It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Brain & Nervous System Disorders Message Board

• what is a brain lesion?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-07-2003, 04:39 PM   #1
    don drake

don drake HB User
    what is a brain lesion?

I've just been told that I have a brain lesion on the back of my brain. What is a brain lesion? Is it the begining of a tumor? I do not have MS. I'am Gulf War veteran and I was in nerve gas attack in Jan. of 91 just south of the Kuwati border. The doctors also said that I have significant brain damage as a result of oxygen deprivation. But I really need to know what a brain lesion is. Can anyone answer this question? thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-08-2003, 12:32 PM   #2
    markush

markush HB User
    Re: what is a brain lesion?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by don drake
    I've just been told that I have a brain lesion on the back of my brain. What is a brain lesion? Is it the begining of a tumor? I do not have MS. I'am Gulf War veteran and I was in nerve gas attack in Jan. of 91 just south of the Kuwati border. The doctors also said that I have significant brain damage as a result of oxygen deprivation. But I really need to know what a brain lesion is. Can anyone answer this question? thanks
    Im sorry for your problems and I hope everything will be ok for you. Im not 100% sure what a lesion is since english isnt my first language but Im pretty sure its an expansion in the head. This means it could be anything and not neccessarily a tumor, it could be a vascular malformation or a cyst. Also remember that there are a lot of benign tumors.
    Good luck and the best of wishes.
    /Markus

Old 12-08-2003, 04:25 PM   #3
    butterflytrans
    Senior Veteran

butterflytrans HB Userbutterflytrans HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by markush
    Im sorry for your problems and I hope everything will be ok for you. Im not 100% sure what a lesion is since english isnt my first language but Im pretty sure its an expansion in the head. This means it could be anything and not neccessarily a tumor, it could be a vascular malformation or a cyst. Also remember that there are a lot of benign tumors.
    Good luck and the best of wishes.
    /Markus
    Markus has gotten most of it, but lesions don't just have to be masses. They can be ANY abnormality that you see with any radiological study. A lesion can be one of: tumour, vascular malformation, dead brain tissue, calcification, blood, pus, atrophy etc. etc. etc. of course, certain ones of those that I listed above are much less likely and that's why you have to have a good history and physical of the patient to correlate how the patient is feeling and what's on the CT. If a patient is totally asymptomatic, for example, it's unlikely to be dead brain tissue (i.e. an old stroke), or blood.

Old 12-08-2003, 09:36 PM   #4
    jinglebts
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

jinglebts HB Userjinglebts HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by butterflytrans
    If a patient is totally asymptomatic, for example, it's unlikely to be dead brain tissue (i.e. an old stroke), or blood.
    i agree, except with that last: i've had one lesion (an area of dead tissue) that has caused me to have right-side weakness (that means it's on the left side of my brain), and another on the right that's caused no symptoms at all ... much brain tissue isn't used for anything, hence the absence of any deficit from the lesion on the right ...

i should explain that no one knows what i have; i'm not a gulf war veteran, my career is in tech. editing, and this so-called "stroke", which occurred in 1996, is still a mystery -- neither a clot nor an aneurism ... (i've had more tests than a pincushion) ...

hope you're alright ...

jb

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 12-18-2003, 05:53 AM   #5
    Marimac
    Senior Veteran

Marimac HB UserMarimac HB User

Quote:
    A brain lesion is just a tissue injury. If you got a cut on your arm and cut look at it but it was not bleeding and was trying to heal, that would be a lesion. In your brain, it is an area of tissue that has been injured, or is changing cell structure for what ever reason. If you were oxygen deprived, that would change the tissue structure by causing cell death to some of the tissue. It sounds frightening but sometimes means nothing more than changed tissue.

Old 01-04-2004, 04:43 PM   #6
    Halley50

Halley50 HB User

Quote:
    My husband was diagnosed with Acute Disseminated Encephamylitis Disease after they found lesions on his brain. Have you seen a neurologist? The doctor says it is a kin to MS, but not as bad. Hope this helps. Halley

Old 01-04-2004, 05:32 PM   #7
    jinglebts
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Halley50
    My husband was diagnosed with Acute Disseminated Encephamylitis Disease after they found lesions on his brain. Have you seen a neurologist? The doctor says it is a kin to MS, but not as bad. Hope this helps. Halley
    i've been seeing a neurogist for years and never heard of that disease, but i'll mention it to him, and many thanks ...

jb

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 01-20-2004, 04:08 PM   #8
    Halley50

Halley50 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jinglebts
    i've been seeing a neurogist for years and never heard of that disease, but i'll mention it to him, and many thanks ...

jb
    I hope you find out the cause. ADEM (Acute Disseminated Encephamylitis Disease) is rare, so would not be uncommon for it not to be the first thing they look for. Keep me posted. Halley

Old 01-21-2004, 02:51 PM   #9
    jinglebts
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Quote:
    I hope you find out the cause. ADEM (Acute Disseminated Encephamylitis Disease) is rare, so would not be uncommon for it not to be the first thing they look for. Keep me posted. Halley
    thanks -- at my next neuro visit, i'll mention it ... is there any treatment?

jb

Old 01-22-2004, 05:05 PM   #10
    jinglebts
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Quote:
    how was it DX'd? what are his symptoms? mine are right-side weakness and loss of balance ...

jb

Last edited by jinglebts; 01-22-2004 at 05:06 PM.

Closed Thread