It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Brain & Nervous System Disorders Message Board

• Depersonalization/Derealization after pot

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-03-2003, 08:18 PM   #1
    Sam420

Sam420 HB User
    Depersonalization/Derealization after pot

anyone had this? i smoked fo 3 1/2 years, constatny and stopped 20 days ago because i would get anxiety/panic attacks for 2-3 months now after getting high, but now that i stopped i constantly have dp/dr, anyone have any suggestions on how i can help this?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-10-2003, 06:07 PM   #2
    scottshr

scottshr HB User
    Re: Depersonalization/Derealization after pot

Derealization/depersonalization after smoking marijuana is a normal side effect. It's one of the many bad things that occur when you make the DUMB choice to use such a drug.

Old 12-10-2003, 06:11 PM   #3
    foshizzle

foshizzle HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by scottshr
    Derealization/depersonalization after smoking marijuana is a normal side effect. It's one of the many bad things that occur when you make the DUMB choice to use such a drug.
    you a very supportive individual, obviously isolated and under the age of 25.

Old 12-10-2003, 06:13 PM   #4
    scottshr

scottshr HB User

I don't think making a smart choice makes you isolated.. lol.

Old 12-13-2003, 10:01 PM   #5
    Sam420

Sam420 HB User

scott, i appreciate your reply, although it could have been better approached, that is not the case.. the case is, and my question.. do you know about this side effect? would it be chronic i stopped? i obviously know its a "dumb" choice, everyone makes "dumb" choices, some more severe then others, im pretty sure you made a "dumb" choice or 2 in your life as well, if you haven't, you wouldnt of been on these boards.. but anyway, can you give me a more informative feedback?

by the way, it has been about 3 1/2 weeks since i stopped, haven't done any at all.. i still have the presense of Deprsonalization.. I know that THC stayes in the brain for 2-3 months, so can this be causing it?

Last edited by Sam420; 12-13-2003 at 10:06 PM.

Old 12-15-2003, 03:22 AM   #6
    hypocon

hypocon HB User

I smoked the stuff every day for 7 years in my 20's then began to get severe attacks of anxiety and depression and the doc put me on tablets for a few months.

I have begun smoking it again (after a trip to the Dam) and I have noticed I am much more stressed out during the day, this stuff is great at the time but not at all good to go about day to day activities in a normal way :S

Old 12-21-2003, 01:07 PM   #7
    nate930
    Inactive

nate930 HB User
    Angry Re: Depersonalization/Derealization after pot

To Scottshr:

I normally wouldn't comment like this but I can't help myself. I'm just feeling a little feisty today I guess.

Since you are a "newbie" maybe you need to learn that we don't judge one another on these boards, we try to help. People are on here with serious concerns and we are looking for comfort and answers not "holier than thou's". So if you could please refrain from your personal opinions that would be great. If you can't, then go away.

nate

Old 01-01-2004, 04:21 PM   #8
    loose

loose HB User

Sam- This is a really important issue to me as I have had a really bad experience with dp/dr and pot and it resulted in a total nervous breakdown...I can't explain to you WHY pot can cause you to get these sensations but I can assure you that you're not the only one to experience it.
    The second time I ever smoked pot I had a really horrendous reaction to it and it threw up loads of old stuff that I'd never really dealt with about my family situation. I reckon that dp/dr after pot can happen to anyone but it's more likely to happen if you're quite sensitive to stimulants/chemicals etc. For me the pot experience was quite hallucinagenic and trippy and I didn't feel like "myself" for a long time. I felt like I was in a bubble and that nothing was real. The dp/dr feeling was the scariest part of it all. I eventually got total depression which is unlike me as I'm more prone to feverish anxiety. I got really bad then slowly started to get better. When I felt kind of normal again, in my usual obtuse fashion I smoked it again for a while as if to prove it couldn't get the better of me. What an ******* I am. Never mind, I saw sense and realised I'm one of those people that shouldn't even drink coffee never mind mind altering stuff.
    Your dp/dr will probably last a few weeks/months and slowly start to go away. I can recommend learning some breathing exercises as anxiety/panic alone can cause the same sensations or make it worse. I think you should steer clear of prescription drugs like anti-depressants etc although I took beta-blockers for a short while for stress. Just take each day at a time and talk about it to someone you trust or someone who has had the same experience to reassure yourself that you're normal. You've done the right thing to stop smoking it and I think you should be congratulated for that. I really learned alot about myself after going through my breakdown and once I felt OK again I reassessed everything and got out of my relationship and did an art degree. Occassionally I get a panic attack or the dp/dr feeling but I know now that if I relax, it will subside. Hope this long-windedness helps you a little.
    Lucy

Closed Thread