It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Brain & Nervous System Disorders Message Board

• intracranial hypertension, ibs, maybe an endocrine problem?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-29-2016, 07:20 AM   #1
    Enemy Dickinson
    (female)

Enemy Dickinson HB User
    Question intracranial hypertension, ibs, maybe an endocrine problem?

Hello, I'm new. I'm also pretty much a catastrophe, and I'm trying to figure out why. I've been through too much medical crap to have any shame about discussing my symptoms at this point, so bear with me if this seems a bit long and detailed.

So, I've had idiopathic intracranial hypertension (a rareish neurological disorder, basically my cerebrospinal fluid pressure is too high) for the past few years. It's responded well to treatment with Diamox, but I have to be very careful about my potassium levels (since it isn't a potassium-sparing diuretic) and blood pH (since it can cause acidosis).

Flash back to a year ago, I begin feeling some chest discomfort and irregular heartbeats after sex. Thinking I might have overexerted myself into hypokalemia, I go to the ER. While in the ER, I have an episode of Tachy that got up to 162 bpm. It fixed itself after a couple vasovagal maneuvers, and I didn't need any medication to bring it under control. They got an EKG of the event, kept me overnight, next day the staff cardiologist says everything looks fine. Normal electrolytes, normal (though fast) EKG. I have a history of anxiety, which I actually wasn't experiencing at the time, so he gave me propranolol to use as needed. I take about 10mg and it controls my symptoms passably well.

Diamox can cause tachycardia, and the other side effects it was giving me were worse than my IIH symptoms, so I weaned off of it until I can see a new Neuro to discuss other treatment options.

Anyhow, here's my problem-- I have noticed that gastric upset is a huge Tachy trigger for me. I've also noticed that sexual arousal (even in dreams) will trigger it too, and I'm not even on any medications that might be responsible for that. Sometimes, I'll get it randomly accompanied by nausea and sweaty hands and feet. I don't drink, smoke, or consume caffeine. I've also experienced eczema, joint pain, weight loss, trouble sleeping, loose stools, jumpiness, a couple of weirdly high glucose readings (I'm not diabetic), and a crazy-high level of anxiety for awhile now. I've had a doctor mention that one side of my thyroid felt enlarged in the past, but had a normal thyroid panel at the time (years ago).

I'm getting ready to request another one from a new doctor, but, in the meantime, I want to know: has anyone else experienced this with IIH? Does it sounds more like hyperthyroidism? An adrenal problem? I want to go into my next doctor's appointment with some idea of what tests I want to discuss with her, but I feel like I'm all over the map and don't know where to start.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread

Tags
    ibs, intracranial hypertension, tachycardia