It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Brain & Nervous System Disorders Message Board

• Head pain, ear pain & possible seizures

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-07-2015, 09:11 PM   #1
    tntlee03
    (female)

tntlee03 HB User
    Head pain, ear pain & possible seizures

Hi. I am a 42 year old female. Approximately 8 months ago I made 4 separate trips to my regular Dr. and Urgent Care with complaints of ear pain and pain in the left side of my head. This was not like a headache, this was a constant severe pain in the left side. After the fourth visit I was diagnosed with Trigeminal Neuralgia. I was put on Neurontin, 900 mg a day. The symptoms seemed to subside. Out of fear of the symptoms returning I remained on the medication. In May I started having episodes that last from a few minutes to sometimes several hours. These episodes are like periods of amnesia. I keep functioning, for the most part but I do not remember. Even after being told what happened I can't recall any of it. When I come out of it I am extremely confused and exhausted. My MRI and EEGs were normal. My neurologist decided to wean me off of the Neurontin hoping that the episodes were a reaction to the med. As soon as I went from 900 mg per day to 600 mg per day the ear and head pain returned. I tolerated it for 3 weeks then called my neurologist, who put me on Tegretol. I am now completely off of the Neurontin, but still on the Tegretol. I am still having episodes, the pain in my ear and left side of my head is absolutely miserable. I don't know what to do, my quality of life right now is terrible and my family and I are very frustrated. I have been told that there is nothing wrong with my ear over and over again. I have bipolar disorder and I get the feeling from the neurologist that she wants to blame that for these episodes. I was diagnosed with bipolar disorder over 20 years ago and have a good handle on it, I do not believe it has anything to do with it. Within the last month I was diagnosed with Type II Diabetes, and high cholesterol. I also have high blood pressure. I have been on bp medication for 2 years, I am now on cholesterol medication as well as the Tegretol. I am not a fan of medication, I would much rather handle things naturally when at all possible. I have adjusted my diet and exercise routine in order to get the cholesterol and diabetes under control. I just don't know what to do, I am seeing an allergist next week, I am working on getting a second opinion from another neurologist, I don't know where else to turn. Has anyone else ever dealt with this or have any suggestions??

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-07-2015, 09:48 PM   #2
    Mg2121
    Veteran
    (female)

Mg2121 HB UserMg2121 HB UserMg2121 HB UserMg2121 HB UserMg2121 HB UserMg2121 HB User
    Re: Head pain, ear pain & possible seizures

Some food for thought. ..

It quite possibly could be a reaction to the med. I understand that it is helping the pain but it's possibly causing more issues in other ways. A second opinion is a good idea . You know your body better than anyone else so push for yourself. Also, another possibility is that the Neurontin could be interacting with another med you may be taking. Especially if on a ssri or snri. Best of luck

Old 10-07-2015, 10:53 PM   #3
    tntlee03
    (female)

tntlee03 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mg2121 View Post
    Some food for thought. ..

It quite possibly could be a reaction to the med. I understand that it is helping the pain but it's possibly causing more issues in other ways. A second opinion is a good idea . You know your body better than anyone else so push for yourself. Also, another possibility is that the Neurontin could be interacting with another med you may be taking. Especially if on a ssri or snri. Best of luck

Old 10-07-2015, 10:55 PM   #4
    tntlee03
    (female)

tntlee03 HB User

I'm no longer on the Neurontin, and still having episodes. But thank you, I will push for the second opinion!

Closed Thread