HealthBoards

HealthBoards (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Brain & Nervous System Disorders (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/brain-nervous-system-disorders/)
-   -   Being treated for cervical dizziness (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/brain-nervous-system-disorders/171524-being-treated-cervical-dizziness.html)

Filmrobe 05-04-2004 07:10 PM

Being treated for cervical dizziness

I recently started a program designed to treat dizziness symptoms at the Helen Hayes Rehab center in New York State. It deals strictly with cervical dizziness.

I just want to report that within the context of a regular exercise program and some conservative strenghtening exercises, the treatment I am currently receiving, which focuses primarily on the neck region, is bringing some positive results.

To those of you who have an interest in this area, I'll be happy to provide as much feedback as possible as the treatment, which is about halfway through, progresses. BobF

stackzone 05-05-2004 01:58 PM

Re: Being treated for cervical dizziness

Great,
Keep us updated on your progress!

Christine 35 05-06-2004 09:45 AM

Hi Bob,

Im really pleased you are seeing some progress - that is great.

I would be interested in any info you could give me as I am convinced my dizziness is from my neck - because of the crunching noises and because of how certain positions (ie head forward) bring the dizziness on.

I dont think they really recognise cervical dizziness here in the UK.

Good luck, hope things get better and better

Christine

Filmrobe 05-11-2004 07:54 PM

Hi, Christine, thank you for your comments. Your symptoms are very similar to mine in all respects, even including the tendency for the dizziness to ease up somewhat in the evenings. At some point I'd be interested to know if you've had any traumas that could have contributed to the problem. For example, in my case, although it is not of recent origin, I suffered untreated whiplash some years before the onset of the problem. But there are other factors as well, like the fact that as a computer pogrammer, for years I sat at my desk, with a tense, slouching posture, trying to deliver completed software modules under very tight schedules. It would be interesting to learn a little of your background in these respects as well.

In any event I have three more sessions of therapy, mostly involving (but not limited to) the neck region. As mentioned earlier, with all the therapy I've had over time, there has been overall improvement to my condition. As you imagine, the fact that I retired a few years ago, itself, has helped mediate my suffering. However, there definitely instances of heightened duress. Bending forward, for example, when I am forced to perform a chore, definitely increases the dizziness (or as you say, fogginess)
symptom.

I promise to give you more detail as to the effect of the various treatments applied in P.T., but I'll be more thorough in this respect when I am finished with it.

In the meantime, feel entirely free to ask me about anything that occurs to you -- and let me know what your currently doing to deal with the problem.

Hope you feel better, BobF (USA)

Christine 35 05-13-2004 03:15 AM

Hi Bob,

Good to hear from you again. I have always had probs with my neck since I used to sleep on my stomach constantly with my neck twisted. When I was about 18 I turned in bed one night and pulled my neck so bad I couldnt move it and wore a cervical collar for a few weeks. I had a year of terrible neck pain during which time I visited an osteopath to get some relief. I had a few brief bouts of dizziness, but nothing much.

Interestingly enough I have been doing an office job for 18 years slouched over a desk constantly trying to stick to deadlines. I had a few bouts of dizziness while looking down to get things out of my desk draw. Then about 6 years ago the dizziness became my constant companion, along with the other things, fatigue, blurred vision headaches, etc. Working is making this so much worse, but I need the money. When my neck is tight or tense this seems to bring the dizziness on, like when concentrating (being on the computer) This is why I am sure it is my neck and not my ears, like most docs think. When I am laid in bed I am not too bad - do you find this?

Anyway, Im not doing anything at the moment - had to stop the latest med as I was allergic to it. My Doc says he will try me with a different one in a couple of weeks.

We do seems to have a lot of similarities - keep in touch,

Christine

Filmrobe 05-13-2004 06:38 AM

Christine, we definitely do have a similar symptoms, plus occupational pitfalls
as well. Like you, I do pretty well when lying down. However, often when a I've been lying on the couch, rising to a standing position can make me feel like I'm blacking out. I sometimes experience a reaction to bright daylight on my visual field, when it seems like the rods and cones that my vision rests on is crumbling, and all that's left is blinding light. Finally, there's the problem of humid weather, which we are currently experiencing along the east coast, that aggravates all the fogginess in my head, and imposes I tangible weight
on my spine.

