It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Brain & Nervous System Disorders Message Board

• Amnesia, sleepwalking, loss of memory

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 08-28-2020, 07:24 AM   #1
    Dizzyagain
    (male)

Dizzyagain HB User
    Amnesia, sleepwalking, loss of memory

When I was around 5 or 6 I was sleepwalking pretty frequently. I stopped sleepwalking around 8. Fast forward to 2yrs ago (I'm 59). I went into my house to get something to drink. I then went outside. That was the last thing I remembered until I woke up the next morning. My wife said we had fun with the grandchildren and had a bonfire. She said it was about 3 or 4 hours from the time I went outside until we went to bed. She has pictures from that night that show me having a fun time with everyone. She said I seemed pretty normal. I do not remember anything except walking outside that night and waking up the next morning. That is when I started to have nights of sleepwalking again. Lots of nights where my wife says we have conversations in bed but I do not remember anything. A few days ago she said we went to bed at our normal time (10pm) and we had wonderful sex (her words).....I have no memory of that happening. That made me sad. I recently have been diagnosed with epilepsy. Had my first seizure last Sept. I do not know if they are related. It seems the sleepwalking/loss of memory has been getting more frequent. Anyone know what could be causing this problem?

Last edited by Dizzyagain; 08-28-2020 at 08:31 AM. Reason: Used the wrong word

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-04-2020, 07:17 AM   #2
    Dizzyagain
    (male)

Dizzyagain HB User
    Re: Amnesia, sleepwalking, loss of memeory

I was really hoping somebody could help me understand what is happening. There seems to be a lot of people looking & reading but nobody wants to help. I am sure that one day somebody will have the guts to help. I recently made an appointment with my neurologist. Hoping to find some answers before it gets to serious.

Old 09-04-2020, 07:47 AM   #3
    JohnR41
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dizzyagain View Post
    I was really hoping somebody could help me understand what is happening. There seems to be a lot of people looking & reading but nobody wants to help. I am sure that one day somebody will have the guts to help. I recently made an appointment with my neurologist. Hoping to find some answers before it gets to serious.
    Glad to hear you have an appointment with your neurologist. You're going in the right direction.

You mentioned that you were recently diagnosed with epilepsy and I wouldn't be surprised if they are related.

Under the circumstances, I wouldn't drink any alcohol.

Be prepared to tell your doctor what medications you're taking, if any, and supplements too. That's important.

Sleepwalking could be caused by stress. Have you been under a lot of stress?

If you were infected with the COVID-19 virus that could worsen any brain issues that you may have had. So keep that in mind and tell your doctor if you think you had the virus.

Good luck. Be sure to tell us the results of your doctor visit.

The Following User Says Thank You to JohnR41 For This Useful Post:
    Dizzyagain (09-04-2020)
    Old 09-04-2020, 07:55 AM   #4
    Dizzyagain
    (male)

Dizzyagain HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by JohnR41 View Post
    Glad to hear you have an appointment with your neurologist. You're going in the right direction.

You mentioned that you were recently diagnosed with epilepsy and I wouldn't be surprised if they are related.

Under the circumstances, I wouldn't drink any alcohol.

Be prepared to tell your doctor what medications you're taking, if any, and supplements too. That's important.

Sleepwalking could be caused by stress. Have you been under a lot of stress?

If you were infected with the COVID-19 virus that could worsen any brain issues that you may have had. So keep that in mind and tell your doctor if you think you had the virus.

Good luck. Be sure to tell us the results of your doctor visit.
    As far as I know, I have NOT been infected with COVID-19. I talk to my neurologist on a regular basis about my epilepsy but haven't mentioned my sleepwalking/TGA. Since the problem is getting worse, we decided to talk to him about it. It has been happening enough that I actually made a meme

Old 09-05-2020, 12:26 PM   #5
    JohnR41
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User

I neglected to mention that there is such a thing as alcohol induced dementia. And one of the symptoms is memory loss.

Old 09-05-2020, 02:20 PM   #6
    Dizzyagain
    (male)

Dizzyagain HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by JohnR41 View Post
    I neglected to mention that there is such a thing as alcohol induced dementia. And one of the symptoms is memory loss.
    I wasn't drinking but thanks for the info. 👍

Old 09-22-2020, 06:59 AM   #7
    Dizzyagain
    (male)

Dizzyagain HB User
    Unhappy Re: Amnesia, sleepwalking, loss of memory

I saw my neurologist today. He said he doesn't know what is causing the parasomnias. I have to schedule another EEG in the next few days. So because I am still having seizures, he is taking me off Carbamazepine 300mg and putting me on Aptiom 800mg....here I go again, on yet another medication.

Reply Reply