It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Brain & Nervous System Disorders Message Board

• CT scan vs. MRI

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-02-2004, 05:17 PM   #16
    feelbad
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User
    Re: CT scan vs. MRI

catlady, please give me an update.Wating to hear what you found out today. Marcia

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-02-2004, 05:39 PM   #17
    CrazyCatLady

CrazyCatLady HB User

Ah yes, today. Saw the neuro this morning. He was a nice guy. He asked me very detailed questions about my symptoms and then did various tests, reflexes, did something with a tuning fork and decided he needed to poke me with needles (to check for sensation, or lack thereof), made me walk heel-to-toe, made me stand on my heels and toes, checked my visual field, tried to look in my eyes with no success (I'm not surprised), etc.

He watched me walk and he asked me how long I have had "that limp" for. Didn't realize I had a limp! I found out I have no sensation in my feet up to just below my knee on the left and mid-calf on the right to the needle stick. My Achilles reflexes are basically nonexistant. I can't stand on my heels or toes, nor can I heel-to-toe walk; he had to hold me up and I nearly fell over! My visual field is diminished. Everything else seemed to be ok despite the fact that he thinks I had a partial seizure in the office (According to him, I just stopped talking and started wringing my hands for maybe five seconds, but I picked up talking where I left off, as if nothing happened.).

Then he looked at my MRI. Just to review, the radiologist read it as normal. Well, the neurologist thought otherwise. According to the neurologist, my MRI showed evidence of a small stroke in the back of my brain and mild to moderate cerebral palsy! YIKES! I can walk fine and I have no problems when it comes to intellect, besides the fact that it seems my memory goes down the toilet lately. I'll admit to being a bit clumsy and losing balance easily. Wow. I'm nearly 20 and they didn't find that sooner? He couldn't tell when I had the stroke. The only things he said about that were: A stroke at the back of the brain is rare and that he couldn't tell me if it definitely had to do with my visual disturbances. He said it was mild and, coincidentally, it's in the place where I have my headaches.

I go for an EEG on Monday morning at the hospital. Oh, the fun that shall ensue! He hasn't mentioned anything about PTC or doing an LP yet, but I didn't mention it. He is seeing me again soon and said I could call him with whatever questions I had.

So, that's what's happened so far. I think we're all a little bit floored still over the MRI results. My mom is angry that it was originally read as normal, but is glad we got a second opinion.

I will let you know how the EEG goes.

Old 01-02-2004, 06:16 PM   #18
    feelbad
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

catlady, that is really unbelievable! If there is one thing that I have learned after all of the radiology crap that I have had to have over the last two years it is, never trust the radiologists report completely.Unfortunetly, the way a radiologist reads films, and what they see is entirely dependant on the what THEY see,not always what is actually there,you know?that is why it is imperitive to bring your films to any neuro appt.They have a much better eye for seeing what is important and relavent to your specific symptoms and signs.I cannot even begin to name all of the contradictory readings I had when i compare all of the reports.They don't even all seem like they all came from the same person. You know, as you were explaining your symptoms throughout the several postings that you made, I started thinking about just how much they sounded like what happened to my mom a few years ago.She called me early in the day one day and was complaining about this really bad migrane she had that wouldn't go away.Both my mom and I get migranes and we both get that little aura of flashes and spots in the eyes right before the actual headache starts.Well, she had had these flashes for over three hours that morning and they didn't respond to her usual meds(usually as soon as the aura starts, you take two midrin and within 45-to an hour, the eyes clear up and the headache subsides)she just figured that the Rx was old and not working for her.Well, four hours later she still has the spots and flashes and by this time I am getting a little worried as the spots and headache could be being caused by something a little more ominous.So she finally went to the ER,they immediatly did an MRI and guess what? Small stroke in the back of her brain.She was given many tests and they kept her for about a week.I cannot remember exactly what all they gave her for meds,but she is doing just great now,and once they gave her treatment for the stroke, the spots slowly started to subside.She just has like one or two questionable areas of slightly obstructed vision now.But they are not in her main line of vision.I don't blame your mom for being upset about the reading of the films,that is just rediculous.I hope everything goes well for you on monday catlady.You are definitely in my thoughts and prayers.Please keep me posted okay. Hang in there! Marcia

Closed Thread