It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....



Brain & Nervous System Disorders Message Board

  • what is a brain lesion?

  • Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Thread Tools Search this Thread
    Old 12-07-2003, 04:39 PM   #1
    don drake
    Newbie
     
    don drake's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Dec 2003
    Location: huntsville, al.
    Posts: 1
    don drake HB User
    what is a brain lesion?

    I've just been told that I have a brain lesion on the back of my brain. What is a brain lesion? Is it the begining of a tumor? I do not have MS. I'am Gulf War veteran and I was in nerve gas attack in Jan. of 91 just south of the Kuwati border. The doctors also said that I have significant brain damage as a result of oxygen deprivation. But I really need to know what a brain lesion is. Can anyone answer this question? thanks

     
    Sponsors Lightbulb
       
    Old 12-08-2003, 12:32 PM   #2
    markush
    Newbie
     
    markush's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Dec 2003
    Posts: 1
    markush HB User
    Re: what is a brain lesion?

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by don drake
    I've just been told that I have a brain lesion on the back of my brain. What is a brain lesion? Is it the begining of a tumor? I do not have MS. I'am Gulf War veteran and I was in nerve gas attack in Jan. of 91 just south of the Kuwati border. The doctors also said that I have significant brain damage as a result of oxygen deprivation. But I really need to know what a brain lesion is. Can anyone answer this question? thanks
    Im sorry for your problems and I hope everything will be ok for you. Im not 100% sure what a lesion is since english isnt my first language but Im pretty sure its an expansion in the head. This means it could be anything and not neccessarily a tumor, it could be a vascular malformation or a cyst. Also remember that there are a lot of benign tumors.
    Good luck and the best of wishes.
    /Markus

     
    Old 12-08-2003, 04:25 PM   #3
    butterflytrans
    Senior Veteran
     
    butterflytrans's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Nov 2003
    Posts: 752
    butterflytrans HB Userbutterflytrans HB User
    Re: what is a brain lesion?

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by markush
    Im sorry for your problems and I hope everything will be ok for you. Im not 100% sure what a lesion is since english isnt my first language but Im pretty sure its an expansion in the head. This means it could be anything and not neccessarily a tumor, it could be a vascular malformation or a cyst. Also remember that there are a lot of benign tumors.
    Good luck and the best of wishes.
    /Markus
    Markus has gotten most of it, but lesions don't just have to be masses. They can be ANY abnormality that you see with any radiological study. A lesion can be one of: tumour, vascular malformation, dead brain tissue, calcification, blood, pus, atrophy etc. etc. etc. of course, certain ones of those that I listed above are much less likely and that's why you have to have a good history and physical of the patient to correlate how the patient is feeling and what's on the CT. If a patient is totally asymptomatic, for example, it's unlikely to be dead brain tissue (i.e. an old stroke), or blood.

     
    Old 12-08-2003, 09:36 PM   #4
    jinglebts
    Senior Veteran
    (female)
     
    Join Date: Mar 2003
    Location: ottawa, ontario, canada
    Posts: 2,203
    jinglebts HB Userjinglebts HB User
    Re: what is a brain lesion?

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by butterflytrans
    If a patient is totally asymptomatic, for example, it's unlikely to be dead brain tissue (i.e. an old stroke), or blood.
    i agree, except with that last: i've had one lesion (an area of dead tissue) that has caused me to have right-side weakness (that means it's on the left side of my brain), and another on the right that's caused no symptoms at all ... much brain tissue isn't used for anything, hence the absence of any deficit from the lesion on the right ...

    i should explain that no one knows what i have; i'm not a gulf war veteran, my career is in tech. editing, and this so-called "stroke", which occurred in 1996, is still a mystery -- neither a clot nor an aneurism ... (i've had more tests than a pincushion) ...

    hope you're alright ...

    jb
    __________________
    keep the faith ...

    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

     
    Old 12-18-2003, 05:53 AM   #5
    Marimac
    Senior Veteran
     
    Marimac's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Dec 2003
    Posts: 897
    Marimac HB UserMarimac HB User
    Re: what is a brain lesion?

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by don drake
    I've just been told that I have a brain lesion on the back of my brain. What is a brain lesion? Is it the begining of a tumor? I do not have MS. I'am Gulf War veteran and I was in nerve gas attack in Jan. of 91 just south of the Kuwati border. The doctors also said that I have significant brain damage as a result of oxygen deprivation. But I really need to know what a brain lesion is. Can anyone answer this question? thanks
    A brain lesion is just a tissue injury. If you got a cut on your arm and cut look at it but it was not bleeding and was trying to heal, that would be a lesion. In your brain, it is an area of tissue that has been injured, or is changing cell structure for what ever reason. If you were oxygen deprived, that would change the tissue structure by causing cell death to some of the tissue. It sounds frightening but sometimes means nothing more than changed tissue.

