower HB Usergourdgrower HB Usergourdgrower HB User
Re: Recheck with Physiatrist post TBI ...what should I ask or expect?

I can assure you your psych will not be angry with you, nor will he/she have problems with your current issues.

The way the doctor can best help you is when you tell him just what you said here, the whole truth. Let him/her know of your struggles and concerns. I have always found that making a list of questions and points you want to discuss before your appointment is very helpful. It is so easy for us to forget what we wanted to ask once we get in the office.

Have your doctor go over each item on your list, and make note of what he/she suggests. This way you can make the most of each meeting, as well have a record of your visits.

I hope this helps a bit.

The Following User Says Thank You to gourdgrower For This Useful Post:
wendya2J (12-29-2013)
Old 12-29-2013, 04:43 AM   #3
wendya2J
(female)

wendya2J HB User
Re: Recheck with Physiatrist post TBI ...what should I ask or expect?

I'm 11 mos past my first injury, and 4 months past my second...shouldn't my symptoms be better by now? I'm worried I'm not making progress quick enough. I also don't want him to think I'm a whiner or hypochondriac!

I continue to have issues with attention and focus, stuttering that comes and goes, double vision and convergence difficulties, sleeping issues, balance and coordination issues...my issues have improved some since he saw me last, but they didn't go away,,,should they have by now?

Old 12-30-2013, 09:56 PM   #4
gourdgrower
(female)

gourdgrower HB Usergourdgrower HB Usergourdgrower HB Usergourdgrower HB Usergourdgrower HB Usergourdgrower HB User
Re: Recheck with Physiatrist post TBI... what should I ask or expect?

With medical events, there are no "regular" times for any particular milestones in your recovery. Your doctor will certainly be interested in the areas which you still need help with. Just tell your doctor what you have mentioned here. Hopefully he can ease your mind about the issues you are concerned about, including your fear that you have not progressed enough in this time.

He has to have the full truth to create the appropriate treatment plan for you. I survived 4 strokes, and the recovery has taken years. Progress does not follow a time schedule, and your doctor knows that. keeping your doctor informed of your condition will give you the best chance for recovery.

Your doctor is there to help you, so let him do his job by helping him understand what you need most.

Old 12-31-2013, 11:45 AM   #5
wendya2J
(female)

wendya2J HB User
Re: Recheck with Physiatrist post TBI... what should I ask or expect?

Thankyou, you are very helpful. I keep thinking that I will be a disappointment and they will want to discharge me and move on....but you are right! They are there to help! My anxiety since TBI is just nuts and makes me think all kinds of stuff that I have nothing to base it on!!

Closed Thread