It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Brain & Nervous System Disorders Message Board

• Undiagnosed condition: Two+ years in the making. Need advice

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 07-17-2018, 08:55 AM   #1
    boba
    (male)

boba HB User
    Undiagnosed condition: Two+ years in the making. Need advice

Thanks for taking the time to read this. I will attempt to be as concise as I possibly can. I don't know if the context will help, but I am a 42-year old male, non-tobacco user, social drinker. Approximately 25 pounds overweight but I am active. I was hypertensive but have gotten that under control with exercise and meds. No history of prior issues resembling the ones I am about to describe.

Two years ago in May of 2016, I caught a very late spring cold. The worst of the symptoms was a lingering cough that would not go away. At times the cough could be, for lack of a better word, violent. I would get bent over, practically see stars during some of the coughing fits. This lasted a couple of weeks. One night, during the worst of it, I went to bed and woke the following morning with what felt like insects crawling all over my forehead. I also liken it to walking through a cobweb. I didn't have a headache per say, just this extremely irritating feeling like I had something crawling all over my forehead.

At the time I assumed that I had been coughing so frequently and violently that I had irritated...something. As the summer progressed the intensity of the sensation lessened. However, here I am, over two-years later still feeling...something in the middle of my forehead. I feel the sensation on a nearly daily basis and seems to be worse on days after a poor night of sleep. While I don't feel bugs all over my forehead, it now feels like a dull ache or discomfort between my eyebrows in the middle of my forehead. Nothing I take does much to cope with the distress. I was prescribed a couple of different meds which made more drowsy than anything. I would have to go back and look at what I was prescribed.

Right now, as I sit here, I feel it. It doesn't impact my ability to function, but I am also almost continually feeling it some days. I suppose it compares to a tension headache but I can't find any relief from it. Other days, I don't experience as much. At night, when I go to bed, I rub bio-freeze on the middle of my forehead to lessen the sensation or at least change the feeling before I go to sleep.

I have tried to isolate what this is through researching online. That research has largely gone nowhere. I had found an article through the Washington Post that described an individual with similar symptoms, but I have not been able to relocate the article to share with my physician to see what he thinks.

To date, I have not seen a neurologist or had any scans of my head. I am at a point, more or less, that I have to deal with this and it is a part of my life. I am asking for advice about what I might do next. Ideally, I would like to be able to be able to visit my primary physician and toss out a couple of ideas.

Thanks for your time. I have meant to do this for quite awhile.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-17-2018, 01:16 PM   #2
    yayagirl
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

yayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB User
    Re: Undiagnosed condition: Two+ years in the making. Need advice

Dear boba,

Food that disagrees with me gives me sensations on my forehead, not exactly a headache or pain, but a tight tingling-ache. Could be called a headache, but not the same as ordinary headaches. I feel it in my head rather than in my stomach/abdomen. I also get that if over-eating something not easily digested by me.

Alcohol may be causing that tight feeling too. Drinking alcohol is like drinking pure syrup there are so many simple carbs. Eating with alcohol doesn't alter that effect any. That could cause the tingling achey-ness.

Old 09-03-2019, 07:42 AM   #3
    HelpfulMin
    (female)

HelpfulMin HB User
    Re: Undiagnosed condition: Two+ years in the making. Need advice

I would honestly have a brain angiogram to check for any abnormalities. You probably need to see a neurosurgeon or interventional radiologist for that in which I'm assuming you need a referral from a primary doctor. You might be able to get a c.t. scan first but make sure they have a neurosurgeon review it.

I have had a brain dural fistula which took probably 2 years to diagnose and no one would listen to me at first when I heard my heartbeat in my head (which actually was my fistula pulsing from my heartbeat). Insist on a scan but make sure someone who is knowledgeable reviews it.

The initial c.t. scan I had to ask for after being referred to the Head and Neck Department in which I had asked for too but the md didn't see anything wrong with a bunch of aerteries and veins going everywhere. The Head and Neck md had actually called and said it looks absolutely fine but she will forward it to a neurosurgeon to have a look. It was not fine. I was not in any immediate danger but down the line or anything could happen. That's when I had a c.t. brain angiogram and was diagnosed.

I hope you don't have any serious problem. Sometimes it's the hardest thing to get your md to order test and send you away possibly saying it's probably a migraine because you don't look I'll. Insist and let them know how disrupted your life may be every day! You really have to fight and that is what healthcare is for.

Reply Reply