     
    Old 01-04-2004, 04:43 PM   #6
    Halley50
    Junior Member
     
    Halley50's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Aug 2003
    Location: USA
    Posts: 14
    Halley50 HB User
    Re: what is a brain lesion?

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by don drake
    I've just been told that I have a brain lesion on the back of my brain. What is a brain lesion? Is it the begining of a tumor? I do not have MS. I'am Gulf War veteran and I was in nerve gas attack in Jan. of 91 just south of the Kuwati border. The doctors also said that I have significant brain damage as a result of oxygen deprivation. But I really need to know what a brain lesion is. Can anyone answer this question? thanks
    My husband was diagnosed with Acute Disseminated Encephamylitis Disease after they found lesions on his brain. Have you seen a neurologist? The doctor says it is a kin to MS, but not as bad. Hope this helps. Halley

     
    Old 01-04-2004, 05:32 PM   #7
    jinglebts
    Senior Veteran
    (female)
     
    Join Date: Mar 2003
    Location: ottawa, ontario, canada
    Posts: 2,203
    jinglebts HB Userjinglebts HB User
    Re: what is a brain lesion?

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Halley50
    My husband was diagnosed with Acute Disseminated Encephamylitis Disease after they found lesions on his brain. Have you seen a neurologist? The doctor says it is a kin to MS, but not as bad. Hope this helps. Halley
    i've been seeing a neurogist for years and never heard of that disease, but i'll mention it to him, and many thanks ...

    jb
    __________________
    keep the faith ...

    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

     
    Old 01-20-2004, 04:08 PM   #8
    Halley50
    Junior Member
     
    Halley50's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Aug 2003
    Location: USA
    Posts: 14
    Halley50 HB User
    Re: what is a brain lesion?

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jinglebts
    i've been seeing a neurogist for years and never heard of that disease, but i'll mention it to him, and many thanks ...

    jb
    I hope you find out the cause. ADEM (Acute Disseminated Encephamylitis Disease) is rare, so would not be uncommon for it not to be the first thing they look for. Keep me posted. Halley

     
    Old 01-21-2004, 02:51 PM   #9
    jinglebts
    Senior Veteran
    (female)
     
    Join Date: Mar 2003
    Location: ottawa, ontario, canada
    Posts: 2,203
    jinglebts HB Userjinglebts HB User
    Re: what is a brain lesion?

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Halley50
    I hope you find out the cause. ADEM (Acute Disseminated Encephamylitis Disease) is rare, so would not be uncommon for it not to be the first thing they look for. Keep me posted. Halley
    thanks -- at my next neuro visit, i'll mention it ... is there any treatment?

    jb
    __________________
    keep the faith ...

    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

     
    Old 01-22-2004, 05:05 PM   #10
    jinglebts
    Senior Veteran
    (female)
     
    Join Date: Mar 2003
    Location: ottawa, ontario, canada
    Posts: 2,203
    jinglebts HB Userjinglebts HB User
    Re: what is a brain lesion?

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Halley50
    My husband was diagnosed with Acute Disseminated Encephamylitis Disease after they found lesions on his brain. Have you seen a neurologist? The doctor says it is a kin to MS, but not as bad. Hope this helps. Halley
    how was it DX'd? what are his symptoms? mine are right-side weakness and loss of balance ...

    jb
    __________________
    keep the faith ...

    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

    Last edited by jinglebts; 01-22-2004 at 05:06 PM.

     
    Closed Thread

    Related Topics
    Thread Thread Starter Board Replies Last Post
    What does my brain MRI mean? Anymator2007 Multiple Sclerosis 3 02-25-2010 08:59 AM
    What Diseases Cause Brain Lesions ed74 Brain Tumors 6 04-08-2009 05:42 AM
    Lung cancer spread to brain lorraine1685 Family & Friends of Cancer Patients 7 03-20-2009 07:39 PM
    what causes brain lesions? theresa78 Brain Tumors 4 10-26-2008 08:30 PM
    when your finger go numb in Ms what is happening? LAW30 Multiple Sclerosis 24 10-13-2008 10:02 AM
    Please help me, what do these MRI results mean? In idiot terms please... Barry27 Brain & Nervous System Disorders 1 09-17-2007 02:43 PM
    life span of a brain lesion? smudge Multiple Sclerosis 1 01-12-2005 02:56 PM




    Thread Tools Search this Thread
    Search this Thread:

    Advanced Search

    Posting Rules
    You may not post new threads
    You may not post replies
    You may not post attachments
    You may not edit your posts

    BB code is On
    Smilies are On
    [IMG] code is Off
    HTML code is Off
    Trackbacks are Off
    Pingbacks are Off
    Refbacks are Off




    Sign Up Today!

    Ask our community of thousands of members your health questions, and learn from others experiences. Join the conversation!

    I want my free account

    All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:32 AM.





    © 2022 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved.
    Do not copy or redistribute in any form!