It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Brain & Nervous System Disorders Message Board

Cannot Sit Down without Migraine Occurring/Extreme Head Pressure

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-16-2017, 08:41 PM   #1
Coyotesdawn

Coyotesdawn HB User
Cannot Sit Down without Migraine Occurring/Extreme Head Pressure

I have been suffering from a variety of of neurologic health problems and disabilties, which I can presently (and incompletely) attribute to medications I have been on (klonopin, topomax, and possibly propanerol), CNS problems I was predisposed to because of autism, and a possible autoimmune or hormonal component.

In late September of last year I began having problems with sitting and laying down, but only in certain chairs; I originally believed the problem was due to how tight my muscles started becoming after a trial of topomax, but the problem continued long after I quit the medication.
If the chair were convex, or put a lot of pressure directly on my butt, I would start feeling a bit odd with head pressure. I would also eventually get a touch of hearing loss, and a sensation of tightness across my head. But I was still able to sit in chairs not like this without problems.

This problem gradually got worse and hindered my ability to sit down over last winter. Finally, in late March, something happened to my spinal arrangment during my period; I developed kyphosis in my upper spine and exaggerated lordosis in my lower spine for a reason I don't know.

Afterward I was completely unable to sit down without severe symtpoms.
If I tried, I would develop what felt like a severe migraine, major head pressure, vertigo, hearing loss, and eye pressure. There was also marked uncomfortability or dull pain in my lower back and all along my spine.

These symtpoms have continued into the present to the point where I can no longer sit down except to use the toilet. I have been forced to stand up all day, oftentimes not moving much around because I play the computer much of the time. It has resulted in exaggeration of my orthostatic problems and has probably accelerated hearing loss.
I can still lie down without issue, but only if I do so at night after I have taken my muscle relaxant.

That experience fleshed out, what might be the reason for why I get such bad headaches/migraines immediately upon sitting down?! Is this a neurologic problem, possibly related to the other issues I have been having, or is it structural and due to a poorly aligned spine?

Really desperate for answers. I have not been able to drive anywhere or leave my house for 4 months because of this, and standing all the time is having consequences for my health as well.

THank you for the help.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-17-2017, 12:42 PM   #2
ladybud
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User
Re: Cannot Sit Down without Migraine Occurring/Extreme Head Pressure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyotesdawn View Post
I have been suffering from a variety of of neurologic health problems and disabilties, which I can presently (and incompletely) attribute to medications I have been on (klonopin, topomax, and possibly propanerol), CNS problems I was predisposed to because of autism, and a possible autoimmune or hormonal component.

In late September of last year I began having problems with sitting and laying down, but only in certain chairs; I originally believed the problem was due to how tight my muscles started becoming after a trial of topomax, but the problem continued long after I quit the medication.
If the chair were convex, or put a lot of pressure directly on my butt, I would start feeling a bit odd with head pressure. I would also eventually get a touch of hearing loss, and a sensation of tightness across my head. But I was still able to sit in chairs not like this without problems.

This problem gradually got worse and hindered my ability to sit down over last winter. Finally, in late March, something happened to my spinal arrangment during my period; I developed kyphosis in my upper spine and exaggerated lordosis in my lower spine for a reason I don't know.

Afterward I was completely unable to sit down without severe symtpoms.
If I tried, I would develop what felt like a severe migraine, major head pressure, vertigo, hearing loss, and eye pressure. There was also marked uncomfortability or dull pain in my lower back and all along my spine.

These symtpoms have continued into the present to the point where I can no longer sit down except to use the toilet. I have been forced to stand up all day, oftentimes not moving much around because I play the computer much of the time. It has resulted in exaggeration of my orthostatic problems and has probably accelerated hearing loss.
I can still lie down without issue, but only if I do so at night after I have taken my muscle relaxant.

That experience fleshed out, what might be the reason for why I get such bad headaches/migraines immediately upon sitting down?! Is this a neurologic problem, possibly related to the other issues I have been having, or is it structural and due to a poorly aligned spine?

Really desperate for answers. I have not been able to drive anywhere or leave my house for 4 months because of this, and standing all the time is having consequences for my health as well.

THank you for the help.
Your symptoms are suggestive of increased intracranial pressure which can be caused by several things. You need an MRI, a retinal exam to look for swelling of the optic nerve and possibly a lumbar puncture to measure the pressure of the cerebral spinal fluid. Some medications can cause increased spinal fluid pressure, called pseudotumor cerebri. A growth in the brain should be ruled out as well as hydrocephalus, which can develop as an adult. You need to see your doctor asap and see a neurologist for consult.

Old 08-17-2017, 05:41 PM   #3
Coyotesdawn

Coyotesdawn HB User
Re: Cannot Sit Down without Migraine Occurring/Extreme Head Pressure

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybud View Post
Your symptoms are suggestive of increased intracranial pressure which can be caused by several things. You need an MRI, a retinal exam to look for swelling of the optic nerve and possibly a lumbar puncture to measure the pressure of the cerebral spinal fluid. Some medications can cause increased spinal fluid pressure, called pseudotumor cerebri. A growth in the brain should be ruled out as well as hydrocephalus, which can develop as an adult. You need to see your doctor asap and see a neurologist for consult.

Thank you for getting back to me! I have considered this possibility many times; my MRI however came back clean from May 2016, as well as one from August 2016 as far as we know (test was slightly incomplete). I had the retinal test performed twice and they could see no problems with the optic nerve. I certainly haven't had distinct visual symtpoms except for visual snow and migraine aura; it's just the inner ears that are a problem.

I have cancelled a lumbar puncture 3 times becuase of the risks it could have for me, especially if we guess wrong about this possibility and an autoimmune one. If I have the opposite problem of low CSF pressure, I additionally run the risk of going deaf or becoming hearing impaired, and that to me is something worse than death and something I will avoid even if I lose my life to another condition.

So, I don't really know what to do. My spine is clearly misshapen (from a side profile, I do look as if I am standing aside a funhouse mirror, with significant lordosis, some kyphosis, and a bad alignment of vertebrae in my neck), and that has lead me to believe something really is wrong with my spine.

Reply Reply

Tags
migraine, sitting pain, spinal compression, vertigo