I think if I were born into this world thick-boned, rather than 'ectomorphic'
I would have fared a lot better in this respect. I have recently felt that the seemingly central role that the cervical spine plays in all this is in reality part of a conspiracy being played out through my anatomical backbone. Whenever, through my physical exercises, or the relief afforded by my therapist, I experience relief in the neck region, inevitably my lower back kicks in. Because of this I believe that any resolution, ultimately, has to deal
with the whole length of the spine.

Over time I will have managed at the complition of my current neck therapy
(I go again today) to have received enough exercises that i can do at home
covering practically every component of my head, back, legs, and shoulders.

Sometimes it is almost funny. Or, as a book title I once came across suggested, I've been down so long, it looks like up! Keep in touch... BobF

Filmrobe 05-21-2004 08:55 AM

This is the follow-up to my post I initiated on being treated for cervical dizziness, and is basically an assessment of the outcome of my recently concluded treatment. The text that follows is largely a duplicate of text I made in response to another thread on dizziness touches on very similar themes and treatment concerns.
==========================================================

The physical therapy for my complaint of neck-induced dizziness consisted of various exercises and hands-on manipulation of the head and neck region, but included a bout of having my head / neck hooked up to an automated traction machine as well. The latter technique, which was aimed at stretching my neck outward while lying down, was short-lived, because, after leaving the clinic the day that particular procedure was applied, I experienced a reaction to bright daylight that rendered me almost literally blind. I should mention that I have had this reaction not uncommonly, without
traction.

In any event both the therapist and i agreed it would be judicious to forego the automated traction in favor of a more gentle manual approach, which I henceforth received on each visit.

It would be fair to say that I walked away from the final treatment with approximately
a dozen or so new exercises to add to the repertoire that I've managed to arm myself with over the last 10 years. And I might add, I do these religiously -- in my own fashion, it would be fair to say.

Let's say that my approach to dealing with my problem has always been self-directed physical intervention as opposed to external medical, particularly because my doctor rarely, these days, suggests that I have anything that is treatable. I For the most part I walk around feeling like someone just hit me over the head with a frying pan.

Anyway, before closing let me suggest what in a nutshell I concluded from this bout of therapeutic intervention. I can't any longer subscribe to the belief that the neck is the locus of my dizziness problems (although I do believe that my back problems strated
from the neck and worked its way down my mid and lower back). Whenever in the couse of the therapy my neck tension and soreness were relieved, symptoms would be felt in my mid-back region; and when, subsequetly the therapy was inclined to move in that direction, I became keenly aware of the blatant soreness in the lowest reached of my spine. Clearing one pain path only succeeded in exposes others, seemingly through a process of migration.

In the end, both my therapist and I agreed that if the symtoms in head were a result of my spine. the whole path of the spine is implicated. In effect, I have merely enlarged the scope of my exercise program to include --- let's face it --- not just the spine, all parts of my body. But what I walked away with was very specific exercises having exclusively to do with the neck and head region.

The bottom line is that while my latest therapy did not resolve any problems, it even enhanced a few in the short term -- I became more aware of my body's response to a variety of physical interventions and the "potential" of these resources to counteract painful symptoms over time.

But let me not mislead you, to this day I experience disarming dizzy spells, even when
I have completed one or another of these exercises, and raise my body from the floor,
often having to hold on to the nearest piece of furniture.

My goal is to get beyond this. What hope I have is that overall, in spite of the severity of this reaction (i.e., the severe dizziness associated with physical transitions), I feel I am now better equipped to learn how to manage the symptoms, if not master them, and perhaps decrease the frequency of the really "bad" bouts.
While I can also say in retrospect that my daily suffering used to be measurably worse on the average, in all fairness I must point out that I don't have to cope with the stress of daily employment. Thankfully, I am retired, and do not have that concern hanging over me.

Nonetheless I am firmly convinced that those of you who are young and of employment age have the time and the resilience to overcome the harsh nature of these symptoms, is spite of their emotionally depressing aspect.