It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Brain & Nervous System Disorders Message Board

• 24 Year Old Male Needs Your Help!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-29-2004, 04:55 PM   #1
    uofmchris

uofmchris HB User
    24 Year Old Male Needs Your Help!

Hey Everyone!

I have read these boards for a while but have yet to post till now. Well I'm to the point where I am quite confused with what's going on in my body and I certainly would appreciate any help that you can provide. I am a 24 year old male who has been living on the road doing promotional marketing tours and has a significant medical history.

Self - Cancer (Wilms Tumor - Kidney) - Age 4
    Spinal Meningitis - Age 4
    Double Pneumonia - Age 4
    Father - Epileptic as a result of Ensephalitis
    Mother - Rheumatoid Arthritis
    Twin Brother - Benign Tumor in his C6 area
    Grandpa - Alzheimers

Below are my symptoms and most of them I have had for the past 15-16 months. As I'm sure you can imagine I am a bit worried about my health. Thanks in advance for any help that you may be able to provide.

1. Weird headache - not really pain but pressure that jumps from certain areas of my head throughout the day.
    2. Loss of Concentration and Focus
    3. Forgetfullness - sometimes lose things, get sidetracked easily
    4. Muscle Twitching - left eyelid, legs, left thumb, sometimes other
    5. Constant Sore Throat - Even after I got my chronically inflamed tonsils out in Jan. I have sore throats often and somewhat of a different feeling when I swallow. (somewhat of an incomplete swallow)
    6. Some Coordination problems - although I have always been a little uncoordinated I fear that I've gotten worse dropping things quite often
    7. Full head feeling - like my ears are plugged up
    8. Stiff Neck - Feel like I need to massage my neck or crack it
    9. Problems Sleeping - Although I don't have problems getting to sleep sometimes I have issues with waking up and lately nightmares doubting my memory.
    10. Depression - due to all of the above
    11. Som fatigue, muscle pain and cramps
    11. Feeling of always having to cross my legs when sitting, and if I'm not doing anything with my hands I have to put them together. When I drive I can only drive with one hand on the wheel and it has to be kept low or else my arm gets tired. I often tuck the other hand underneath my leg. (weird?)

If anyone shares some or all of these symptoms could you please share what treatments you have found to be beneficial. Today I just resigned from my job to get off the road and try to resume a "normal" life. Although I know that the stress and inconsistency of my job certainly hasn't helped the situation it is ultimately my health that is causing the most stress. I certainly hope that I don't have any life threatening illness such as Alzheimer's like my Grandpa or Lou Gehrig's. I'm confident though that if I could beat all my illnesses at the age of 4, I can be victorious in this fight. My thoughts and prayers are with everyone out there who suffers. Life is a blessing but one hell of a challenge as well. I guess I have to remember that God doesn't present us issues/problems that we can't tackle.

Thinking positively!

Chris

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-29-2004, 07:39 PM   #2
    foshizzle

foshizzle HB User
    Re: 24 Year Old Male Needs Your Help!

I dont want to radically simplify things, but all your symptoms can be caused by stress....i have had all of your problems in the past. Counseling therapy and medicinal treatment for anxiety have helped me tremendously. I still, however, suffer from the full headead feeling so if you find a cure, let me know.

hang in there

Old 03-30-2004, 05:03 AM   #3
    feelbad
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

Hi Chris, got a big question for ya.Have you seen a Dr regarding your symptoms?I didn't see anywhere in your post that you have had any type of tests done or anything.like the above poster mentioned,some of your symptoms could be related to stress,but some ,i think really need to be looked into.

Just exactly ,what was the benign tumor all about,regarding your brother?I only ask as some different types of tumors or lesions can be hereditary.i see your board name has U of M in it, is that referring to the university of MN?(been there,done that)Have you seen a doc there?If these symptoms are effecting your life enough that you had to resign from your job, you really need to see a Doc about this,and hopefully he can get an MRI done on you to see if there is anything 'in there".take care Chris, Marcia

Old 03-30-2004, 07:52 AM   #4
    uofmchris

uofmchris HB User

See Post Below

Last edited by uofmchris; 03-30-2004 at 07:56 AM. Reason: Had to add something

Old 03-30-2004, 07:54 AM   #5
    uofmchris

uofmchris HB User

Marcia,

About one year ago excatly I saw a neurologist and got an MRI done of my Brain and of my Cervical spine which did not really show anything except some straightening of my spine. I have also got blood work done (showed a higher than normal white blood cell count) and everything has pretty much shown up normal. I have not lost any strength in my muscles but I'm just perplexed about what's going on. I have seen several different doctors (naturally because of my job on the road) and have also been to a chiropractor, massage therapist, and physical therapy for my symptoms. Over the past year I have been given muscle relaxors, loritab (never needed cause my head doesn't hurt that bad), and put on Paxil to deal with the stress / depression (Off now). My brother's cyst was benign and in the c6 area of his spine where it actually hollowed out some of the bone (I think). He had surgery to remove the cyst and impact it with some bone from his hip. He is now doing well and told me that he has had issues with his muscles twitching as well.

The U of M actually stands for the University of Michigan where I graduated from 2 1/2 years ago and where I am indebted for curing me of my childhood cancer.

Thanks for your help.

Chris

Old 05-11-2004, 08:38 PM   #6
    intrepid fool

intrepid fool HB User

Chronic Fatigue Syndrome? So many of the sympyoms match.

Closed Thread